PDA

View Full Version : from mfr web site

Mr P Cannop
04-Oct-06, 12:15
A Caithness councilor is giving his backing to plans to restore the town's transport link to the Faroes after a gap of 12 years. Talks are underway to bring back the 12 week ferry service to Scrabster harbour. The Norrona would arrive once a week at the port as part of proposed changes to the super ferry's North Atlantic route.

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 12:18
Is this for next year or earlier?

trinkie
04-Oct-06, 12:19
Sounds interesting - thank you for posting that Paul.

Will wait and see what happens.

Victor Vendetta
04-Oct-06, 12:23
That will impact on the daily life of the majority of Caithnessians not a lot. Sounds like there is the possibility of a free trip to Torshavn and a pot of sheeps heid stew for our enamoured dignitaries. In some cases the heid of the sheep may contain more sense than that of the councillor. How about a new recipe thread regarding "Councillor Heid Soup" mind you it would probably be full of mince!

j4bberw0ck
04-Oct-06, 12:57
Talks are underway to bring back the 12 week ferry service to Scrabster harbour.

That would be good news indeed - though not for the Shetlanders (SIC is suing Smyril for breach of contract for pulling out of Lerwick before the existing contract expires in 2008). Would Norrona get in to Scrabster? It looks about twice the size of the Northlink boats, but presumably if they're talking, someone thinks it will.

There was a rumour that Smyril would go to Rosyth.

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 13:40
from a quick google, i found these stats on the Norrona :)

Gross Registered Tonnage 38,915 Passenger Capacity 1,482 Car Capacity 634 Year Built 1003 Service Speed 21 knots Length 164.5m Beam 30m Draft 6.1m Builders Flender Werft, Germany
she is roughly 40m longer than the hjatland and hrossey and they in turn are 20m longer than the hamnavoe. as a guide the hamnavoe is roughly 8,600 tonnes, so there is a hek of a difference here! the norrona is also at least 11m wider than the hamnavoe and the draft differnce between the two is just less than 2m.

draw your own conclusions as to whether it will fit or not, the biggest one i have seen on the new pier was Minnerva II a couple of years back at approximately 40,000T.

j4bberw0ck
04-Oct-06, 13:56
Fair enough; thanks for the stats. The only time I ever saw the Norrona and the Hjaltland together was in Lerwick, from the road into town from the harbour. It gave a good view from an elevated position. Hjaltland looked as though she'd fit on Norrona's car deck!

I for one would be delighted if the service came to Scrabster.

brokencross
04-Oct-06, 18:38
The BBC version of same news
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/5405798.stm

This may be the ship http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Smyril.html#anchor139855 built in 2003 and not 1003 as Tugmistress's typo

clash67
04-Oct-06, 20:47
That will impact on the daily life of the majority of Caithnessians not a lot. Sounds like there is the possibility of a free trip to Torshavn and a pot of sheeps heid stew for our enamoured dignitaries. In some cases the heid of the sheep may contain more sense than that of the councillor. How about a new recipe thread regarding "Councillor Heid Soup" mind you it would probably be full of mince!
I had to have a wee chuckle at your post...very good.lol[lol]