PDA

View Full Version : What do they know that we don't?

Kenn
16-Aug-11, 17:18
I was a little surprised to see large skeins of Greylags coming down at Sandside today, there must have been in excess of 200 birds across two fields, they seemed to be approaching from the north west so am fairly sure they are migrants.
If they are arriving this early, what has driven them south? I would not expect to see them for another 3/4 weeks.
The resident ones we know well and had seen a few earlier in the day in The Strathalladale area where they seem to have bred very succesfully this year.

kas
16-Aug-11, 23:11
No you are okay LIZZ, it is not early for this bunch.
They are local breeders and always gather at this time of year.

Kenn
17-Aug-11, 10:42
Thanks kas, does any one know why the locals gather?
It was just the numbers that made me think that the migration had started alhough am aware that some have the sense not to bother with all that effort !
Does any one know how many breed around the area?
Have seen small flocks along Strathalladale ,Strathy West through out the year and have seen quite a few goslings too.

starfish
17-Aug-11, 10:59
if they start migrating early it means it could be a bad winter look at last year they were early and said we were going to have a bad one the geese where right lets hope kas is right and they are locals

kas
17-Aug-11, 16:52
Dont know the ins and outs but these greylags will have bred in north Scotland and have always started to gather around the 15th of August in the fields around Vulcan. I remeber thinkning the same thing many years back when I started birdwatching.

Pinkfeet geese are always arrive ahead of the migratory Greylags.
I would imagine it is natural instinct to gather when the breeding season is complete?

pat
17-Aug-11, 23:15
Noticed over here on Lewis the greylags have multiplied manyfold in the last week, where there had been a couple hanging around and landing there are now about 20, everytime I look there appears to be more and more of them flying over or landing - am preparing for a very hard winter again.

orkneycadian
18-Aug-11, 13:59
They've probably come here for some space, having bred to overpopulation levels wherever they go to in the summer!

Never mind, season opens on the 1st of September again!

r.rackstraw
19-Aug-11, 22:23
I was a little surprised to see large skeins of Greylags coming down at Sandside today, there must have been in excess of 200 birds across two fields, they seemed to be approaching from the north west so am fairly sure they are migrants. If they are arriving this early, what has driven them south? I would not expect to see them for another 3/4 weeks. The resident ones we know well and had seen a few earlier in the day in The Strathalladale area where they seem to have bred very succesfully this year. Yes almost certain to be local breeders. They used to be scarce and nested in remote places, but far more numerous and widespread now. After breeding they flock together for the moult - Loch Loyal is a main moulting site. Probably the flocks then stay together for the winter. I saw ~ 50 at Loch Eriboll a few days ago.

Kenn
20-Aug-11, 11:26
Thanks rackstraw, a few years since I saw them at Loch Loyal but would have been about this time of year.