PDA

View Full Version : How lucky we are in Scotland

bekisman
14-Aug-11, 13:35
Been down in Lancashire since yesterday, decided this morning to nip up to the BIG ASDA near Preston, found the carpark deserted and although the signs say 'Open 24 hours' it said not open till 10am, eventually the doors opened and every few minutes a message over the loud-speaker system "Until 10.30am customers may browse, no checkouts will be open until that time" - penny dropped, seemed to remember that in England on Sunday they supermarkets are only open until 4pm on Sunday!
We mentioned to the till operator (after 10.30am of course) that in Scotland Supermarkets are open all day, and certainly don't close at 4pm on Sunday! they did not believe it..
OK no big deal, but watching thousands of folks scrambling for goods during the few hours they are open, is pathetic..
If we in Scotland can (and have done for ? years) how the hell can't they in England, is this the 'Lord's Day Observance Socity'? or what..
Never mind, heading home to Scotland tomorrow!! Yippee

stekar
14-Aug-11, 13:50
On a recent trip down to Yorkshire, we had to remind ourselves that the supermarkets wouldn't be open early on the Sunday when we were setting off back home and wanted to get a few things before we set off.
They never used to let you have the 'browsing' time a few years back, they were open 10-4 or 11-5. Though we don't want to be shopping all day, it's good to be able to go to a supermarket or shop in Scotland on a Sunday earlier or later.

Garnet
14-Aug-11, 13:50
YES bekisman we really are lucky in Scotland with many things not to mention last weeks troubles, maybe we're just less...dare I say it.....holy...gawd I'm gonna get slated for that!!! No speeding now in your hurry to get back, oh and if sign says 24hrs isn't it illegal to do otherwise....just a thought.;)

oldmarine
14-Aug-11, 16:09
I always preferred Scotland to England. You folk in Caithness have the best of Scotland.

cherokee
14-Aug-11, 17:56
You folk in Caithness have the best of Scotland.

Haven't we just Oldmarine !! Definetely God's Country....we're blessed.

Beat Bug
14-Aug-11, 19:12
I always preferred Scotland to England. You folk in Caithness have the best of Scotland.
Couldn't agree more!

Blazing Sporrans
14-Aug-11, 19:20
I always preferred Scotland to England. You folk in Caithness have the best of Scotland.With the exception of the beaches of the Western Isles oldmarine, I'm afraid nothing up here can even come close....

bekisman
14-Aug-11, 20:01
YES bekisman we really are lucky in Scotland with many things not to mention last weeks troubles, maybe we're just less...dare I say it.....holy...gawd I'm gonna get slated for that!!! No speeding now in your hurry to get back, oh and if sign says 24hrs isn't it illegal to do otherwise....just a thought.;)
Mrs Beks drives now, a wee bit slower than usual, she's already had a speeding ticket two years ago. Yes does seem strange that 24 hours open does not mean what it says, but thy DO have smaller writing on the main sign, getting around it, but giving times for Saturday (10pm close) etc..
Never mind a Perth hotel tomorrow night, a break on the way...

Joe Mclaughlin
14-Aug-11, 20:15
Hi

I live in Bolton not too far from Preston. Yes the supermarkets don't open til 10.30 on a Sunday and do shut at 4. There are positives from this: people get a lie in on a sunday! People can get to church! Do people really want to work every day? Do we really want to shop every day? Do we need 24hr shopping, ok night workers may want that, but I have to say I have never, ever seen people "scrambling for goods" there are usually plenty of produce and lots of checkouts. Only problem is some people here in England forget to pay and loot what they want!! lol

Alice in Blunderland
14-Aug-11, 20:40
Only problem is some people here in England forget to pay and loot what they want!! lol

Not even waiting until 10.30 for the shops to open either ;)

Bazeye
14-Aug-11, 21:43

Racist......

shazzap
14-Aug-11, 21:46
Racist......

Ha ha.:lol:[lol]:D

Bazeye
14-Aug-11, 21:46
Btw. Was in a pub in Stromness a few years ago and noticed a card behind the bar saying So and Sos taxis, 24 hour service(when available). :confused

Angel
14-Aug-11, 21:49
Don't tell everyone Oldmarine... It's a secret!

Angel...

binnes
14-Aug-11, 21:52
I too have a saoft spot for Lancashire especially around Preston and Lancaster.

bekisman
14-Aug-11, 22:38
Hi

I live in Bolton not too far from Preston. Yes the supermarkets don't open til 10.30 on a Sunday and do shut at 4. There are positives from this: people get a lie in on a sunday! People can get to church! Do people really want to work every day? Do we really want to shop every day? Do we need 24hr shopping, ok night workers may want that, but I have to say I have never, ever seen people "scrambling for goods" there are usually plenty of produce and lots of checkouts. Only problem is some people here in England forget to pay and loot what they want!! lol
Calm down, don't take it too seriously.. just pointing out that for us (lucky) ones who live in Scotland we have a lot of freedom to do what we want on a Sunday - as to what opening hours have to do with going to church is beyond me.. 'scrambling for goods' well yes, there was actually a tussle with some folks trying to get into the store - presume they had a lot of 'browsing' to do, before rusing off to do something else.. Have YOU ever lived in Scotland? we certainly seem to manage to open for longer hours without all the nonsence of 'do we want to shop all day' or 'get a lie in'. My point was the fact that down in backward England you don't have the chance to shop when you want instead of some outdated and stupid 'law' that precludes it..
Anyway of to lovely on Perth tomorrow, before heading further up to THE FAR NORTH...lovely