PDA

View Full Version : A9 traffic warning

badger
23-Aug-11, 13:33
Suggest you plan your journeys with care if you don't want to be delayed. We're going to have to get used to this up here [disgust].

http://www.northern-times.co.uk/News/Gordonbush-Windfarm-traffic-slideshow-22082011.htm

Even Chance
23-Aug-11, 13:57
They look like seriously big turbines. I cant wait to see them operating. What a sight!!
Thanks for the heads-up on the photos.

Corrie 3
23-Aug-11, 14:47
Somebody lining their own pocket and we all have to suffer because of it!!

I cant wait till someone puts a bomb under them!!!

C3...............:roll:[disgust]

poppett
23-Aug-11, 14:54
Thank you for the warning.

Enjoyed the newspaper as well.

mi16
23-Aug-11, 15:28
They look like seriously big turbines. I cant wait to see them operating. What a sight!!
Thanks for the heads-up on the photos.

What will be worse is when the feed in tarrif ends and these things are no longer maintained and left to blight our landscape forever, will be like something out of the war of the worlds

bekisman
23-Aug-11, 23:12
Recently had an email in from Hydro Electric to tell me: that my electricity will be going up by 11% "Unfortunately, they have become inevitable as a result of rises in the wholesale cost of energy, the cost of using the electricity and gas networks and the cost of the environmental and social schemes we are obliged to implement. " i.e.. Renewable Obligation Certificates (we have to pay more for the leccy produced by these things)
Yes, today in Golspie we were held up by the passage of three blades for just one of these turbines, bit of a nuisance, but never mind it will save the planet (yea right).. I pity the folk who live along the route with the sections of 35 turbines trundling along their roads.. and not getting a penny into their pockets, but instead (like you and I) forking out to shove even more cash into the rich landowners bank accounts.
I suppose that when one considers that for just a wee single turbine of 275Kwp the total life generation 15 or 20 yrs the land owner gets near a million quid (£2,787,840) Now, Gordonbush is having 35 turbines rated at 2MW!!, so 'spose that's 7 times the amount? now that's awful lot of money they are going to get, but as they say "The local electricity company have to pay the basic electricity price plus the feed in tariff payment to the landowner, and the cost is then passed on to their customers." Opps it appears I'm a customer.. so I'm shoving my hard earned money into these land owners pockets..
Normal power station sells electricity for about 5p kW/hr..Total payment to landowner 37.5p – 21.8p kW/hr - well there you are, and if any idiot really believes these rich landowners are doing it for our benefit, they are in cloud cuckoo land...

mi16
24-Aug-11, 07:50
Recently had an email in from Hydro Electric to tell me: that my electricity will be going up by 11% "Unfortunately, they have become inevitable as a result of rises in the wholesale cost of energy, the cost of using the electricity and gas networks and the cost of the environmental and social schemes we are obliged to implement. " i.e.. Renewable Obligation Certificates (we have to pay more for the leccy produced by these things)
Yes, today in Golspie we were held up by the passage of three blades for just one of these turbines, bit of a nuisance, but never mind it will save the planet (yea right).. I pity the folk who live along the route with the sections of 35 turbines trundling along their roads.. and not getting a penny into their pockets, but instead (like you and I) forking out to shove even more cash into the rich landowners bank accounts.
I suppose that when one considers that for just a wee single turbine of 275Kwp the total life generation 15 or 20 yrs the land owner gets near a million quid (£2,787,840) Now, Gordonbush is having 35 turbines rated at 2MW!!, so 'spose that's 7 times the amount? now that's awful lot of money they are going to get, but as they say "The local electricity company have to pay the basic electricity price plus the feed in tariff payment to the landowner, and the cost is then passed on to their customers." Opps it appears I'm a customer.. so I'm shoving my hard earned money into these land owners pockets..
Normal power station sells electricity for about 5p kW/hr..Total payment to landowner 37.5p – 21.8p kW/hr - well there you are, and if any idiot really believes these rich landowners are doing it for our benefit, they are in cloud cuckoo land...

And there you have it!!
No one is doing this for the love of the planet

Robinwood
24-Aug-11, 09:52
The driver of the vehicle should be totally appreciated !

mi16
24-Aug-11, 09:59
The driver of the vehicle should be totally appreciated !

why?..............

badger
24-Aug-11, 21:29
A number of local people staged a protest against this route being used but of course they were ignored as the alternative was too expensive - surprise ! What happens if this very heavy traffic damages buildings - do they get compensation? Doubt it somehow. Bad enough having to live with all the noise and disruption without that worry. Nothing must be allowed to get in the way of our esteemed leader's ambitions for 100% renewable energy.

mi16
24-Aug-11, 21:37
If a vehicle damages a building then the insurance will pay out I shouldve though.
If you are talking about the weight loading on the road causing a building to subside or crack or something then fear not there is only so much a tractor until can pull, its mor ethe size of the load that is the problem rather than the weight.

Duncansby
24-Aug-11, 22:24
Bad enough having to live with all the noise and disruption without that worry.

It's no more noisy than the lorry's that pass through every day and night and no where near as noisy Gala week!

Gronnuck
25-Aug-11, 00:59

.....and all this is done in what can only be described as environmental facism [disgust]

mi16
25-Aug-11, 07:42
It seems that the entire north of Scotland is being turned into a huge industrial estate.

emszxr
25-Aug-11, 22:43
i think they are great. have loved watching them all week.

rhoda
25-Aug-11, 23:44
More interesting photos in this weeks northern times.

Duncansby
26-Aug-11, 00:02
I might try and get home early tomorrow so I can see them coming through, tried today but thought it was 4.45 and was disappointed when I realised I was an hour late!

robglysen
26-Aug-11, 06:55
It seems that the entire north of Scotland is being turned into a huge industrial estate.

I dont see much industry in the north of scotland.

mi16
26-Aug-11, 07:03
I dont see much industry in the north of scotland.

what do you call a mass influx of wind turbines if it isnt industrial?

badger
26-Aug-11, 18:59
Industry and industrial - different things. Very little industry in terms of local employment but the result of all these turbines will soon make it look like an industrial estate. Believe me, you ain't seen nothing yet - they're in the pipeline but they are coming. Have a look at this and tell me Caithness doesn't look a wee bit overcrowded

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7D7C8DC6-3791-49D3-B0A4-448EA69221F9/0/highland_wind.pdf

and that doesn't include any of the single ones popping up all over the place. We'll have turbine parts on our roads for years.

orkneycadian
26-Aug-11, 19:48
I reckon if I totted up all the hours I have been held up on the A9, then if descending order it will be....

"Common or garden" artic lorries
Caravans
Camper vans
Folk that drive at 30 mph where its not safe to pass (but still safe to drive at 60 mph), yet speed up to 70 MPH on the straight bits!
Tractors
Agricultural Land Rovers (the ones with the chrome lamp on the roof....)
Tourists driving at 20 mph whilst gawping around them oblivious to others on the road
Road works
Push bikes
Sheep on the road
Fallen trees
Windmill loads must be at the bottom, since, as far as I can recall, I have never been held up by one! [lol]

robglysen
26-Aug-11, 23:25
what do you call a mass influx of wind turbines if it isnt industrial?

I would call it brief.

mi16
27-Aug-11, 10:46
Brief you say!!
These things will be standing for at least the next quarter century how can that be brief?

robglysen
27-Aug-11, 10:50
Brief you say!!
These things will be standing for at least the next quarter century how can that be brief?

The work created by it will be brief. Putting up the windmills will bring jobs, for a bit, then once they're up. thats it.

badger
27-Aug-11, 10:59
The work created by it will be brief. Putting up the windmills will bring jobs, for a bit, then once they're up. thats it.
Actually probably minus jobs in the long term - read somewhere (can't remember where) that for every job in wind 3.7 jobs are lost elsewhere, presumably in tourism.

Orkneycadian - well aren't you lucky not to live en route to windfarm construction. Maybe if you talked to some people who have in the past or do now you might be a bit more sympathetic.

robglysen
27-Aug-11, 11:05
I think the thinking behind windfarms is fine, but they are just not efficient enough, its like pulling a lorry trailor with a donkey. If we all had a few solar panels (I'm hoping they become cheaper and more efficient)....

http://www.geeksaresexy.net/2011/08/19/teenager-uses-fibonacci-sequence-to-improve-solar-panels/

Now thats what I call a 7th grade science project .

emszxr
27-Aug-11, 18:36
i live en-route to a windfarm and the delays have not bothered me at all. with every journey you have to expect there may be delays and to leave with time for such things.

rhoda
28-Aug-11, 00:19
I live on the A9 between Brora and Golspie and so far the convoys seem to have caused little trouble. The biggest problem on the A9 at the moment is the endless cyclists. Not a day passes but there are many many of them causing havoc on the route. Whilst cars and small vans can negotiate them fairly easily the HGV's must be finding them a nightmare. They are either travelling in groups of up to a dozen or at regular distances in single file and when an artic comes up behind them they mostly have to stop, then having managed to pass one have to slow down again to pass the next one and so on. Many stock lorries use this road and for the drivers to have to be constantly stopping and starting because of these bicycles does not do the cattle or sheep any favours. I am truly amazed that some sort of serious accident has not occurred, Thank goodness, but feel it is only a matter of time. I'm not against cyclists but I think it is time they realised that the A9 north of the Dornoch Bridge is just too narrow and dangerous for them in this day and age.

secrets in symmetry
28-Aug-11, 00:28
I reckon if I totted up all the hours I have been held up on the A9, then if descending order it will be....

"Common or garden" artic lorries
Caravans
Camper vans
Folk that drive at 30 mph where its not safe to pass (but still safe to drive at 60 mph), yet speed up to 70 MPH on the straight bits!
Tractors
Agricultural Land Rovers (the ones with the chrome lamp on the roof....)
Tourists driving at 20 mph whilst gawping around them oblivious to others on the road
Road works
Push bikes
Sheep on the road
Fallen trees

Windmill loads must be at the bottom, since, as far as I can recall, I have never been held up by one! [lol]
Lol! I think you've got that list just about spot on - although the idiot climate change deniers will still disagree, and they will still start threads based on believing whatever they want to believe, disregarding all evidence to the contrary.

robglysen
28-Aug-11, 07:57
A dedicated cycle route would help a great deal, it'd encourage more tourism and keep them safer and they could run it alongside the railway perhaps?

ywindythesecond
28-Aug-11, 08:43

In 2009/2010 It cost every man woman and child in the UK £18.33 to support ROCs (£1.1bn divided by 60 million people). 2010/2011 will be around £30 and it will continue to rise as more windfarms are built. Nobody knows how much feed in tariffs are costing us but if the owners of small wind turbines get 27p a unit and owners of PV panels get 43p a unit from their electricity suppliers which gets spread around all other consumers, then that must add a fair bit to our bills as well. Add the cost of transmission reinforcement and paying windfarms to stop producing electricty when it is too windy and demand is low, and we are already well out of pocket for a technology which can't deliver. I am astonished that so few people know this.

mi16
29-Aug-11, 09:01

Oh got ya, yes thats about correct, there wil be a few techs jobs available to service and repair these monstrosities.

emszxr
29-Aug-11, 20:10
monstrosities...and how many people will actually see this windfarm?

mi16
29-Aug-11, 20:23
which one of the multipe wind farms around the North of Scotland do you talk of?

emszxr
29-Aug-11, 20:42
the one this thread started about

Croftergirl
29-Aug-11, 21:25
hehehehe, this has made me laugh oot loud! Lovely to hear everyones veiws on greedy landowners (!)

BUT as someone whos aboot to put up a wee turbine for oor wee crofty i have to disagree wi bein called a greedy landowner. I think savvy and wise is more like it! lol.
We're all bein offered e chance to put up turbine to run oor own homes leccy from, and the fact we're gettin a wee bonus just makes it that much more appealin.

And Rhoda, im wi you on e cyclists, I was of at a tup sale last week wi the stock box on behind, its a nitemare tryin to get past the cyclists, they dont seem to think aboot e rest o e traffic on e road.

anyways just thought id add ma twapennies worth. hope i havnt stirred anyone up.

emszxr
29-Aug-11, 21:51
well done croftergirl. hope it is very good for you.

Corrie 3
29-Aug-11, 21:54
hehehehe, this has made me laugh oot loud! Lovely to hear everyones veiws on greedy landowners (!)

BUT as someone whos aboot to put up a wee turbine for oor wee crofty i have to disagree wi bein called a greedy landowner. I think savvy and wise is more like it! lol.
We're all bein offered e chance to put up turbine to run oor own homes leccy from, and the fact we're gettin a wee bonus just makes it that much more appealin.

And Rhoda, im wi you on e cyclists, I was of at a tup sale last week wi the stock box on behind, its a nitemare tryin to get past the cyclists, they dont seem to think aboot e rest o e traffic on e road.

anyways just thought id add ma twapennies worth. hope i havnt stirred anyone up.
You havent stirred me up but I am just wondering why, after your first 8 posts made in really good English your 9th post now has a strange Scottish flavour to it? Has Trix been giving you lessons?

C3...........:roll:;)

mi16
30-Aug-11, 13:35
I have no problem with small privately owned turbines, its the commercial developments that I object to, however if I had the land and opportunity to set myself and my family up for life then I would go for it without a shadow of dowbt, these farmers can make much more in a year from a few turbines than farming ever will.

However if you take a look at the link below, you will find it hard to disagree that Caithness and Sutherland are hugely overpopulated with wind turbines as opposed to the rest of the Highlands.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7D7C8DC6-3791-49D3-B0A4-448EA69221F9/0/highland_wind.pdf

As for the number of folk that will see it, without seeing the artistic impressions it would be impossible to say however if it can be seen from teh A9 then I would say substantial.
What about the SAC that is now being destroyed by contruction traffic and huge masses of concrete

badger
30-Aug-11, 15:53
well done croftergirl. hope it is very good for you.

Just remember you're paying for it ! Where do you think the money to pay turbine owners comes from? It's out of your pocket. It wouldn't be so bad if they were just paid for what they sell to the Grid but under this stupid system they're also paid for what they use themselves. It's the opposite of Robin Hood - taking from the those who can't afford them, don't have land or whatever and giving to those who can. The richer you are, the more money you make and the more the rest of us suffer.

emszxr
30-Aug-11, 16:14
As for the number of folk that will see it, without seeing the artistic impressions it would be impossible to say however if it can be seen from teh A9 then I would say substantial.

you cant see this one from the a9, so very very few will ever see it.

mi16
30-Aug-11, 17:34
I dont know the area but are they tucked behind a big hill?
I wouldve thought they would be on top of a hill and hence visible for quite a distance.

Croftergirl
31-Aug-11, 12:20
Corrie3, e reason ma post isna in proper english is cos i aing english! im caithness born n bred n proud o it.

Oh and also on stupid amounts o painkillers after some idiot ran in to ma car yesterday n left me wi rather painful whiplash :0(
fo please forgive ma gramatical errors if you will.

mi16
31-Aug-11, 12:25
Corrie3, e reason ma post isna in proper english is cos i aing english! im caithness born n bred n proud o it.

Oh and also on stupid amounts o painkillers after some idiot ran in to ma car yesterday n left me wi rather painful whiplash :0(
fo please forgive ma gramatical errors if you will.

When I went to school (in Caithness), we took a class called English, it taught us how to read and write properly.
Not like a retarded hillbilly, do you write all your correspondance in such a fashion?

Croftergirl
31-Aug-11, 12:53
Hmmm im now a retarded hillbilly am i? well thanks for that. Its nice to see that there are still some people oot there, who resort to name callin.
I happen to be proud o ma dialect and keen to keep it alive. I also went to school in caithness, got ma higher english (A if you must no)
and i would also like to correct your english, your statement should have said read and write CORRECTLY not properly.

It depends who i am writin to whether i use retarded hillbilly fashion or not, with you Id rather not converse at all. Bye bye

mi16
31-Aug-11, 13:02
Hmmm im now a retarded hillbilly am i? well thanks for that. Its nice to see that there are still some people oot there, who resort to name callin.
I happen to be proud o ma dialect and keen to keep it alive. I also went to school in caithness, got ma higher english (A if you must no)
and i would also like to correct your english, your statement should have said read and write CORRECTLY not properly.

It depends who i am writin to whether i use retarded hillbilly fashion or not, with you Id rather not converse at all. Bye bye

I did not state that you were a retarded hillbilly, I merely said that you write like a retarded hillbilly.
It is clear that you know how to write properly but for whatever reason chose not to, anyway we are digressing from the subject of the thread which is my fault. Apologies for any offence. I will let you get on with duelling banjo's.

Bye

Corrie 3
31-Aug-11, 13:10

I think you have got me wrong CG, the question I asked was "Why were your first 7 posts on the Org in (near) perfect English and then all of a sudden your posts have a Trix like dialect". Like mi16 I went to school in Caithness and do all of my correspondence in the manner I was taught, I cant see the advantage of putting the accent on as you have started doing!

C3...................:roll:;)

Croftergirl
31-Aug-11, 14:15
i havna started puttin an accent on, i merely didna use it for ma 1st few posts. as i said it depends who im talkin to.
and mi16, i prefer e fiddle to e banjo, less jangly on e owld nerves lol

StacNKel
31-Aug-11, 14:55
I'm pretty sure that having a pop at the way someone has wrote has anything to do with the thread eh? Going a little off subject and could be taken as offensive. I can see the point in these turbines and supplying your own electricity. It's expensive as it is and prices keep going up!

badger
01-Sep-11, 12:04
I'm pretty sure that having a pop at the way someone has wrote has anything to do with the thread eh? Going a little off subject and could be taken as offensive. I can see the point in these turbines and supplying your own electricity. It's expensive as it is and prices keep going up!
See my earlier post on cost - prices keep going up because you're paying the people who own turbines.

mi16
01-Sep-11, 13:09
See my earlier post on cost - prices keep going up because you're paying the people who own turbines.
100% correct. electricity derived from wind turbines is expensive fact!!