PDA

View Full Version : Fishing advice for a novice please :)

MissRosie
18-Aug-11, 20:57
Hello

I have recently taken up fishing and got a permit for Loch Calder. Stood in the rain all day with all my shiney things on my hooks flicking and reeling but no joy.

I heard that Loch Calder is a good place for trout.

Does anyone have any advice they could offer me? Not sure if I am doing anything wrong or if I am standing on the wrong bit of the Loch or if I am doing anything wrong.

Thanks

fishwithfinn
12-Sep-11, 21:46
have you tried sea fishing, at least the fish are much bigger most fish you catch from the beaches here are a good size for the pot
fishwithfinn. weekends were created for fishing !

NickInTheNorth
13-Sep-11, 09:16
You need to walk quietly on the banks, and try and use any available cover so the fish don't see you coming.

Cast along the margins rather than just casting out, brown trout are often found very close in.

This time of year try fishing a daddy long legs in the evening - can be very productive!

slinky
13-Sep-11, 12:01
try harpsdale its 10 pound i think for 2 hours u get 2 keep first fish then move on to 2nd pool its man made stocked with rainbow trout and brown theres even a tagged fish so if u get the tagged 1 u gwet 100 pound they have a website harpsdalefishery i think better starting there than calder

george1234
16-Sep-11, 01:37
try harpsdale its 10 pound i think for 2 hours u get 2 keep first fish then move on to 2nd pool its man made stocked with rainbow trout and brown theres even a tagged fish so if u get the tagged 1 u gwet 100 pound they have a website harpsdalefishery i think better starting there than calder

thats a good idea on the tagged fish!! :) makes it more fun!!!

murr
16-Sep-11, 19:25
hi the season is nearly over now but could help unext year if u like what type of fishing are u wanting to do

orkneycadian
18-Sep-11, 14:06
I heard that Loch Calder is a good place for trout.

Nah, Tesco is your place for that nowadays!

slinky
20-Sep-11, 12:47
hi the season is nearly over now but could help unext year if u like what type of fishing are u wanting to do fish harpsdale all year round