PDA

View Full Version : Computer problems.. can u help

linzy222
14-Nov-04, 15:58
Hi i am have major problems with my computer

When i try and look on a website an error msg comes up saying

"Internet explorer cannot open the internet site XXXXXXXXXX (web address)

Operation aborted

It is driving me mad

Can any1 help me please

I only got on here with trying it and trying it loads and loads of times and clicking on the msg board right quick

:( :( :( :(

Greenrunner
14-Nov-04, 16:25
Have sent you e-mail with Microsoft info re this. First try clearing all your temp internet files.

gravedigga
14-Nov-04, 16:41
Check out this article, if you can get on to the page. It has some solutions you could try :) But try deleting your temp internet files first - hope this helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q175722/

linzy222
14-Nov-04, 16:42
Hi thanx but i can't get in2 my emails could u pm me please

gravedigga
14-Nov-04, 16:52
Also found this page http://www.siteexperts.com/forums/viewConverse.asp?d_id=14086 where someone was having the same prob

One of the replies was go to www.spywareinfo.com/articles/cws/ then go down to Removal Instructions - click CWShredder - save it then run it and they reckon that should clear your prob :)

linzy222
14-Nov-04, 17:08
Thanx for that gravedigga it seems to have worked

Cheers

Linzy

codex
15-Nov-04, 01:13
Hi linzy...ive had these problems before...but when using Internet Explorer only...now i use Mozilla Firefox 0.9.3..Which is far more secure than IE.
I downloaded and installed Mozilla (Firefox) an also replaced Outlook with (Thunderbird)

These are the best Downloads of the century

linzy222
15-Nov-04, 07:59
Hi doing that just now

Thanx

Will i delete internet explorer now?

Colin Manson
15-Nov-04, 10:49
That would be a bad idea even if it was possible, there are some sites that you still need IE for. Windows Update is one of them.

Also Firefox 0.93 is pretty old now, just make sure that you've got Version 1.0

Cheers
Colin

linzy222
15-Nov-04, 11:28
Cheers Colin I'm no use with computer!!

daveyc
18-Nov-04, 14:31
I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for a while nopw and it is AMAZING!! the only thing IE was good for was popups - Firefox has an in-built pop-up stopper with the ability to allow for sites that are ok etc - It is also faster that IE becasue it is open-source which, i believe (colin will probabley correct me!! LOL), means that it loads all the information first and then loads in the pictures etc. This might be called something different. I would never go back to IE. But it is true you still need IE for a few things even though i have removed it from my Windows Components it still pops up when it is needed. Thunderbird is also a great Email Client and they are both skinable which appeals to the younger generation ii suppose.

DrSzin
18-Nov-04, 21:11
I've been using Firefox and Thunderbird for a while nopw and it is AMAZING!! the only thing IE was good for was popups - Firefox has an in-built pop-up stopper with the ability to allow for sites that are ok etc - It is also faster that IE becasue it is open-source which, i believe (colin will probabley correct me!! LOL), means that it loads all the information first and then loads in the pictures etc. .
'Open source' means that the source code is freely available. It has nothing to do with how the browser loads information.

I have just downloaded Firefox 1.0 (Linux version) and am quite happy thus far. Firefox seems to have all the features of the 'traditional Mozillas', and I didn't have the fonts problem I often get when upgrading or installing Mozilla. It has the same neat tabbed-browsing features of Mozilla 1.x and Netscape 7. Default keyboard shortcuts are Windows/IE style rather than traditional Mozilla/Emacs style, but a quick Google and desktop-preference edit cured that particular problem in two minutes.

There are lots of themes/skins as you might expect from Mozilla. I'm using some weird blue thing called curacao right now, but I'm not sure if I can stand this much blue for very long.

Best of all, Firefox starts a separate Acroread window each time I download a pdf file. I never could figure out how to do that with IE or Mozilla 1.4 and later. I think I might stick with Firefox for that feature alone. :D

codex
20-Nov-04, 18:26
That would be a bad idea even if it was possible, there are some sites that you still need IE for. Windows Update is one of them.

Colin

Firefox is never old and firefox has the extensions an configurations needed in order to view certain sites.. an not forgetting to run windows update..

codex
22-Nov-04, 16:01
Infact i apolgise.. colin. windows update is integral to internet explorer..an vice versa...i made a mistake somewhere along the lines