PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Eyesore

Buttercup
04-Oct-06, 17:42
How much more money is the council going to waste on that derelict building in Princes St/ Sir John's Sq? What is the point of keeping it just because it's a "listed building"? It is simply an eyesore that is unsafe and should be taken down - with the owner responsible for the costs involved.

Sandra
04-Oct-06, 18:08
Hopefully the Structural Engineer will say it should be condemned and demolished.

dragonfly
04-Oct-06, 18:32
and hopefully they will start chasing him now for the premises he owns just across the road as its starting to look like a dump too...early intervention in that may stop another shambles like this one [evil]

fender
04-Oct-06, 19:14
And the old night club in Wick.Please someone knock it down. Also the buildings across the road. I saw lights on there the other night. Do folk actually live in that!

dozy
04-Oct-06, 20:33
Well i'm sorry to say but I thinks it's the Taxpayer that will end up footing the bill .If the Council Compulsory Purchase the building , they would have to pay the market value and still have to spend money on either making it safe or pulling it down .So it's a WIN,WIN for the owner .The price would be somewere around £125-150,000 even more if the potential for housing is used ,and the price goes up and up ...Who said honesty pays ...Oh yes a foul...

Victor Vendetta
04-Oct-06, 23:58
"Well i'm sorry to say but I thinks it's the Taxpayer that will end up footing the bill .If the Council Compulsory Purchase the building , they would have to pay the market value and still have to spend money on either making it safe or pulling it down .So it's a WIN,WIN for the owner."

Yes I think you are 100% correct and I suspect it was purchased with just such an outcome in mind.

It is difficult for the council and a big drain on resources.

But believe me what goes around comes around, no one benefits in the long term if they act like that. Their greed and sleight of hand eventually catches up with them.

Some would say it already has

angela5
05-Oct-06, 09:20
And the old night club in Wick.Please someone knock it down. Also the buildings across the road. I saw lights on there the other night. Do folk actually live in that!

Lol fender, i asked about that haunted looking house a while back. I was told it was used by staff from the Mercury Hotel.:eek:

Bobinovich
05-Oct-06, 10:36
Let's take market value at 110,000 - I personally wouldn't give you £1.10 for it but what the hey!

Subtract from that the cost of the work done to date - say £10,000...

...and the cost of pulling it down and clearing up the site - £20,000...

...now let's compensate the nearby businesses and individuals who have had to put up with it most - definately a good £30,000...

...and while we're at it some compensation to Thurso Community for having had to put up with it for so long £50,000 - split between a number of worthy Thurso causes of course...

...now lets see what the British taxpayer should give him - YEP, A BIG FAT NOTHING! :mad:

BTW Please don't take any of my figures as being accurate - they're just pulled from my heid - a bit like my hair over the money grabbing slimeball who's waiting for a nice lumpsum to line their pocket [evil] .

Fran
06-Oct-06, 02:40

This building is owned by a doctor who used to live in it before moving away, he was shocked by the condition of it. I feel sorry for the hotel people who have to live there as the kitchen window is broken and boarded up and the upstairs lounge windows are all broken, looks like someone has been throwing stones at the windows. I would imagine it was a lovely house at one time.