PDA

View Full Version : Using a rotary drier (whirly gig!)

susan.leith
20-Aug-11, 20:15
Having used a standard washing line for the past 30 years, I have now become the proud owner of a rotary drier, otherwise known as a whirly gig, and not a wheelie as I tried calling it earlier - that's another domestic appliance apparently. Anyway, is there a preferred way of hanging items on the whirly? Evenly spread across the four arms, bigger items at front or back or just as it comes out of the laundry basket? Is there a way to catch the wind or does it just do its own thing? Your hints and tips would be welcomed, and smart a*** comments expected :)

annemarie482
20-Aug-11, 20:28
i hate mine!
cant wait to get poles in instead. awful for sheets, duvet covers etc.
bigger stuff at the front because its higher (for jeans etc) and wider (for sheets etc)
note they do seem to attract alot of siders to your washing too!

susan.leith
20-Aug-11, 21:28
Hmmmm, I didn't think it would be much use for sheets and duvets. Hubby assures me our redesigned garden will look much nicer minus poles - they've already gone and been recycled as fence posts! Still have hooks on walls so could set up a line if I need to. Thanks for your thoughts :)

annemarie482
20-Aug-11, 21:35
sorry didnt want it to sound bad lol
but they are basically space savers, the reason we got ours, not to ruin the lawn but i miss my last houses poles!
saying that the stuff dries the same, just alot more akward to work with.

Kodiak
21-Aug-11, 12:33
Go buy a Tumble Dryer, far better. :D

pat
21-Aug-11, 14:44
If there is a wind (of which there is plenty over here on Lewis) I just put stuff on three sides of my whilygig and leave the fourth empty - its just like a windmill the speed it turns, shame I do not have something to make electricity from all the power when the drying is spinning around so quickly.
I have an extra strong whirly, the upright of galvanised steel is cemented 18" into ground then the whirly bit is fixed on top (this part can be lifted off by two folk) - beware of beheading when in use!
Does not matter how you hang the stuff it will all dry.

secrets in symmetry
21-Aug-11, 14:57
Having used a standard washing line for the past 30 years, I have now become the proud owner of a rotary drier, otherwise known as a whirly gig, and not a wheelie as I tried calling it earlier - that's another domestic appliance apparently. Anyway, is there a preferred way of hanging items on the whirly? Evenly spread across the four arms, bigger items at front or back or just as it comes out of the laundry basket? Is there a way to catch the wind or does it just do its own thing? Your hints and tips would be welcomed, and smart a*** comments expected :)
The washing should be evenly spread across the four arms if you want to "balance" it like you'd balance a car wheel.

secrets in symmetry
21-Aug-11, 15:25
If there is a wind (of which there is plenty over here on Lewis) I just put stuff on three sides of my whilygig and leave the fourth empty - its just like a windmill the speed it turns, shame I do not have something to make electricity from all the power when the drying is spinning around so quickly.
I have an extra strong whirly, the upright of galvanised steel is cemented 18" into ground then the whirly bit is fixed on top (this part can be lifted off by two folk) - beware of beheading when in use!
I wondered if loading the whirligig asymmetrically would make it spin faster, thanks for the confirmation pat!

Doing this will put a lot more stress on the whirligig itself, and on the "foundations", so you will indeed need an extra strong whirly and extra strong foundations!

Beat Bug
21-Aug-11, 17:48
Had a whirly gig once, and couldn't wait to get rid of it!

billmoseley
21-Aug-11, 19:12
the best way to use one of these things is let the expert use it. the wife. find they are easy to use then lololol

susan.leith
21-Aug-11, 19:17
Thanks for all your replies! I have managed to get several loads of washing hung out and dried today, without being beheaded. Did have a bit of a wrestling match with a king size duvet, and was looking for the brake when it started spinning when I was still trying to hang things on the line, but all in all a successful first attempt.

nicnak
22-Aug-11, 14:34
Have to admit I couldn't wait to get rid of ours, I hated the blinking thing, washing took ages to dry, was a nightmare to load and unload, so all I can say is good luck, you will need it ! lol

Blarney
23-Aug-11, 22:25
Poles every time for me!