PDA

View Full Version : Charity shops

angela5
02-Oct-06, 14:01
Just been a look around a few of them, looking for a few bits for haloween
Good grief £4.50 for used t-shirts:eek: ye gotta be kidding. I don't mind one bit giving to charity but that's a joke. With new-look up the road selling plain t-shirts at £4, it's about time the local charity shops revised their prices.
Moan over:D

badger
02-Oct-06, 15:49
Quite agree some of them do seem a bit greedy when you consider all the stuff they sell is donated and staff are volunteers. It's still possible to get great bargains but equally some stuff is overpriced rubbish and it seems a lot depends on whoever did pricing. They really need to look more carefully at what they're selling and be aware of current new prices .

Also annoys me that so many toys are sold broken or with parts missing so they're useless, or books scribbled in. Why do people give this stuff when it's only fit for the bin? So much must have to be thrown away eventually.

I suppose it's a bit like ebay - you can get bargains but need to shop carefully.

changilass
02-Oct-06, 16:05
Don't mind them selling toys with bits missing as long as they can still be played with and there is a warning on the box.

A friend of mine bought a toy for her youngster, when they got it home the child excitedly tried putting it together only to find bits missing, the look on the childs face when they thought they wouldn't be able to play with it is something the folk in the shop should have been made to witness,[disgust]

Luckily they managed to get it in to some sort of order and peace and play was restored.:D

martin macdonald
02-Oct-06, 17:26
yes i agree. some of the prices are OTT, i let the staff know it and voice my concern. i think if everyone did this they would take note.:Razz

saxovtr
02-Oct-06, 17:52
thats bad make a complaint;)

Bobinovich
02-Oct-06, 18:28
I was recently in one doing some IT work and noticed a 2nd hand DVD player going for £25:eek: . I turned to the manageress and told them outright that it was ridiculous as you can get them new for under £20. They appeared shocked and promptly took it down to £10.

2little2late
02-Oct-06, 20:15
Just been a look around a few of them, looking for a few bits for haloween
Good grief £4.50 for used t-shirts:eek: ye gotta be kidding. I don't mind one bit giving to charity but that's a joke. With new-look up the road selling plain t-shirts at £4, it's about time the local charity shops revised their prices.
Moan over:D

This seems to be an ongoing problem with charity shops. Alright, they need to make as much money as possible towards research or palliative care etc. but do they not realise that if the sold their items alot cheaper than what they do the would actually make more money?

Kaishowing
02-Oct-06, 20:22
The prices in the charity shops further south are far more realistic on the whole....and there are some that have genuine bargains (PB books 25p HB books 50p for instance), and these are the shops that are NEVER empty and seem to make the most for their respective charities.
Considering that for most of them it's pure profit, and overheads are minimal as 9 times out of 10 the people serving in the shops donate their own time too, there's no real excuse for pricing themselves to the edge of extortion.
I know I'm not saying anything new here, but if someone from the shops see's another similar gripe, they might just take note!!!
("Oh look!! A flying pig!")

newpark
02-Oct-06, 20:56
I find Wick charity shops are much more realistic than Thurso. But on the whole they are all expensive.

orkneylass
02-Oct-06, 21:48
Charity shops usually reflect their area. In Central Chichester some years ago I saw a charity shop that had a special rail for designer outfits!!!!!

WeeBurd
02-Oct-06, 21:51
Charity shops usually reflect their area. In Central Chichester some years ago I saw a charity shop that had a special rail for designer outfits!!!!!

Aye, Caithness Charity Shops have a special rail for all those leather/suede bomber jackets, bleached Wranglers (tight fit of course), and hi-tech trainers that used to be oh so popular with the local males... [lol]

connieb19
02-Oct-06, 22:10
Aye, Caithness Charity Shops have a special rail for all those leather/suede bomber jackets, bleached Wranglers (tight fit of course), and hi-tech trainers that used to be oh so popular with the local males... [lol]
Lol, bleached wranglers, reminds me of a date I had. As if bleaches wasna bad enough, when he sat down they were half way up his legs, and all baggy at the backside when he stood up. [disgust]

WeeBurd
02-Oct-06, 22:12
Lol, bleached wranglers, reminds me of a date I had. As if bleaches wasna bad enough, when he sat down they were half way up his legs, and all baggy at the backside when he stood up. [disgust]

I bet he had white sports socks under them too :eek: ...

connieb19
02-Oct-06, 22:14
I bet he had white sports socks under them too :eek: ...
You must know him well lol.. :lol:

WeeBurd
02-Oct-06, 22:18
You must know him well lol..

I deny it all! MrBurd is a city-slicker... he was quite taken with the local "uniform" when he first moved up, more so as a kind of comedy thing though - the stereotypical Caithness man, found in Top Joes on a Friday night, about 5pm, in his hi-tecs, bleachies and bomber. [lol]

Fortunately Caithness men have moved on since then... or have they [para] ?

connieb19
02-Oct-06, 22:28
Lol, what about jogging bottoms with brogues..:confused

WeeBurd
02-Oct-06, 22:29
'Am sure 'at chist Week, Connie! [lol]

Fran
06-Oct-06, 02:48
I was in the Home-aid shop in thurso and amazed at how their prices have increased, especially jewellery, it was cheaper to go to the sale in mackays store.They will have 3 floors of good s at the homeaid shop from next week, lets hope they put the prices down.

clash67
06-Oct-06, 19:50
does that soor puss Avril still work at Home Aid, I ask because I have some stuff to donate but if she is there I won't bother.

Mr P Cannop
06-Oct-06, 19:58
does that soor puss Avril still work at Home Aid, I ask because I have some stuff to donate but if she is there I won't bother.

yes i think so

moose and Lindsay
06-Oct-06, 20:18
No she doesn't, it is a nice lady called Michelle that is in charge of the place now, i think Avril moved away months ago

Mr P Cannop
06-Oct-06, 20:21
as i said i think so