PDA

View Full Version : Wireless networking - router

Sandra
04-Oct-06, 17:34
I have a Wifi enabled laptop (which uses a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection, also has a PCMCIA port).

I have broadband and use AOL as my ISP.

I would also like to connect a personal computer to this, which has a Ethernet 10.100 LAN card and USB ports.

Can anyone recommend which routers would be best (easiest to use) to create a wireless network.

Many thanks.

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 19:36
I have a Wifi enabled laptop (which uses a Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 network connection, also has a PCMCIA port).

I have broadband and use AOL as my ISP.

I would also like to connect a personal computer to this, which has a Ethernet 10.100 LAN card and USB ports.

Can anyone recommend which routers would be best (easiest to use) to create a wireless network.

Many thanks.

Hi Sandra,

Is your AOL modem USB or does it have ethernet ports?

Sandra
04-Oct-06, 20:43
Hi

My AOL modem is USB.

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 21:23
Hi

My AOL modem is USB.

Hi Sandra,

AOL is a little tricky to set modems up for (other than their own) but things are a lot better than they used to be. You'll need a router to replace your USB modem.

I had a quick check on the internet. Two modems that came up were the Dlink G604T and the Netgear DG834G which allow AOL access through them. The only thing that seems to be required is that you set the MTU to 1400. Other than that it just seems to work. I've setup numerous Netgear routers so I can recommend these.

Both of these routers have wireless capability so when you get them working with AOL you can set that up for your laptop.

I have a spare Netgear DG834G for sale and if you want to buy it I'll even come round and set it up for you - if we can't get it to work with AOL I'll take it back. Can't say fairer than that. PM me if you're interested.

Tony
08-Oct-06, 16:48
Hello!
I would recommend you contact your ISP for suitable equipment as this is uaually cheaper, operates correctly including easier installation/setup and use along with warranty, technical support and updates of software/firmware.
A quote from another helpful member (blueivy) reinforces this as stated below.

AOL is a little tricky to set modems up for (other than their own)

blueivy
08-Oct-06, 16:53
Hello!
I would recommend you contact your ISP for suitable equipment as this is uaually cheaper, operates correctly including easier installation/setup and use along with warranty, technical support and updates of software/firmware.
A quote from another helpful member (blueivy) reinforces this as stated below.

AOL is a little tricky to set modems up for (other than their own)

Hi Tony,

While it is tricky to do, it can be done. There are many guides on the internet on setting up a non-AOL modem/router with AOL. Two that I found gave advice on Netgear DG824G and a DLink modem (whose model I didn't notice). It seems to hinge on the fact that AOL use an MTU of 1400 which is unusual. If your modem can be setup for this, then it seems it would work without problem.

Bobinovich
08-Oct-06, 18:02
Depending on which package you're on and how long you've been with AOL you might be able to persuade them to upgrade you to a wireless router for nothing as they're currently offering such a deal for all new AOL subscribers.

Just tell them you'll change to another ISP if you can't get the same offer that's currently available and it's amazing what they'll offer to keep your business.

It's better than paying £50+ for a router plus if they supply it then they will also support you with any problems you have in the future which they may not with 3rd party models.

Hope that helps