PDA

View Full Version : 3 mobile network

hopper.65
12-Aug-11, 23:15
Does anyone use 3 as their mobile operator i was thinking about switching to them as they offer by far the best deals but was wondering what the signal is like in caithness and if the 3g signal is any good around here also?

george1234
13-Aug-11, 00:45
i was on 3. and signal/3g works in latheron and dunbeath! if i were you the best deals out are t-mobile. brilliant signal and also if theres no tmobile signal it automaticly switches to orange! im on a contract (£25 a month, 900 any mins, 500 free texts, unlimited internet, unlimited land line talk, and the best bit is A FREE PHONE)...all for 24months.. im happy

hopper.65
13-Aug-11, 16:45
T mobile no longer offer unlimited internet and have a fairly low usage policy after that you are charged for all additional usage.
3 is the only network now that offer unlimited usage and have the cheapest deal for i phones at £10 a month less than the rest does anyone know if the signal is any good in Thurso and Wick?

JD6400
13-Aug-11, 17:18
3 signal is crap in Caithness I would try carphone warehouse they normally have some ace web offers for O2 or vodafone that the companies themselves can't match!

Dog-eared
13-Aug-11, 19:17
3 is useless up here.

annemarie482
13-Aug-11, 19:24
i used to work for a local firm who sell mobiles.
many many folk came back with network 3 mobiles complaining of signal issues. ie: no signal ANYWHERE
they then phoned 3 (as instructed) from the store and were simply told network 3 dont cover caithness!
in fact cover very little north of inverness!
do not advice it at all, those who are finding it ok are extremely lucky.

Dog-eared
13-Aug-11, 19:27
One of their line managers told me I was 80mls from their nearest dedicated mast, which was the furthest they'd ever seen ! !

Geo
17-Aug-11, 02:33
Just changed my wife's sim from 3 to giffgaff as the 3 signal was so poor all over Caithness.

Metalattakk
17-Aug-11, 03:44
Both me and the wife are on the 3 network. We get a fairly decent 1mbps data transfer over the 3G/HSDPA network in almost all of the Thurso area. Good enough to stream youtube videos etc.

Granted, there are signal black-spots in some crucial areas (the Comm! Grrr!) but generally there's few problems. In Watten I could get a perfectly usable connection outside the Allan's of Gillock shop, but absolutely nothing inside. Not even GPRS.

I would recommend testing the coverage in your area by buying (or borrowing) one of the 3 mobile internet dongles (they're about £20 a pop) before splurging on a new 24 month contract though. Or you could apply on their website for a PAYG sim card, and try it out for about a tenner's top-up.

Or best of all, get a mate who's already on the 3 network to test the area coverage for you. ;)

EDDIE
17-Aug-11, 09:58
T mobile no longer offer unlimited internet and have a fairly low usage policy after that you are charged for all additional usage.
3 is the only network now that offer unlimited usage and have the cheapest deal for i phones at £10 a month less than the rest does anyone know if the signal is any good in Thurso and Wick?

I think its good advice your getting in staying away from 3.
3 might be offering unlimited internet usage on ther mobile network but do you really need unlimited. 500mb on a mobile fone is a lot of internet use and if your using more than that u must be spending most of your life glued to ure fone?.If i was to take a guess i reckon i use about 40mb a month do u no how much internet usage u use on ure fone?
If ure streaming video clips all the time i can see why u would go over 500mb but if your not you would be hard pushed to get anywere near 500mb

aljacan
17-Aug-11, 10:41
Have just left 3 after 4 years signal was useless. Had to stand in certain spot in kitchen to phone anyone. Try looking at e2save have got a good deal with vodafone through them.

Phill
17-Aug-11, 10:46
I got a 3 micro sim for mobile broadband usage. Specifically for use away from home as they offer the best deal and I know they don't cover up here. As above, the coverage up here is bobbins at best, certainly on the Wick side.
If I go up stairs and hold the ipad in the air it will just about get a 3 signal, but as soon I bring it down to use it the signal goes.

purplelady
17-Aug-11, 10:55
I am in Wick and have 3 network I have a good signal on mine have been on it for 3 yrs yes like all networks up here you get some places it does not work but all in all it is pretty good and i get a good 3g signal , to be honest i wud not change networks am more than happy with 3 xxxx

EDDIE
17-Aug-11, 11:39
I got a 3 micro sim for mobile broadband usage. Specifically for use away from home as they offer the best deal and I know they don't cover up here. As above, the coverage up here is bobbins at best, certainly on the Wick side.
If I go up stairs and hold the ipad in the air it will just about get a 3 signal, but as soon I bring it down to use it the signal goes.
If ure tied into 3 with ure ipad and u only get a signal upstairs you can get unlocked mifi router.
A mifi router is mobile 3g router so u can create ure own wifi spot and they usually have a 4 hr battery life before it needs charging and if u get an unlocked one you can put any sim in it u can get them of ebay there prity good u can connect up to 5 devices to them and then all u have to do is set you mifi were the reception is good and then u can sit anywere with the ipad ?
Its a bit of a con having to pay for internet connection for each bit of tech u have got the 3 g mobile router u only pay once and if u get an unlocked one ure not tied to anyone most 3g portable router fit in ure pocket and have good battery life

thirsaloon
17-Aug-11, 11:54
I'm with 3 and have been for awhile. I seem to have very few problems with getting a signal if its for texting or calling, often in places where other networks didnt work 3 does for me and the same during bad weather. I dont get the full range of services though on the network, so for internet and stuff I never use it to be honest.

pottheed
17-Aug-11, 11:55
go with giffgaff, you get unlimited internet with them :)

Phill
17-Aug-11, 12:32
If ure tied into 3 with ure ipad and u only get a signal upstairs you can get unlocked mifi router.
A mifi router is mobile 3g router so u can create ure own wifi spot and they usually have a 4 hr battery life before it needs charging and if u get an unlocked one you can put any sim in it u can get them of ebay there prity good u can connect up to 5 devices to them and then all u have to do is set you mifi were the reception is good and then u can sit anywere with the ipad ?
Its a bit of a con having to pay for internet connection for each bit of tech u have got the 3 g mobile router u only pay once and if u get an unlocked one ure not tied to anyone most 3g portable router fit in ure pocket and have good battery lifeCheers for the info. I only use mobile BB when I'm away from home, the 3 coverage darn sarf seems to be fine.

purplelady
17-Aug-11, 17:51
I agree i was getting a signal in the back weather when others were'nt and if you do not need mobile broadband on here then go for it my b/f has a 3 mobile dongle and and has no probs with it he lives in edin x

johndy
17-Aug-11, 18:03
I have a phone with 3 the only place in Caithness I have a problem getting a signal is in Castletown, I travel a lot with work and never have any problems.

rhian
17-Aug-11, 22:55
We have three mobiles on the 3 network here in Tongue, they all work well. There are blackspots as we travel about but nothing to bother us too much. Thurso is a great reception area.