PDA

View Full Version : 34 year ago

tonkatojo
16-Aug-11, 12:42
Aye it is 34 years since EAP died, doesn't time fly.

John Little
16-Aug-11, 12:47
I was walking the Pennine Way, passing a house in Hawes Yorkshire and I heard it on the radio through the open window - a very hot day.

linnie612
16-Aug-11, 12:54
I suppose we were all shook up at the time

Saveman
16-Aug-11, 13:14
Real conversation from 34 years ago:

Me: Dad, why don't we go to funerals?

Dad: We do son. We go to funerals of people we know.

Me: So why didn't we go to Elvis' funeral?

shazzap
16-Aug-11, 13:17
Eap????????????? :confused

linnie612
16-Aug-11, 14:13
I can only assume its Elvis Arron Presley. I remember news of his death on the telly - I would have been around seven at the time

Tilly Teckel
16-Aug-11, 15:36
34 years since EAP died

... or did he? ;)

pat
16-Aug-11, 16:02
Been swimming in a lake in Nova Scotia, on return switched on radio to hear the announcement - pal started howling, couldn't get her to stop greeting for seveeral days.

Bazeye
16-Aug-11, 17:06
... or did he? ;)

I hope so. They buried him.

Bazeye
16-Aug-11, 17:07
Been swimming in a lake in Nova Scotia, on return switched on radio to hear the announcement - pal started howling, couldn't get her to stop greeting for seveeral days.

You should have told your pal to get a life.

linnie612
16-Aug-11, 17:08
... or did he? ;)

Well, there's a guy works down the chipshop SWEARS he's Elvis

Tilly Teckel
16-Aug-11, 19:09
Well, there's a guy works down the chipshop SWEARS he's Elvis

"But he's a liar, and I'm not sure about you"!

joxville
16-Aug-11, 19:14
He was just a karaoke singer who happened along at the right time, and his 'acting' was woeful. :roll:

He's deid, get over it.

tonkatojo
16-Aug-11, 19:18
You should have told your pal to get a life.

I don't think that phrase was in circulation in those years.;)

linnie612
16-Aug-11, 19:35
"But he's a liar, and I'm not sure about you"!

I'm not! I promise! Kirsty told me:)

pat
16-Aug-11, 19:54
At this time 34 years ago I could not beleive an adult could get so upset about the death of somebody they did not know.

Since then the death of Princess Diana to name one of the 'celebrity deaths' - has seen such outpouring of shows of emotions that I personally find extremely strange and am unable to comprehend.

Bazeye
16-Aug-11, 22:24
At this time 34 years ago I could not beleive an adult could get so upset about the death of somebody they did not know.

Since then the death of Princess Diana to name one of the 'celebrity deaths' - has seen such outpouring of shows of emotions that I personally find extremely strange and am unable to comprehend.

Yep. If you dont know them, dont grieve for them.

Bazeye
16-Aug-11, 22:26
I don't think that phrase was in circulation in those years.;)

Should have just given her a slap then and told her to get a grip.

Bazeye
16-Aug-11, 22:30
I was in the Masons Arms in Dalton when it was announced on the news that Sid Vicious was dead. So I went to the bar for another pint and a packet of pork scratchings.

shazzap
17-Aug-11, 10:27

It is just mass hysteria. They have no emotional ties to them. You can empathies, and sympathy for them.

Tilly Teckel
17-Aug-11, 17:47
A great musician/actor/artist etc can affect their fans very deeply and I don't think it's odd or hysterical to mourn their loss. I was brought up listening to The Beatles, and John Lennon was my hero; I was only five when he died but I still remember feeling sad that he was gone and there would be no more music. Does that make me strange?

tonkatojo
17-Aug-11, 17:58
He was just a karaoke singer who happened along at the right time, and his 'acting' was woeful. :roll:

He's deid, get over it.

Got to agree with your "acting" statement, but karaoke singer the machine wasn't invented in those days.

Tubthumper
17-Aug-11, 18:02
I thought 'The Pit & The Pendulum' was pretty good. But I don't remember being upset when he croaked. What was it that Quoth the raven said - was it Nevermore or Nevermind?

linnie612
17-Aug-11, 20:16
It was nevermore

Corrie 3
17-Aug-11, 20:37
I cried and cried for months when Jade Goody died...... (remember her)?

I was heartbroken that Jack Tweed beat me to her fortune, I shall never forgive him!!!!!

C3.......:eek::roll:;)

George Brims
17-Aug-11, 20:42
... or did he? ;)
Nah. Years later we saw him in Vegas, in line for the buffet all-you-can-eat dinner at Excalibur. Chunky sort of Elvis, he was.