PDA

View Full Version : Advice re installation of oil tank

beetlecrusher
16-Aug-11, 20:29
Hello Orgers! Looking for your experiences and advice around the installation of a central heating oil tank. What does a tank cost? What does it cost to have installed? Does it have to be sited a minimum distance from the house?

Look forward to your comments

pat
16-Aug-11, 21:25
I have my tank raised a fair bit off the ground, need steps when it requires filling, due to this and the chance of being seen from all around due to the height there is less likelihood of getting syphoned (Ihope)
Had tank replaced about 1 1/2 year ago it is 1800litres and cost me £1000 for replacement. Worth shopping around - here there is not much chance of shopping around to get work done, live on Isle of Lewis.

davem
16-Aug-11, 21:45
I read somewhere that the regs are changing or have changed - I think tanks have to be bunded now so they can't leak.

beetlecrusher
17-Aug-11, 20:20
Thanks folks

orkneycadian
17-Aug-11, 20:34
I have my tank raised a fair bit off the ground, need steps when it requires filling, due to this and the chance of being seen from all around due to the height there is less likelihood of getting syphoned (Ihope)

That extra height will make it all the easier to siphon! Oil will run down the pipe faster! Tank will be empty quicker so hoodlums will have less chance of being caught! [lol]

pat
17-Aug-11, 23:41
The thief would have to really cllimb up, be outlined and lit by the sensor lights covering this area, they also would drive down the road with all my nosey neighbours who see everyone move whatever time of day or night. The long path leading up to the tank area are quarry stones which crunch loudly as you walk over them, no chance of going quietly along there I hope.
Also have a sensor on this path area which pings when anyone/thing breaks the beam.

orkneycadian
18-Aug-11, 09:31
Wow, must be a lot of crime over there!

pat
18-Aug-11, 10:12
No crime just deterrent - sensor lights are for when the dogs go out one of the back doors at night. The infra red trip was for a very nosey neighbour who used to continually come to my back door via this path, got warning and usually managed to have coat on to go out for appointment I had scheduled as this person was opening doors and trying to settle down for a cuppa and blether in my dining room. Forewarned enabled me to be a little bit prepared for handling this unwelcome visitor without being too obviously rude!