PDA

View Full Version : plz plz help,nothing to technical but baffled me!

saxovtr
03-Oct-06, 11:40
when i press crtl when i go to copy then paste soon as i hit ctrl the my computer folder opens up and its getting rather annoying! why is it doing this and how can i stop it as im baffled!!

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 12:24
when i press crtl when i go to copy then paste soon as i hit ctrl the my computer folder opens up and its getting rather annoying! why is it doing this and how can i stop it as im baffled!!

Hi saxovtr,

Are you sure it's ONLY when you press the Ctrl key, it's not Ctrl+another_key ? Are you sure you don't have a key stuck down on your keyboard (happens all the time and Shift is usually the culprit).

Windows Explorer could be mapped to the key you are pressing, however it's usually not just Ctrl+another_key but requires Ctrl+Alt+another_key (or shift instead of Alt).

saxovtr
03-Oct-06, 16:08
sorry its when i press ctrl and c for copying and it opens a tab with my computer!! i have checked the buttons none are sticking otherwise i duno how to sort it:( do you have any idea how i could sort it,any advice wud be appreciated thanx.

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 16:18
sorry its when i press ctrl and c for copying and it opens a tab with my computer!! i have checked the buttons none are sticking otherwise i duno how to sort it:( do you have any idea how i could sort it,any advice wud be appreciated thanx.

Hi saxovtr,

Just to confirm, when you press Ctrl-C is opens up the My Computer windows (ie. just like if you clicked My Computer from the Start menu)?

What OS are you using?

This is strange behaviour. Does it happen with every application (ie. when you're in Word, Notepad, Windows Explorer)?

If you're absolutely sure that none of the keys are stuck then I'm thinking there must be an application that is installed that's grabbing the keyboard shortcut and opening My Computer. When did it start and did you install something just before it? Have you tried another keyboard?

When strange things happen like this is sometimes a good idea to run a full virus scan (it's possible somebody/something is messing with you).

saxovtr
03-Oct-06, 16:34
i assume you mean o/s as in operating system?:windows xp!!

while i was reading what you wrote i pressed ctrl on its own and the my computer folder popped up in front of the caithness.org page but all i hav to do is close it,its getting rather annoying now!my pc has stayed the same for the last 7months nothing being de installed or installed so i do not understand whats going on:~(

also could you help with my topic in the general section about youtube.com?
you seem like a very knowledgeable person when it comes to computers! unfortunately my skills on pc's are limited(ive picked up stuff along the way)watching people etc,cheers for the advice so far ;)

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 16:40
i assume you mean o/s as in operating system?:windows xp!!

while i was reading what you wrote i pressed ctrl on its own and the my computer folder popped up in front of the caithness.org page but all i hav to do is close it,its getting rather annoying now!my pc has stayed the same for the last 7months nothing being de installed or installed so i do not understand whats going on

Sorry, OS is operating system ...

I've got to admit I'm a little stumped. Try the following:

Go into Start->Control Panel->Hardware (tab) and check what is in the list. Let me know what it says and we can take it from there.

Did you try a virus scan? If it's been 7 months I doubt it's a virus, but you never know.

also could you help with my topic in the general section about youtube.com?
you seem like a very knowledgeable person when it comes to computers! unfortunately my skills on pc's are limited(ive picked up stuff along the way)watching people etc,cheers for the advice so far ;)

Thanks for the compliment and I'm glad I could help! :)

Just looked at the General section and I see there is a reply there that should do the job ... MGB1979 beat me to it!

saxovtr
03-Oct-06, 17:02
sorry im being stupid now but the only hrdware tab i have is to add ahrdware and when i click it some wizard thing pops up and asks me to add hardware,little bit confused lol

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 17:39
sorry im being stupid now but the only hrdware tab i have is to add ahrdware and when i click it some wizard thing pops up and asks me to add hardware,little bit confused lol

Sorry saxovtr, it's me who's being stupid. I missed something out.

If you go to Start->Control Panel->Keyboard->Hardware (tab) ...

saxovtr
03-Oct-06, 21:51
hehe its ok,i went into there it said the device is working properly
:manufacturer-standard keyboards
device status:this device is working properly

properties tab is the same! but it says:standard 101/102 key or microsoft natural p/s2 keyboard

does that help any?cheers for the help

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 23:25
hehe its ok,i went into there it said the device is working properly
:manufacturer-standard keyboards
device status:this device is working properly

properties tab is the same! but it says:standard 101/102 key or microsoft natural p/s2 keyboard

does that help any?cheers for the help

Yes and no :)

Go back into that tab, click Properties and then the Driver tab. Click the uninstall button and reboot. The driver may be corrupt so removing it and rebooting with allow Windows to detect it at startup again.

Try that and let me know if it has any effect.

saxovtr
04-Oct-06, 14:38
just did that now,still doing the same:(

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 15:47
just did that now,still doing the same:(

Got to Start->Control Panel->Regional and Language Options. Make sure everything is set for the UK (more than likely will be or you'd notice other things going incredibly wrong).

You never said if you ran a complete virus scan? Have you tried switching the keyboard for another - it could just be faulty ...

saxovtr
04-Oct-06, 16:42
yeh ive done a virus scan keyboard was new not that long ago works perfect to be honest,i will try that last suggestion,thanx again:)

saxovtr
04-Oct-06, 16:48
ok just did that,everything is set to english,and i have no viruses:confused

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 17:14
ok just did that,everything is set to english,and i have no viruses:confused

Hi saxovtr,

Try restarting into Safe Mode and see if it happens there. If it does then try you need to make sure your keyboard is not faulty. You need to swap the keyboard with another. I know it's new and I doubt it's faulty but swapping it for another will tell us once and for all if it's the keyboard or the computer. Either try your keyboard on another computer (and if it works okay we know it's your computer) or try another keyboard on yours (and if it causes the same problem then we know it's the computer).

If it doesn't happen in Safe Mode then something is grabbing the keystroke and you just need to find out what. Try Safe Mode though and let me know the outcome.

saxovtr
04-Oct-06, 23:53
hello,i tried this on another computer worked fine! tried this keyboard with the computer on safe mode and it behaved the same! does that help any?thanx for the info so far;)

blueivy
05-Oct-06, 00:38
hello,i tried this on another computer worked fine! tried this keyboard with the computer on safe mode and it behaved the same! does that help any?thanx for the info so far;)

When you say behaved the same, I take it you mean Ctrl-C still brought up My Computer?

Can you try this:

Try the other computers keyboard on yours?
Bring up task manager and either take screenshts of what is running and post them here (or pm them to me) or write down a list exactly of the names.
Again either take screenshots or write list of all of the installed programs from Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.Some program is grabbing the keyboard and we need to find out which one it is. What is worrying me though is that it is doing this in Safe Mode (if I read you correctly).

saxovtr
06-Oct-06, 11:34
rite,i have tried everbody suggestions,its still doing this when i press ctrl,im just going to have to live with it!!!

blueivy
06-Oct-06, 12:30
rite,i have tried everbody suggestions,its still doing this when i press ctrl,im just going to have to live with it!!!

I had to admit defeat saxovtr, I see things like this as more of a challenge than anything.

I know it's a pain for you to go through all of the things I suggested. The thing you have to know is that something is grabbing the keyboard input and opening My Computer. It could be an application that allows you to redefine keys (there are many of them around that allow you to assign keyboard shortcuts to programs so if you press say Ctrl-O it open Outlook, maybe Ctrl-I opens Internet Explorer etc).

The way it works is this:

-------------- Your keyboard - you press Ctrl-C
|
| Ctrl-C goes down the wire into the PC
|
------- an application grabs the Ctrl-C and starts My Computer
|
| Nothing left to send down
|
--- Windows kernel sits here and get's nothing so won't 'Copy' as it would normally do with Ctrl-C.

This is why I wanted a list of what was running (to see what programs there were and therefore find out what was causing the problem) and to see what was installed (for the same reason).

If you're happy to live with then that's fine. I know sometimes it's less hassle listening to the rattle (in your car) then trying to find out what it was and fix it! Sorry I couldn't help solve it.