PDA

View Full Version : Icons Sprouting Up

brokencross
03-Oct-06, 08:02
Not so much a technical question, but more a matter of interest!

Up until recently when using "Favourites" on my I.E. browser, the drop down menu just showed the Explorer "E" icon and the site name, but just recently on some sites, proper logo icons are in their place eg BBC, Google. Just wondering why this is happening.

Bobinovich
03-Oct-06, 11:20
It is possible for site designers to include a favourites icon for people who bookmark their sites - Caithness.org has done it for ages (you get the green Caithness map). Some sites are only just getting round to it.

changilass
03-Oct-06, 11:23
not on mine you don't Bob, I have the E for CWS, you will have to take a look at it for me:lol:

Bobinovich
03-Oct-06, 12:27
Hi Changi

If you remove your existing favourite to the Org and then add it again you'll probably find that it adds the green map icon next to the link. If not then maybe there is a setting which will need looked at.

brokencross
03-Oct-06, 12:36
Bobinovich, thanks for that, I didn't have the green Caithness map, but did as you said removed and reinstated the Org as a favourite and sure enough hey presto there it is Thanks again for the info.

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 12:48
Not so much a technical question, but more a matter of interest!

Up until recently when using "Favourites" on my I.E. browser, the drop down menu just showed the Explorer "E" icon and the site name, but just recently on some sites, proper logo icons are in their place eg BBC, Google. Just wondering why this is happening.

Some sites have a favicon.ico in the root of their site (see mine (http://www.smallbusiness-it.com)). When you add this to your favourites it also adds the icon to your favourites. If the site doesn't have this then the default IE icon is used.

The BBC and Google have always had one so if this is happening to their sites then it could be a cache problem (it can't find the favicon.ico in your cache and so it gives up). It's nothing to worry about.

(http://www.smallbusiness-it.com)