PDA

View Full Version : Your Life In Their Hands - Sept 2nd/3rd 7-9pm

Happy Guy
17-Aug-11, 17:23
Your Life in Their Hands
Caithness Horizons Sept 2nd- Wick Assembly Rooms Sept 3rd
7-9pm all welcome. Entry Free

Most of us will have a blood test at some time in our lives and it is even more likely that we will need a prescription for drugs at some stage. But have you ever thought about what happens AFTER that? What happens to that blood sample after it is taken at the hospital or your doctors’ surgery? What happens to that prescription? Where does it go? Who does what with it? Why? How? What do the results mean?

How do the healthcare professionals make sure the results or the doses or the tablets are right? These things are important to us and our wellbeing, but they take place behind closed doors, in areas to which we have no access, and for very good reasons! However, some of these mysteries will be unveiled at Caithness Horizons in Thurso on September 2 and at The Assembly Rooms in Wick on September 3.

Those ‘closed doors’ will be opened and you will be invited in by the healthcare professionals who work with your blood samples and your prescriptions. Neil Aikenhead, the Laboratory Manager at Caithness General Hospital, will take you on a virtual tour of his laboratory, using specially prepared video clips and slides to explain everything that happens from the moment samples arrive at the laboratory. This will include what sort of tests are done, how they are carried out and the significance of these tests. He will explain about quality control procedures and the qualifications of the staff. As he takes you around his laboratory, he will give you an overview of such exotic sounding subjects as Haematology, Immunology, Clinical Biochemistry and Blood Transfusion in a way that makes them understandable and interesting.

And Community Pharmacists will describe what happens behind that screen in the dispensary area of your local Pharmacy. Heather Webb and Sarah Wilkinson, of Thurso Co-operative Pharmacy, will explain that there is so much more to Pharmacy than just counting tablets at the Thurso event. And, at the Wick event, this will be explained by David Dunn, of Pulteneytown Pharmacy. They will describe how they make sure your prescription is transformed into a pack of tablets or capsules or a bottle of medicine, in such a way that you and your doctor can be assured that you are getting exactly the right medicine, in exactly the right dose, and also, vitally importantly, that there is no likelihood of one medicine reacting badly with another you are taking. There are a whole range of health services that your local Community Pharmacy can provide, most of which are free and available to all. The Pharmacists speaking at these events will try to cover all these subjects and more.

Lastly, our closing speaker, Dr Helen Charley, a Cromarty GP and previous GP Lead for Palliative Care in NHS Highland, will tackle Palliative Care – the care of those with incurable illnesses and approaching the end of life. This is one of the most difficult and emotive subjects and, although not carried out behind closed doors, it is something that is not often talked about, but will touch all our lives in some way or another. NHS Scotland has a national end of life strategy, entitled “Living Well – Dying Well”, the implementation of which will help to raise standards in palliative care across all care settings, including patients’ homes and care homes as well as hospitals and hospices. During her talk, she will uncover some of her more personal reasons for her lifelong dedication to this difficult subject. Her hope is that a better understanding of the services available for palliative care in patients’ own homes will help to relieve some of the anxiety carers often encounter.

This event is run by The Caithness Branch of The British Science Association and supported by NHS Highland. It is open to all members of the public and is a unique opportunity to see and hear from those whose work affects and benefits all our lives. It will also be a valuable opportunity for young people coming close to the point in their education where they are thinking of career choices as it will provide a chance to talk to people actively involved in these career fields, who can answer questions on a whole range of subjects that could help them in making their career choices.

Entry is free to all and light refreshments will be served. More information can be found at www.caithness-science.org (http://www.caithness-science.org/) or by phoning 07531 271 748, 7 days a week from 9am to 9pm.

inorg
01-Sep-11, 20:46
Bump to the top

Kodiak
01-Sep-11, 20:52
I took one look at that block of text and Shuddered. I still have not read a word of it and possibly wont.

Could you not have made it a little more user friendly by the use of Paragraphs. It would have made it a lot easier to read, especially for people who, like me, have problems reading Blocks of text due to bad eyesight.

pat
01-Sep-11, 21:31
Agree with you Kodiak - they could have looked at the text and broken it up at least a little.

I wear glasses but the sight of that post is immediately off-putting and makes me think the whatever is propsed will be just as difficult to understand and is an immediate switch off to me personally. How many more folk with a post like that cannot read it.

Short sharp and to the point - looks as if the whole subject has been covered before you get there.

Kenn
01-Sep-11, 22:17
As I understand it, it's an oppurtunity to meet workers within the healthcare service that we know little of and a chance for them to explain the work they do.
Should be interesting to those who have never thought about what goes on behind the scenes.

pat
02-Sep-11, 07:28
Yes Lizz - that was what I read eventuallky - why not say that in the couple of lines it took you to say it?

Is this not typical of the gobbildegook and longwindedness of many trying (and mainly failing drastically) to show their position and importance - keep it simple and get the message over easily to the masses.

It will be very interesting but if I was faced with a message like that I personally would think - this is going to be extremely boring if this is how they set out something to attract folk to their informative function!

oldmarine
02-Sep-11, 15:20
I seem to have a problem. I have three different doctors each ordering periodic blood tests to evaluate my health problems. My health insurance provider is questioning why all this is needed.
At 86 years of age I almost feel like giving up and telling everyone where they can put it. Not in a very delicate place. My wife is very little help. She tells me to be happy that enough people care about me to try to help me get through the problems. She's probably correct.

Moira
02-Sep-11, 20:50
I've split the text into paragraphs so hope it makes better reading. :D

Kenn
02-Sep-11, 23:33
Attended the one in Thurso tonight, very interesting so if you have the chance to attend in Wick on Saturday go along.