PDA

View Full Version : Royal Dutch Shell Gannet Alpha Oil spill

golach
16-Aug-11, 13:38
I am really surprised, that the environmental and the usually indignant Orgers have no jumped on to this potential disaster on the North Sea bandwagon.
Shell are not giving much away as usual, now we hear there are not just one but two leaks. The North Sea is the lifeline for our fishermen, I wonder what cost this spillage will be to our wild life as well.

mi16
16-Aug-11, 15:49
The Noth sea and in particular the oil and gas supplies are the lifeline for our entire nation.
Main priority to stem the leak to prevent out black gold being polluted with bleedin seawater.

On a serious note, this breach of containment in a mere pimple on the bottom of the deepwater horizon spill at only 5 barrels a day.
This will have little or no impact on the fishing industry or wildlife.

orkneycadian
17-Aug-11, 07:37
The North Sea is the lifeline for our fishermen.....

[lol] Have you seen how little fishermen(women!) are actually left? And how few days they are allowed to go to sea for, and how little they are allowed to catch? [lol]

I'll wager theres many times more folk employed in Tesco in Scotland selling imported fish from halfway round the globe than there are fishermen!

Walter Ego
17-Aug-11, 08:33
[lol] Have you seen how little fishermen(women!) are actually left? And how few days they are allowed to go to sea for, and how little they are allowed to catch? [lol]

I'll wager theres many times more folk employed in Tesco in Scotland selling imported fish from halfway round the globe than there are fishermen!

Which goes to show that the person in the street couldn't care less about Scottish fishermen - they just want 'cheap fish' and to hell with the local economy.

John Little
17-Aug-11, 08:39
I am really surprised, that the environmenal and the usually indignant Orgers have no jumped on to this potential disaster on the North Sea bandwagon.
Shell are not giving much away as usual, now we hear there are not just one but two leaks. The North Sea is the lifeline for our fishermen, I wonder what cost this spillage will be to our wild life as well.

Aye - you are right.

I cannot help reflecting that there's a bit of a contradiction. It's okay for human stupidity and equipment failures to allow a pollution with oil, but for human stupidity and equipment failures to pollute with nuclear is not.

Corrie 3
17-Aug-11, 09:24
As with any Industry there will always be risks and accidents and oil production is no different. We have to be prepared for spills like this one now and again. And unless you can live your life without oil and oil related products I don't think you have a right to question it too much!! If you can manage to live your life without oil then you can make as much noise as you like about the spills and accidents!!

C3.......:roll:

George Brims
17-Aug-11, 20:54
Aye - you are right.

I cannot help reflecting that there's a bit of a contradiction. It's okay for human stupidity and equipment failures to allow a pollution with oil, but for human stupidity and equipment failures to pollute with nuclear is not.
I don't think you would find many people (other than corporate mouthpieces and managers trying to cover their rear ends) who would say that nuclear pollution was not a problem.

This North Sea spill made the news all the way over in California, which I suppose is understandable considering the mess BP made in the Gulf, but 5 barrels a day is tiny. For comparison, there is a natural oil seep in the sea floor off Santa Barbara that releases 100-150 barrels a day. So if you come to California and get a tar ball on your feet on the beach at Malibu, don't automatically blame the oil industry!