PDA

View Full Version : pre warning ... high tides, low pressure, wind

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 11:03
just looking through the charts and this is just a pre warning - and it may change yet! - but it is currently looking like the high tides of the 7th/8th of this month may be accompanied by some quite strong winds and a low barometric pressure.
if you haven't a clue what i just said, all it means is that the lower the air pressure, the more the sea rises, so the high tides are higher than normal, the wind is looking to be in a south/westerly direction which isn't too bad thankfully, but it may be worth just checking on your boats or whatever over the weekend.
i would rather say something and it not happen than not say something and it did ;)

:o

Cattach
04-Oct-06, 11:26
just looking through the charts and this is just a pre warning - and it may change yet! - but it is currently looking like the high tides of the 7th/8th of this month may be accompanied by some quite strong winds and a low barometric pressure.
if you haven't a clue what i just said, all it means is that the lower the air pressure, the more the sea rises, so the high tides are higher than normal, the wind is looking to be in a south/westerly direction which isn't too bad thankfully, but it may be worth just checking on your boats or whatever over the weekend.
i would rather say something and it not happen than not say something and it did ;)

:o

On TV and Radio you can get half a dozen different forecasts within half an hour! Is your any more accurate?

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 11:39
i'll not answer that one myself cattach, i'll let other people who have seen the results they have asked for answer.
:roll:

unicorn
04-Oct-06, 11:48
your forecasts are excellent tuggs keep up the good work.

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 11:52
On TV and Radio you can get half a dozen different forecasts within half an hour! Is your any more accurate?

As an ex-golfer, I'll say "You can't beat local knowledge"!:)
I recently asked for a weather update and Tugmistress was right on the button.:cool:

Whitewater
04-Oct-06, 12:36
Thanks for that Tugmistress, hopefully I'll be in sunny Florida then so it's "Au Revoir" to the org for a few weeks.

cuddlepop
04-Oct-06, 13:52
Thanks Tuggy its better to be prepared.Think there's also a full moon at the weekend which will just add to the :pressure::eek:

Kaishowing
04-Oct-06, 15:00
I would trust Tugmistress over the BBC anyday. We seem to be on our own little weather pattern up here, and to get a hint of a correct forcast you need to take a bit from the forcast for Inverness, or Aberdeen and then the Islands and mix and match!
Much quicker and more accurate to just listen to Tugmistress first! :)

goldenguernsey
04-Oct-06, 18:52
Thanks Tugmistress, will keep an eye out for our little boat.

clash67
04-Oct-06, 20:53
Thanks Tugmistress, good to get a heads up, I have a wee boat myself thankfully it is out of the water just now.

Ricco
04-Oct-06, 21:00
HI, Tuggs. Nice to see you about again. I have always read your reports and forecasts with interest. BTW, are you in a position to do a little photo montage of Scrabster and post it on your sight so that myself and others far from 'home' can have a little tour? Would owe you two drinks then.

Ta, Ricco:)

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 21:09
what would you like to see ricco? i am quite surei can do something for you :)

Ricco
04-Oct-06, 21:14
what would you like to see ricco? i am quite surei can do something for you :)
Ooo, a little stroll along past the Seaman's, then the sheds. A shot of the Upper Deck and then the ice house, followed by a shot from the end of the old St Ola pier towards Thurso. Then maybe a view up the road towards the lighthouse and then the lighthouse itself. :rolleyes:

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 21:22
i will take piccies tomorrow for you ricco and put them up and send you a link :D

Ricco
04-Oct-06, 21:32
i will take piccies tomorrow for you ricco and put them up and send you a link :D

You're a doll, Tuggs. Mucho gracias. :D

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 22:59
Proof of Tugmistresses great predictions - she PM'd me a few days beforehand and was right on the button for a great day's weather -

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i102/OpenandShut/HPIM1768.gif

Tugmistress
04-Oct-06, 23:18
and i am trying herd to get it right at 5 days or more in advance now :lol: though that depends on how much the charts get it right!

pedromcgrory
04-Oct-06, 23:59
and i am trying herd to get it right at 5 days or more in advance now :lol: though that depends on how much the charts get it right!
weather any good for a days pier fishing on saturday tuggs?

Tugmistress
05-Oct-06, 00:12
weather any good for a days pier fishing on saturday tuggs?

Depends on how well wrapped up you can fish lol.
wind will decrease during the day quite quickly going from n/w (about 35mph possible) to s/w (about 10mph) sometime soon after about 6pm , you shouldn't get soaked with rain but there may be a slight drizzle around, the morning will be worse than the evening, it isn't clear from the charts on that score yet, but temps gonna be a wee bit cool, about may 10c to 12c in general or maybe as high as 14c if the cloud thins out enough for some sun to pop through. factor in the wind chill, it will feel cooler!

edited here... looked this morning at different charts, could be quite heavy rain during sat early hours and drizzle later after a dry spell in the middle.

times are liable to vary a little, but that should give you a good idea :)

and just as an aside, this weather watch has just been issued ... taken from here (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=1;sess=; ) if you want to check out the times ;)
Weather type:
Wind and Rain

Alert risk period:
05/10/06 1200 until 06/10/06 2100

Alert details:
Watch
Wind and rain
This is a Watch for the areas mentioned for Thursday through into late Friday.

A depression moving off the western fringes of the UK, with the ex hurricane Isaac embedded in it is the cause. A secondary centre may form over southern areas during Friday and swing east.

Wind
South to south west winds of 25-35 with gusts 45-50mph are likely to affect western, southern and north western coastal areas, along with adjacent hills. During Friday the winds will veer more west to north west and may, briefly, increase 5-10 mph over the speeds quoted, before decreasing in all parts.

High tides are also expected during the same period.

Rainfall
Rainfall totals through Thursday into Friday may exceed 25mm in some western and a few central areas, chiefly over high ground.

This Watch may be upgraded to an Alert during tomorrow.

Cattach
05-Oct-06, 07:14
I would trust Tugmistress over the BBC anyday. We seem to be on our own little weather pattern up here, and to get a hint of a correct forcast you need to take a bit from the forcast for Inverness, or Aberdeen and then the Islands and mix and match!
Much quicker and more accurate to just listen to Tugmistress first! :)

Seems like the usual it might happen or it might not! Couple of quotes from the 'warning' -

‘and it may change yet!’ and ‘I would rather say something and it not happen than not say something and it did!’

Hedging bets is I think the phrase.

Tugmistress
05-Oct-06, 10:57
Cattach, it will only take a shift of 50 miles to the north for the centre of the low that is approaching for us to have something twice as bad.
Yes it is going to be very windy and very wet during the night of friday and early hours saturday, couple this with the high tides we are expecting and things could get extremely dodgy for a lot of boat owners, people on low lying land around the north coast that are open to a westerly swell.
if it shifts 50 miles south of the current projected place, then all will be well, we will have less wind, lower barometer pressure but still the high tide, not quite so much for these people to think about.
bring it on if you can do better :Razz

teritoots
05-Oct-06, 11:29
Well said Tugmistress! I've always listened to your weather reports and your far more reliable than BBC!
Cattach Tugmistress might be able to read the tools but she's not PSYCHIC :eek: (I hope that is how it's spelt)

kas
06-Oct-06, 15:50
Whats the latest Paula?

Quite a bit of rain this afternoon. Is the wind comming, I heard from the harbour it is supposed to pick up tonight.

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 16:16
yup it's coming later on tonight, or rather early hours of the morning, should be over the worst of it by lunch time tomorrow and it will die off quickly in the evening or thereabouts :)

acameron
06-Oct-06, 16:17
On your weather advice Tuggs, I am away for a wee bit of fishing tonight instead of tomorrow night.

j4bberw0ck
06-Oct-06, 16:33
Looking out of my window just now, I'd guess Caithness is being lashed with rain..... dark slate gray, right down to the sea.

When's it going to clear up, Tugmistress?

_Ju_
06-Oct-06, 16:56
Seems like the usual it might happen or it might not! Couple of quotes from the 'warning' -

‘and it may change yet!’ and ‘I would rather say something and it not happen than not say something and it did!’

Hedging bets is I think the phrase.

bah humbug!

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 17:06
Looking out of my window just now, I'd guess Caithness is being lashed with rain..... dark slate gray, right down to the sea.

When's it going to clear up, Tugmistress?

it's definately not nice!
we may get a brief respite or two tomorrow but not really until sunday afternoon for a few hours again, though it will change from medium to light rain :roll: (still one is as wet as the other lol).

acameron
06-Oct-06, 18:12
Can you predict if I am going to catch some seabass tonight Tuggs?

Billy Boy
06-Oct-06, 18:18

more like a cold lol[lol]

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 20:01

not a clue AC :) but if you get a decent one and a spare one, give me a shout i am partial to a bit of fresh bass :D

Ricco
06-Oct-06, 20:23
not a clue AC :) but if you get a decent one and a spare one, give me a shout i am partial to a bit of fresh bass :D

Aww, Tuggs! Wish I had known - I had ten a couple of weeks ago. I'll keep you in mind next time.

pultneytooner
06-Oct-06, 20:25
Thanks for that Tugmistress, hopefully I'll be in sunny Florida then so it's "Au Revoir" to the org for a few weeks.

You can always log on from florida.:D

Bakerbhoy
06-Oct-06, 21:40
Tuggs you do fabby, always go by your predictions for horses rugged or unrugged decisions!!! Keep it up I for one would be lost!!!!

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 21:47
Tuggs you do fabby, always go by your predictions for horses rugged or unrugged decisions!!! Keep it up I for one would be lost!!!!

Thanks, and to the others too, at least i know i am useful sometimes :Razz

highlander
06-Oct-06, 21:53
Tuggs do you know how strong the winds are going to get tonight, i noticed its sitting at 51mph gusts. Im scaredddddddd.

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 22:31
don't worry highlander, it wont get much worse than this, i'll be surprised if we get over 70 or 75mph gusts :) and if we do it will only be one or two.
btw, if anyone ends up with a heap of builders material bags in their garden down in scrabster, let me know! i forgot to weight them down :roll: and i ain't going outside in this!

canuck
06-Oct-06, 22:41
Hi Tugmistress,

Is this storm that you are describing the last bit of Hurricane Isaac which whipped through the Canadian Maritimes last weekend?

Tugmistress
06-Oct-06, 23:41
it is canuck yes :)