PDA

View Full Version : Cliques

bagpuss
12-Aug-11, 23:58
Caithness has in fact got a two tier society- there are the people who live in the county and those who 'own' it and drop in for the odd spot of hospitality and culture.

Lord Maclennan of Rogart (the former MP) is currently developing an old mill (with funds from benefactors and arts charities) in order to create a retreat to be used by RSMD. Nothing new here- but how many of the orgers have ever attended an event in any of the following?

Live Arts concerts at Thurso High School
Lyth Arts centre
The opera house at Ackergill Tower
Freswick Castle
Northlands Creative Glass

and how cultured are you?

Do you live in a hoose or a shooting lodge? is your castle really a castle? and is your real home in Gloucestershire or Belgravia?

davem
13-Aug-11, 00:39
Been to all; bar Ackergill and Freswick - haven't been there because I haven't fancied seeing anything that has been on. Resent any implications as to what my personal preferences imply about membership of cliques or the bizarre idea that I might be more likely to live in a castle. All events I've been to were open to all and I am pleased to live in a county where so many people put themselves out to make entertainment that would usually stay south of Inverness easily available to us.
There may be many reasons to have large chips on your shoulder; but if you choose not to go to something you may or may not like, the only person excluding you from that activity is yourself.

As for how cultured I am - I think my knuckles are free from grazes, I like what I like - don't think I or anyone else deserves to be judged though!

theone
13-Aug-11, 02:45
I'm sorry if I'm wrong Bagpuss, but you sound like you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder.

People who do nothing for the county are criticised for doing nothing, and those who do are criticised for creating cliques!

All the places mentioned in your post offer events to the general public. The only thing preventing you, or anyone else, attending is your own prejudices. Not any clique produced by those wishing to experience and share some culture.

ducati
13-Aug-11, 06:17
I'd have thought (if you think that OP) you could say the same about anywhere in the country. How many 'real' Londoners attend the opera?

Walter Ego
13-Aug-11, 07:31
Caithness has in fact got a two tier society- there are the people who live in the county and those who 'own' it and drop in for the odd spot of hospitality and culture.

Lord Maclennan of Rogart (the former MP) is currently developing an old mill (with funds from benefactors and arts charities) in order to create a retreat to be used by RSMD. Nothing new here- but how many of the orgers have ever attended an event in any of the following?

Lyth Arts centre
Freswick Castle

Do you live in a hoose or a shooting lodge? is your castle really a castle? and is your real home in Gloucestershire or Belgravia?

No, but hardly the preserve of some nebulous 'uberclass' of wealthy outsiders, is it?
Yes
No. But I don't feel somehow excluded from society in Caithness because of it.
Private house - so why the hell should Mr Watts be involved in this?
No, but it's not exactly difficult to get 'in' to, is it?

TBH, Bagpuss, your post regarding who 'owns' Caithness sounds like nothing more than snide parochial 'cliqueyness' at its worst (they're not one of 'us' or related to 'us' and they appear to have money). Or inverted snobbery at its worst. Take your pick.

Whatever it is, I'm just glad that most people up here - along with most people elsewhere in this country - don't think like that.

Torvaig
13-Aug-11, 08:20
No, but hardly the preserve of some nebulous 'uberclass' of wealthy outsiders, is it?
Yes
No. But I don't feel somehow excluded from society in Caithness because of it.
Private house - so why the hell should Mr Watts be involved in this?
No, but it's not exactly difficult to get 'in' to, is it?

TBH, Bagpuss, your post regarding who 'owns' Caithness sounds like nothing more than snide parochial 'cliqueyness' at its worst (they're not one of 'us' or related to 'us' and they appear to have money). Or inverted snobbery at its worst. Take your pick.

Whatever it is, I'm just glad that most people up here - along with most people elsewhere in this country - don't think like that.

Thank you Walter Ego; you've said it all! There in nothing more pitiful than an "inverted snob"; pitiful and pathetic....

Mrs Bucket
13-Aug-11, 08:31
Get a life. Anyone can go to these places I am a regular joe blogs but I have been to a couple of them and think it is great to have that opportunity.

Phill
13-Aug-11, 10:45
Oh dear, oh dear!

You should be jolly well thankful that we allow you to have a sniff of culture now and again, not that you'll appreciate it though.

Gloucestershire, not what it was dharling, the yokels have been rioting there too. Belgravia, so nouveau riche and, well just tacky really.

The family kept a 'real' home in Cheshire dear, a little pad in Tatton. A tad more leafy than urban London. Belgravia indeed!

golach
13-Aug-11, 11:08
Lyth Arts centre
Freswick Castle

Just a little thought bagpuss, how many of the above have you or your famous brother in law attended?

pat
13-Aug-11, 11:26
Well said Walter Ego - I do not live in the county but I have been to most of the venues mentioned whilst up in the county.

Thank goodness these folk have gone to the bother of trying and managing to get funding to open their venues to the public - I do not care if it is their house or their property these people have made a huge contribution to the lives of the folk in the far north of Scotland

Phill
13-Aug-11, 11:36
There is a certain amount of snobbery in the county, but you get that anywhere. It probably stands out more in smaller populations and due to the geography up here. True though, some of that snobbery comes from outsiders / incomers. But plenty from within too.

It is however, not exclusive, anyone can be a snob!

But it is a subjective matter, much like rich or poor. One's perception of others is driven by your own standards and status.

Some people will judge you on your voice / accent and elocution, some by your apparent (or advertised) wealth, some by your education. Some will judge by the care you drive, or clothes you wear. Some by how you pimp your ride, the amount of bling you wear or your 'props'.

But as for the arts, opera etc. in Caithness they always seem to be advertised so not at all exclusive. And I'm pretty confident about a couple of them, that if you get in touch they'll be more than happy to show you round or keep you informed of the next event.

Personally though I prefer the simple things in life, like thievery and looting.

rob1
13-Aug-11, 11:45
Bagpuss - Perhaps you should turn off your computer, get off your bum and go out in to caithness and explore. Then you might find that you enjoy some of the events that people spend alot of effort to put on for the people of caithness. Go on and stop being so lazy and being pathetic

Kenn
13-Aug-11, 12:10
Well said all. I too totally disagree with the original post.
I admit to being an incomer, but I chose to move here for many reasons not the least being the sheer diversity of what is on offer.
I have attended many events from the every day to concerts and have felt welcome where ever I have chosen to go.
I have never noticed any cliques although am aware that many folk do not have the same interests or hobbies as myself and applaud them for that, without diversity we are nothing.
My main problem is finding the time to pursue my many interests and to cope with the warmth and generosity of those involved in all aspects of both the cultural and every day life.

bagpuss
13-Aug-11, 14:51
Okay, I'll put my hands up to doing a spot of stirring here. I've actually been to all of the places I mentioned- mainly tagging along after my friend who does a lot of schools/arts liaison. One I particularly enjoyed was Ackergill Tower's Shakespeare season- but that was almost 15 years ago.

Another event I really enjoyed was the annual Northlands Festival. However while those events were open to the public, finding out about them, and getting tickets isn't I gather that easy nowadays. Friend- who did lots of stuff before, hasn't been out to anything over past decade (looking after elderly relatives means she can't go out in the evenings)- and tells me that when she has managed to find an event it has been either prohibitively expensive or limited to a small clique- so much so that she's left in tears.

Living in London, with fewer responsibilities, and lots of opportunities, I'm a regular theatre goer, thank you very much.

And its really nice to know that the orgers are a cultured bunch- and happy to pay for other people's projects

golach
13-Aug-11, 16:46
Okay, I'll put my hands up to doing a spot of stirring here. I've actually been to all of the places I mentioned- mainly tagging along after my friend who does a lot of schools/arts liaison. One I particularly enjoyed was Ackergill Tower's Shakespeare season- but that was almost 15 years ago.

I suggest you read the Org rules Bagpuss especially this one
"Trolling"
This describes various practices including, starting a thread with a view to raising the tempers of others, bringing back to the top old threads that have died out naturally with a pointless quip, needling other members into a pointless argument. Accusations of trolling will be based on our own view of posts and the initial reaction by our members.

The Infraction points will vary from 1 point for minor trolling to 5 points for repeated trolling, duration of the points will vary but will generally 3 months.

Walter Ego
13-Aug-11, 19:42
Okay, I'll put my hands up to doing a spot of stirring here.

Nope, you went out of your way to promote your idiotic and ill-informed tripe.

I've actually been to all of the places I mentioned- mainly tagging along after my friend who does a lot of schools/arts liaison. One I particularly enjoyed was Ackergill Tower's Shakespeare season- but that was almost 15 years ago.

So you have no relevant recent experience on which you are basing your waffle.

Another event I really enjoyed was the annual Northlands Festival. However while those events were open to the public, finding out about them, and getting tickets isn't I gather that easy nowadays. Friend- who did lots of stuff before, hasn't been out to anything over past decade (looking after elderly relatives means she can't go out in the evenings)- and tells me that when she has managed to find an event it has been either prohibitively expensive or limited to a small clique- so much so that she's left in tears.

Ahhhh, I see. You're basing your incisive analysis on one individual and not the experience of many in the far North. And certainly not your own experiences, which, given the amount of what you appeared to pass off as informed criticism in your opening post comes as rather a surprise......

Living in London, with fewer responsibilities, and lots of opportunities, I'm a regular theatre goer, thank you very much.

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. You're getting smug as you think you're part of the 'City' set as opposed as to the 'silly ignorant provincial' set. A good mark of a inept snob desperate to be 'something'.

And its really nice to know that the orgers are a cultured bunch- and happy to pay for other people's projects

Yes. Easily gulled bumpkins, the lot of us, now run along and leave local Arts to those who are happy with it.

Torvaig
13-Aug-11, 19:54
Well said all. I too totally disagree with the original post.
I admit to being an incomer, but I chose to move here for many reasons not the least being the sheer diversity of what is on offer.
I have attended many events from the every day to concerts and have felt welcome where ever I have chosen to go.
I have never noticed any cliques although am aware that many folk do not have the same interests or hobbies as myself and applaud them for that, without diversity we are nothing.
My main problem is finding the time to pursue my many interests and to cope with the warmth and generosity of those involved in all aspects of both the cultural and every day life.

Ach Lizz; ye're an adopted local don't you know! In the end it is down to personality not wealth or riches.....

Ricanna
13-Aug-11, 20:04
Just a little thought bagpuss, how many of the above have you or your famous brother in law attended?

Can one ask who is one's famous brother in law or will that get me into trouble?

Moira
13-Aug-11, 20:58
Nope, you went out of your way to promote your idiotic and ill-informed tripe.

So you have no relevant recent experience on which you are basing your waffle.

Ahhhh, I see. You're basing your incisive analysis on one individual and not the experience of many in the far North. And certainly not your own experiences, which, given the amount of what you appeared to pass off as informed criticism in your opening post comes as rather a surprise......

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. You're getting smug as you think you're part of the 'City' set as opposed as to the 'silly ignorant provincial' set. A good mark of a inept snob desperate to be 'something'.

Yes. Easily gulled bumpkins, the lot of us, now run along and leave local Arts to those who are happy with it.

I've said it all before Walter but just for the record I'll say it again.

Bagpuss thumbed her snotty nose at all us "hicks" (her word not mine) when she ran off with the guy with the clipboard who was working on the new Tescos store in Wick.

Moira, like the elephant, never forgets. My main concern at the time of "Soorpuss's" rant was that the Ord of Caithness may be closed due to bad weather. I encouraged her to leave early in order to avoid being stuck in Caithness with the "hicks" she apparently despised.

Dadie
13-Aug-11, 22:36
I havent been to any of the above.
Not through the price/availability of tickets but through the lack of childcare.
But I have been to the mill theatre in Thurso to see plays and preformances brought up here as and when something intrests me and I can get the childcare sorted out, and its usually a good night and relatively a good price!

Kells
13-Aug-11, 22:58
Bagpuss a pity you do not know what the word culture means . According to the Collins English dictionary to be cultured is showing or having good taste, manners and education. Going to the theatre does not make you cultured so why not spend some time trying to acquire the attributes that might start you on your way to becoming a cultured person.

pat
13-Aug-11, 23:34
Bagpuss

I hope you do not appear in Caithness at any of these venues - YOU may not be made very welcome due to your ignorance and trying to extract the urine from the folk of Caithness

I personally find your OP extremely offensive now I have read your further posts.
Folk in Caithness are not ignorant, backward or uncultured as you seem to suggest.

pat
14-Aug-11, 09:04
Bagpuss what have YOU done for Caithness culture and the arts, other than attend something very occasionally up here - please do enlighten us here on Caithness.org we would all love to hear.

How about doing something positive and put something in before slating something you obviously know nothing about.

Leanne
14-Aug-11, 09:34
Bagpuss you don't actually live here... Does that make you are one of the people you condemn?

pat
14-Aug-11, 11:00
Having now gone to the bother of reading some of posts started by Bagpuss - have definitely put this TROLL on my ignore list

Only on the continual wind up and extracting the urine from us all.

Torvaig
14-Aug-11, 11:36

Bagpuss has done what she came here to do, she didn't really want our opinion, just wanted to spout her need to be noticed and is now happy to pat us on the head and say "Well done hicks, carry on".

My advice?

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!

Southern-Gal
14-Aug-11, 14:22
Thought you might like this picture :)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/dona_10/Do_not_feed_the_troll.jpg

binnes
14-Aug-11, 18:51
This topic is hilarious fo sho darling :lol:

Hicks indeed :roll:

Angel
14-Aug-11, 21:56
Been to them all as well as Caithness Arts Society art exhibition and the plays and pantos at Wick Assembly Rooms and the Mill Theatre...ETC...ETC...

Angel...

bagpuss
14-Aug-11, 22:12
I think the ire that my initial post aroused speaks for itself. Please note that I didn't at any point attack Moira- who has been particularly vicious in her comment about me over a sustained period of time, and I don't think I actually accused anyone on the org of being uncultured.

The object of the post was that a small minority of people who reside in Caithness for part- not all- of the year have managed to raise a lot of money for projects that the general public are either unaware of, or not welcomed to.

I do not- and never would include Thurso Players or Wick Players in this number, and neither would I cast aspersions on projects that really do enhance the locality like Caithness Horizons or Wick Heritage Centre. My comments were about the closed door culture- where money is raised for cultural events- which are limited to a small clique or minority.

Neither do I attack Ackergill Tower- which brings a great deal of money into the local economy.

far from having a chip on my shoulder- the reactions to the post have revealed that many of the orgers have at least a pound of tatties on theirs. All of a sudden everyone has been to Bob Mclennan's private soirees.

15 years ago, the Northlands Festival was scoffed at by many people as a luvvies fest- but over the last few years of its existence it widened its focus to include the schools and offered lots of street theatre events. Round about the same time, the Tower held events open to the public- not cheap, but the ticket price usually included a meal, and as the tables were communal, it was possible to turn up and join a bigger group.

Northlands ceased when its board fell out and refused to disband,so that their funding (some of it raised by the same former MP from the likes of Mohamed Al Fayed) could be used for other purposes. This is what I meant by cliques. It appears that they are doing much the same thing again. Now- how can the general public ensure that the doors are not closed or the ticket does not read 'black tie only'?

Kells
15-Aug-11, 16:06
I think the ire that my initial post aroused speaks for itself. Please note that I didn't at any point attack Moira- who has been particularly vicious in her comment about me over a sustained period of time, and I don't think I actually accused anyone on the org of being uncultured.

Yes it does but you are reading it wrong, patronising and stupid comes to mind when I consider your posts. Moira spoke her mind and only said what others are thinking namely it is you who lack any form of culture.

The object of the post was that a small minority of people who reside in Caithness for part- not all- of the year have managed to raise a lot of money for projects that the general public are either unaware of, or not welcomed to.

You have already stated that you object in posting was to stir it though the result was you being laughed at so sorry you have not even the ability to stir anything. The one thing Caithness is welcoming to all, full time, part time residents and the few tourists we get. If a function is private then so be it but there are plenty of activities up here for everyone regardless of taste and everyone is welcome.

I do not- and never would include Thurso Players or Wick Players in this number, and neither would I cast aspersions on projects that really do enhance the locality like Caithness Horizons or Wick Heritage Centre. My comments were about the closed door culture- where money is raised for cultural events- which are limited to a small clique or minority.

Neither do I attack Ackergill Tower- which brings a great deal of money into the local economy.

far from having a chip on my shoulder- the reactions to the post have revealed that many of the orgers have at least a pound of tatties on theirs. All of a sudden everyone has been to Bob Mclennan's private soirees.

No idea who Bob Mclennan is, so I do not invite him to my "private soirees" You are so far up your """""""" you cannot see anything far less a chip on anyone's shoulder.

15 years ago, the Northlands Festival was scoffed at by many people as a luvvies fest- but over the last few years of its existence it widened its focus to include the schools and offered lots of street theatre events. Round about the same time, the Tower held events open to the public- not cheap, but the ticket price usually included a meal, and as the tables were communal, it was possible to turn up and join a bigger group.

Sorry honey, you are so out of touch about what is well known up here, you are not giving any insider knowledge.

Northlands ceased when its board fell out and refused to disband,so that their funding (some of it raised by the same former MP from the likes of Mohamed Al Fayed) could be used for other purposes. This is what I meant by cliques. It appears that they are doing much the same thing again. Now- how can the general public ensure that the doors are not closed or the ticket does not read 'black tie only'?

I am well aware as are others what a clique is but obviously you have no idea or you would not be spouting such total drivel. Only at private functions are doors closed and black tie events are very welcome here. You are far too boring and stupid for me to bother answering or reading any more of your total drivel.

Moira
15-Aug-11, 20:37
<snip>
......unadulterated sanctimonious blah-de-blah etc.

Yes I think it does but you still don't seem to be getting the message. Please note that every time you post here undermining and ridiculing Caithness, our community and our culture you do attack me because I am part of all of that and proud to be so. I have not been "particularly vicious" in any comment about you personally. What I have done is reminded both you and anyone else reading and posting here of just how "uncultured" you think we all are by labelling us "hicks".

Wrong, by your own admission, the object of your post was to stir the pot. You've certainly done that.

Please don't accuse me of being vicious or of attacking you unless you can show me the teeth marks and prove they are mine. :roll:

Moira, the hick, feeling sorry for the starving troll and feeding it, signing off.....

Walter Ego
15-Aug-11, 22:25

An eclectic mix of half-arsed backpeddaling, smug condescension and downright crap.

An intelligent post deserves an intelligent response, so here's mine:

Go away.

BTW, I've met more culture starved and ignorant planks in Hampstead than I ever have up here.

Bazeye
15-Aug-11, 22:58
I havent been to any and the grazes on my knuckles are healing very nicely, thank you very much.

binnes
16-Aug-11, 22:53
An eclectic mix of half-arsed backpeddaling, smug condescension and downright crap.

An intelligent post deserves an intelligent response, so here's mine:

Go away.

BTW, I've met more culture starved and ignorant planks in Hampstead than I ever have up here.

Am sat here peeing miself having read that :lol:

Phill
16-Aug-11, 23:34
ramble, ramble, ramble..... ......or the ticket does not read 'black tie only'?Well I've got a black tie, normally reserved for funerals and court appearances. And all yer do is once yer in pass the tie out the bog window so the next person can wear it to get in. [smirk]

bagpuss
17-Aug-11, 18:26
Backpeddling? Moi?

Too much thin skin around here- and some very articulate ranting against the very idea that people posting here (and it might be noted that some are not actually resident in the county) are lacking in culture.

Culture isn't all opera and luvvies- it can be home grown, and comprises of all sorts of music, drama, art etc. The Northlands lobby a few years ago boasted that they were bringing culture to the county- and had to do some reverse pedalling in order to include the community itself and gain funding. They made themselves unpopular by casting the aspersion that there was no culture present before- a fact that Ian Sutherland, Thurso Players and Lyth Arts centre all hotly disputed.

However if you want to settle for being patronised by the luvvies feel free (Moira will no doubt say its just more of bagpuss' sour grapes)

Walter Ego
17-Aug-11, 22:40
Backpeddling? Moi?

Too much thin skin around here- and some very articulate ranting against the very idea that people posting here (and it might be noted that some are not actually resident in the county) are lacking in culture.

Culture isn't all opera and luvvies- it can be home grown, and comprises of all sorts of music, drama, art etc. The Northlands lobby a few years ago boasted that they were bringing culture to the county- and had to do some reverse pedalling in order to include the community itself and gain funding. They made themselves unpopular by casting the aspersion that there was no culture present before- a fact that Ian Sutherland, Thurso Players and Lyth Arts centre all hotly disputed.

However if you want to settle for being patronised by the luvvies feel free (Moira will no doubt say its just more of bagpuss' sour grapes)

Your last sentence reveals just what a narrow minded and condescending person you really are. Met your sort before, ten a penny.

You can bang your drum as much as you like, it won't make any difference whatsoever. Those in the Far North who have the intelligence to make decisions based upon their own experiences or those of their informed colleagues and friends will simply treat your squawking with the contempt it deserves.

Run along now, there's a good girl.

sandyr1
19-Aug-11, 07:36
[QUOTE=Phill;878221]There is a certain amount of snobbery in the county, but you get that anywhere. It probably stands out more in smaller populations and due to the geography up here. True though, some of that snobbery comes from outsiders / incomers. But plenty from within too.

It is however, not exclusive, anyone can be a snob!
But it is a subjective matter, much like rich or poor. One's perception of others is driven by your own standards and statu
Some people will judge you on your voice / accent and elocution, some by your apparent (or advertised) wealth, some by your education. Some will judge by the care you drive, or clothes you wear. Some by how you pimp your ride, the amount of bling you wear or your 'props'.
But as for the arts, opera etc. in Caithness they always seem to be advertised so not at all exclusive. And I'm pretty confident about a couple of them, that if you get in touch they'll be more than happy to show you round or keep you informed of the next event.

You do have a point there......People who think they are important and are not, and those who portray the 'money' and have not..
I think one sees it more clearly if youv'e been away and return....
Once when renting a car at GLA Airport, I was offered a new Mercedes as an upgrade. I turned it down and drove a Passat instead...
Caithness is....he's got a Mercedes...50% would say...he thinks he has money, 50% would say ...he has money. Who cares..............
It takes someone looking in to decipher it...

bagpuss
19-Aug-11, 19:53
Its getting better and better. I've not had such a good giggle in years- especially as many of the people defending the closed culture aren't actually in Caithness any more than I am.

run along, there's a good girl? No fear- keep the insults going

Bazeye
19-Aug-11, 20:14
Oooh! You little tease, you.