PDA

View Full Version : Tourists! tut

billmoseley
17-Aug-11, 19:15
Being a bus driver i have seen most things in my travels but today took the biscuit. whilst traveling over tongue causeway heading back towards tongue the traffic seemed to be held up after coming thought the traffic lights. i got closer only to see a couple in their 60s had set up a tripod and camera in the road to take a picture of the Kyle. when i got up to them i asked in my best polite manner if they realized it was a main road. they replied well the roads not that busy and just carried on. i then did tell then in not such a polite manner to move the camera. i'm sure tourist leave their brains at home sometimes

orkneycadian
17-Aug-11, 19:18
Could be worse, you could be trying to get around Orkney when theres a cruise liner in - Buses stopped all over the place so tourists can go take pictures and the likes.... Trying to get across Kirkwall last week when the Crown Princess was in was near impossible - Place was littered with buses parked in places they shouldn't be! :)

Commore
17-Aug-11, 19:26
Could be worse, you could be trying to get around Orkney when theres a cruise liner in - Buses stopped all over the place so tourists can go take pictures and the likes.... Trying to get across Kirkwall last week when the Crown Princess was in was near impossible - Place was littered with buses parked in places they shouldn't be! :)

:) think of all those pennies being spent on your island adding to its economy and touristy viability.

Mrs Bucket
17-Aug-11, 19:45
I believe that cruise liner tourists spend very little as everything is pre paid

Corrie 3
17-Aug-11, 19:52
I believe that cruise liner tourists spend very little as everything is pre paid
Yes, its the same with Motorhome tourists and grouse shooters, non of them spend much when up here. Even the Motorhome owners are too tight to stay at campsites and prefer to stay overnight in lay byes. Roll on winter !!!!

C3......:roll:

Commore
17-Aug-11, 20:11

I do believe you are correct!

joxville
17-Aug-11, 20:50
What type of biscuit was it?

hellsangel76
17-Aug-11, 21:55
I went over to France last year and everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road! They nearly caused an accident loads of times.Maniacs!

Walter Ego
17-Aug-11, 22:31
Try dealing with the pillocks on the Treasure Hunt after the Wick gala.

It would appear that playing some silly game makes you above the most simple of traffic laws......

ducati
18-Aug-11, 08:22
I think you are all being a bit harsh! Tourists are provided every year for our amusment, just enjoy!:D

I say this after being mowed off the road by a German camper on the Dunnett Head road yesterday.

Leanne
18-Aug-11, 08:31
I went over to France last year and everyone was driving on the wrong side of the road! They nearly caused an accident loads of times.Maniacs!

Given what has happened recently it would probably be kind to delete that post...

Even Chance
18-Aug-11, 09:02
Try dealing with the pillocks on the Treasure Hunt after the Wick gala.

It would appear that playing some silly game makes you above the most simple of traffic laws......

So I wisna e only one a wee bit Pxxxxd off with them then!?

bekisman
18-Aug-11, 09:14
Given what has happened recently it would probably be kind to delete that post...
Eh.. you being serious? Today 300 will die through smoking related illnesses, so better not mention fags.

Corrie 3
18-Aug-11, 09:20
eh.. You being serious? Today 300 will die through smoking related illnesses, so better not mention fags.

fags !!!

C3

bekisman
18-Aug-11, 10:09
fags !!!

C3 Oi! behave..

mi16
18-Aug-11, 10:18
No place for homophobia on here, this thread is about tourists

mi16
18-Aug-11, 10:19
:) think of all those pennies being spent on your island adding to its economy and touristy viability.

Think of all the pounds not made because business men couldnt make a meeting on time or folk vouldnt get to the shops for bloody busses clogging the streets with tight wad all inclusive tourists, the bus companies would have made a wedge though

Hoida
18-Aug-11, 10:43
Being a bus driver i have seen most things in my travels but today took the biscuit. whilst traveling over tongue causeway heading back towards tongue the traffic seemed to be held up after coming thought the traffic lights. i got closer only to see a couple in their 60s had set up a tripod and camera in the road to take a picture of the Kyle. when i got up to them i asked in my best polite manner if they realized it was a main road. they replied well the roads not that busy and just carried on. i then did tell then in not such a polite manner to move the camera. i'm sure tourist leave their brains at home sometimes
Its the Highland cattle on Strathy Brae that seem to attract the tourists We have been held up on several occasions by tourists taking picturs and just parking their cars wherever-Roll on October!!

mi16
18-Aug-11, 12:11
Its the Highland cattle on Strathy Brae that seem to attract the tourists We have been held up on several occasions by tourists taking picturs and just parking their cars wherever-Roll on October!!

I dont think thee are any parking restrictions on that stretch of road are there?

dollycat
18-Aug-11, 12:38
I was on the treasure hunt and didnt drive like a pillock!

Walter Ego
18-Aug-11, 14:40
So I wisna e only one a wee bit Pxxxxd off with them then!?

Bunch of pielocks the lot of them. Stopping dead on blind bends with no warning, wandering up the roads in little convoys at about 10mph, blocking junctions. It's the same everytime i'm up here for at Gala time. Ignorant arses.

Some poor sod on his bike narrowly missed being taken out by one group of idiots after they decided to do a u-turn without warning at the entrance to Ackergill Tower.

Walter Ego
18-Aug-11, 14:41

Well done for being considerate Dollycat. Unfortunately you are in a very small minority.

linnie612
18-Aug-11, 14:52
What type of biscuit was it?

Hope it was something chocolatey - perhaps some millionaire shortbread. My mum used to make some lovely ms, although she didn't call it that

Chalkie
18-Aug-11, 15:40

And if you extend the Caithness hand of welcome and hospitality you've all displayed here,there's less than nae chance that any of them will ever come back here on their own.
I've never been to the continent, are they as unwelcoming and intolerant of tourists and British drivers as you all seem to be of them?
With attitudes like these, I pity the poor orgers trying to make a living from the tourist industry up here. Surely the price of petrol, the weather and the midgies are enough to contend with.

suth13
18-Aug-11, 15:41
If i had a motor home im sure i wouldnt be paying £20.00 a night.

Leanne
18-Aug-11, 18:10
Eh.. you being serious? Today 300 will die through smoking related illnesses, so better not mention fags.

Yes actually I am. Today there is a family grieving locally due to circumstances that were joked about. It would show some compassion for the poster to delete the post.

golach
18-Aug-11, 19:16
Yes actually I am. Today there is a family grieving locally due to circumstances that were joked about. It would show some compassion for the poster to delete the post.

You are the only one, that keeps bringing the subject up, does that not tell you some thing?

pat
18-Aug-11, 19:35
When guests arrive I usually give them a cup of tea/coffee and have a wee blether - and advise they of things to do/not to here on the island.

Please - take your rubbish home, pull into a passing place to allow vehicles to pass as it is a working island with long distances, ferries, aircraft to catch etc, most of the roads are single track
If there is a funeral procession wait until the folk have done what they have to do, do not push your way through.
Ensure you have enough fuel before you start your journey.
No barbeques on the machair - beach is ok but take your rubbish home.
Take plenty of water and midge repellent
If you go off road in your vehicle ensure you are capable of getting it back 'on road'.
Enjoy the fresh air, the moors, the beaches and the peace and quiet.

AliciaMackinnon
18-Aug-11, 22:11
try living on skye you know it is tourist season when you hear sirens all day long

bekisman
18-Aug-11, 23:39
Yes actually I am. Today there is a family grieving locally due to circumstances that were joked about. It would show some compassion for the poster to delete the post.So someone local "went over to France last year and nearly cased an accident"?

oldmarine
18-Aug-11, 23:45
This has to be a problem with the locals who live there. Sometimes tourists think only of themselves.

rogermellie
19-Aug-11, 00:03
This has to be a problem with the locals who live there. Sometimes tourists think only of themselves.

forget the tourists, a lot of locals in Wick think nothing of stopping immediately outside the shop/bank they're visiting regardless of anyone else
traffic backs up across the bridge and roundabout leaving drivers to slalom around them. lazy gets

tourists might slow down the country roads, but wickers bring the town to a stand still !!

mi16
19-Aug-11, 08:26

To be fair you dont see many cruise liner passengers driving 36 seater buses!!
Surely the driver is at fault not the tourist.

mi16
19-Aug-11, 08:27
forget the tourists, a lot of locals in Wick think nothing of stopping immediately outside the shop/bank they're visiting regardless of anyone else
traffic backs up across the bridge and roundabout leaving drivers to slalom around them. lazy gets

tourists might slow down the country roads, but wickers bring the town to a stand still !!

Cant be too much of a problem in Wick these days, most of the shops are boarded up!!

bekisman
19-Aug-11, 09:28
Cant be too much of a problem in Wick these days, most of the shops are boarded up!!
I think the congestion is caused by the number of cars going through Wick to get to Tesco, the cars stopped on Bridge Street are uusually getting their cash out there to spend in Tesco, 'cos the two at Two up there are usually SO busy..

silverlady
19-Aug-11, 11:23
You are the only one, that keeps bringing the subject up, does that not tell you some thing?

She's not the only one now. Leanne, they must all have been asleep this week :confused

Cattach
19-Aug-11, 20:53

Are you sure because you usually do.

John Little
19-Aug-11, 21:02
Some poor sod on his bike narrowly missed being taken out by one group of idiots after they decided to do a u-turn without warning at the entrance to Ackergill Tower.

Gulp! :eek:

I shall be doing some cycling round Caithness next month.

Maybe we'd better leave the bikes at home. :eek:

ducati
19-Aug-11, 22:33
Gulp! :eek:

I shall be doing some cycling round Caithness next month.

Maybe we'd better leave the bikes at home. :eek:

You will be fine John, just ride nine abreast and wobble about a lot going up hill.

John Little
19-Aug-11, 22:40
That's the local fashion is it?

BTW - is that Broch centre place worth a visit?

rogermellie
20-Aug-11, 01:26
well worth a visit, although very modern, kids found it a bit boring, very knowledgeable staff though and fantastic toilets.

to get all the history and then go across the road to the broch is great, there's a nice short walk to the harbour as well.

loos and views, great stuff :D