PDA

View Full Version : Email probs

porshiepoo
03-Oct-06, 23:58
I am on wanandoo broadband and everytime I try to send email to a friend on AOL I'm getting the email refused.
Can anyone help with this?

Cheers

Tiger Jones
04-Oct-06, 00:04
Are you certain you're using the correct e-mail address?

Have you sent to that address before without problems?

Is it only that friend who you can't get mail to?

porshiepoo
04-Oct-06, 08:04
Are you certain you're using the correct e-mail address?

Have you sent to that address before without problems?

Is it only that friend who you can't get mail to?

Yes everything definately correct and it is only this person that I can't send email to, I'm having to send pm's through the org which they seem to get.

Any ideas??????

Tiger Jones
04-Oct-06, 10:07
Can they send e-mail to you OK?

Are they getting mail from other people OK?

It could be that their settings are sending your stuff straight to their SPAM bin. Send a new mail or two and ask them to look in their trash folder.

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 10:41
Yes everything definately correct and it is only this person that I can't send email to, I'm having to send pm's through the org which they seem to get.

Any ideas??????

Hi porshiepoo,

Can you post the refusal message you are getting?

AOL are very strict abnout accepting mail. I know a number of people who simply have their mail refused, full stop. I also had problems not so long ago that I managed to work around. I also have a client who has problems sending mail to one of their clients who is on AOL. No rhyme or reason to it (and they don't get a refusal message it just never gets there).

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 11:05
AOL's equivalent of 'Spamguard' has caused a great many problems for folk sending to AOL customers - ISP blocking etc. A Genealogical Site I use (Message Boards and Mailing Lists) involving not just a few people but thousands, has had many many instances of the sort of problem that opened this thread. They seem loath to respond to 'complaints'. I adminned a good number of Lists and Boards and curse the name AOL.

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 11:39
AOL's equivalent of 'Spamguard' has caused a great many problems for folk sending to AOL customers - ISP blocking etc. A Genealogical Site I use (Message Boards and Mailing Lists) involving not just a few people but thousands, has had many many instances of the sort of problem that opened this thread. They seem loath to respond to 'complaints'. I adminned a good number of Lists and Boards and curse the name AOL.

From what I can gather about AOL is there are simply blocking what they consider to be spam mail and it's our problem to sort it out. They are also a huige company and if you want to send to their customers then you'll just have to sort it out yourself. If they lose one or two customers through it then it's no biggie to them. Most of the large companies are the same (assuming you can get somebody who knows what a blacklist or whitelist is!)

I use exactly the same techniques as AOL here (blacklists, whitelists, bayesian filtering, phishing lists, relay lists etc. etc. etc.) and I don't have the problems they do. That being said, I don't think I quite get the volumes they do ...

I have never recommended AOL services or products. They used to be a lot worse than they are now, however it's still a case of locking the customer in both in terms of contract and in terms of proprietary equipment. They also used to be very bad at letting you go - charging your credit card when they should't have etc. They are the same reason I don't use Netscape (or have it installed)! If you're thinking about switching to AOL, make sure you knwo what you're switching into.

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 11:48
From what I can gather about AOL is there are simply blocking what they consider to be spam mail and it's our problem to sort it out. They are also a huige company and if you want to send to their customers then you'll just have to sort it out yourself. If they lose one or two customers through it then it's no biggie to them. Most of the large companies are the same (assuming you can get somebody who knows what a blacklist or whitelist is!)

I use exactly the same techniques as AOL here (blacklists, whitelists, bayesian filtering, phishing lists, relay lists etc. etc. etc.) and I don't have the problems they do. That being said, I don't think I quite get the volumes they do ...

I have never recommended AOL services or products. They used to be a lot worse than they are now, however it's still a case of locking the customer in both in terms of contract and in terms of proprietary equipment. They also used to be very bad at letting you go - charging your credit card when they should't have etc. They are the same reason I don't use Netscape (or have it installed)! If you're thinking about switching to AOL, make sure you knwo what you're switching into.

I had exactly the same problem, and nor would I ever have gone near Netscape after a similarly 'hard time' with it. Getting away from AOL was like trying to get away from the Readers Digest!:lol:

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 11:54
I had exactly the same problem, and nor would I ever have gone near Netscape after a similarly 'hard time' with it. Getting away from AOL was like trying to get away from the Readers Digest!:lol:

At least with the Readers Digest though you get something useful AND you get the chance to win a million (or is a trillion now)? That's a bit unfair, AOL do give you internet access which is useful.

Kingetter
04-Oct-06, 12:03
Mustn't hijack this thread, but need to say -
"AOL do give you internet access which is useful" -
"A oneway ticket to ride"?:roll: