PDA

View Full Version : Flickering screen

dirdyweeker
02-Oct-06, 23:19
Is my monitor about to die on me? It is constantly flickering from bright to dull. Looks ready to die at any moment. Any advice most welcome or should I be thinking of sending it to the 'recycle graveyard':confused

Ann
02-Oct-06, 23:47
Mine did that for years but latterly it was nearly always dull. Good excuse to buy a new slimline model!

blueivy
03-Oct-06, 00:04
Is my monitor about to die on me? It is constantly flickering from bright to dull. Looks ready to die at any moment. Any advice most welcome or should I be thinking of sending it to the 'recycle graveyard':confused

Hi dirdyweeker,

Have you checked the cable at the back of the computer to make sure it's plugged in. Also I would watch the monitor and wiggle the cable near the computer as I had one where the wires in the cable snapped. If the desk moved the wrong way the monitor would dull and change colour.

If it's not that and it's a CRT then the tube could be going. As Ann said it could go next year but it could also go tomorrow. It's just a waiting game. I'd keep using it until it dies.

If it's causing you too many problems give me a shout as I have a 19" TFT on special offer for £147.00 + VAT (which includes delivery and installation). There are only a few left so be quick.

dirdyweeker
03-Oct-06, 23:20
Thanks 'blueivy' and those who pm'd me.

With a few wiggles of my cable my problem just might have resolved. It certainly seems to have..........fingers crossed. My screen is pretty steady tonight. I would not have thought on such a simple idea. Knew the 'orgers' wouldn't let me down with my problem. Thanks.

Ann........guess my money will stay in my pocket for a while longer. Pity too 'cause these slim line models did look good, mine is an old fashioned 18" model that covers nearly all my desk top. Makes me think I shouldn't have wiggled!:lol:

blueivy
04-Oct-06, 10:44

With a few wiggles of my cable my problem just might have resolved. It certainly seems to have..........fingers crossed. My screen is pretty steady tonight. I would not have thought on such a simple idea. Knew the 'orgers' wouldn't let me down with my problem. Thanks.

Ann........guess my money will stay in my pocket for a while longer. Pity too 'cause these slim line models did look good, mine is an old fashioned 18" model that covers nearly all my desk top. Makes me think I shouldn't have wiggled!:lol:

Glad you got it sorted - I thought this sounded like the broken wires problem.

I have a 19" monitor with exactly the problem - it's also one of the old CRT's that does take up the whole desk. Unless you sit at the other end of the desk it feels like you are part of the screen you're sitting so close!

Ann
04-Oct-06, 14:20

Keep wiggling; the wires will eventually break! ;)

dirdyweeker
05-Oct-06, 23:23
Ha ha. Let's hope when they DO break I can afford a new monitor! Knowing my luck it will happen at a crucial time, like Christmas, when I would definately be broke!

blueivy
06-Oct-06, 00:53
Ha ha. Let's hope when they DO break I can afford a new monitor! Knowing my luck it will happen at a crucial time, like Christmas, when I would definately be broke!

After the very same thing happened to Sod, a law was created in his honour ...:)

blueivy
25-Oct-06, 12:06

If you're still looking for your monitor to pack up to you can buy another, Lidl are offering a 19" Targa TFT for £149.00. Can't tell you how good or bad it is but it's available next week.

Tony
26-Oct-06, 23:19
Just treat yourself to a new one for Christmas as loose connections may result in a p.c problem also.
Have a look at this link and notice that many have DVI for less than Lidl with 3 year warranty. Additional DVI input is a bonus that provides a much clearer image providing the video card has the required output.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/27/cat/Monitors

blueivy
26-Oct-06, 23:34
Just treat yourself to a new one for Christmas as loose connections may result in a p.c problem also.
Have a look at this link and notice that many have DVI for less than Lidl with 3 year warranty. Additional DVI input is a bonus that provides a much clearer image providing the video card has the required output.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/store/27/cat/Monitors

Most reasonable modern video cards have a DVI output on them however many lower end cards don't. You'll also find that most 'on-board' video cards don't have a DVI output.

If you're not sure your card has a DVI output, look for a port that is about twice the width of a standard video output and is white (as opposed to the blue colour of a standard video port).

DVI (http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/tftbuyers/3) is good for watching DVD's or other movies on your PC and playing games (anything that you need good, clear and sharp quality on). I'd say it's a bit of overkill for the Windows desktop, writing email and surfing the web.

The difference in price is usually negligible if any, so if the option is there then I'd got for it as it always give you the DVI option in future.

A good guide to buying TFT's is here (http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/tftbuyers).