PDA

View Full Version : Kids and TV

kas
01-Oct-06, 18:30
I have not until now realised how much of a impact TV has on kids life.

Due to house alterations we had to remove sky TV and our main TV is also out of action. My son would always be out playing if there was other kids out, but that isnt always the way. So normally would turn on the sky if he was at home.
Now he cant do that.

Instead he has read more, made model boats and cars, played with Lego, Knex and all those other toys lying unused in the toybox, played board games and cards. He is also more willing to help round the house and doesnt complain when we have to go out.

To me the difference is unbelievable, it seems so much healthier to be doing these other things rather than sitting in a trance in front of the TV.

He still has 4 channels on his bedroom TV, but has only switched that on for footie matches and the odd game on his PS2.

pultneytooner
01-Oct-06, 19:01
Tv has become the bane of every parents life, I am old enough to remember when the average family couldn't afford the latest games consoles, blah, blah, blah and kids seemed to be out more playing football and obviously were fitter and healthier.
Now we seem to be breeding a race of pasty faced stay at home and beat the next level of the latest game on playstation.

connieb19
01-Oct-06, 19:04
Tv has become the bane of every parents life, I am old enough to remember when the average family couldn't afford the latest games consoles, blah, blah, blah and kids seemed to be out more playing football and obviously were fitter and healthier.
Now we seem to be breeding a race of pasty faced stay at home and beat the next level of the latest game on playstation.
LOL, pultneytooner, what level you on now?

Piglet
01-Oct-06, 19:05
I restrict tv & computer - it is a privilage.
But more often than not when the weather is bad they complain cos they cant go out to play so resort to playing shops & teachers rather than playing on computers iam quite glad that they are this way rather than stuck to the tv & comp 24/7.

chaz
01-Oct-06, 19:07
Mine are really good in the summer and always outside:) But as the weather changes they rotate between the tv and the pc! Funny how the tv and pc break down accidently(when i remove the fuses) Then its amazing what other things they find to do, tidying rooms, reading,games ect.
I only do it occasionly when i feel they are becoming totaly lazy

pultneytooner
01-Oct-06, 19:08
LOL, pultneytooner, what level you on now?
A aint sayin' nuffin' withoot ma lawyer present.:D

Piglet
01-Oct-06, 19:10
Mine are really good in the summer and always outside:) But as the weather changes they rotate between the tv and the pc! Funny how the tv and pc break down accidently(when i remove the fuses) Then its amazing what other things they find to do, tidying rooms, reading,games ect.
I only do it occasionly when i feel they are becoming totaly lazy

I know what you mean chaz it just keeps them on there toes for a while. [lol]

obiron
01-Oct-06, 19:25
wondering what our pair will be like cos the telly and computer will be off till we finish painting the living room. thou must admit they did watch lot of telly and play computer a lot were finding that lately there outside a lot.

mccaugm
01-Oct-06, 19:42
[evil]
I restrict tv & computer - it is a privilage.
But more often than not when the weather is bad they complain cos they cant go out to play so resort to playing shops & teachers rather than playing on computers iam quite glad that they are this way rather than stuck to the tv & comp 24/7.

I try to do the same with my boys, not easy. Also if they do watch T.V they are not allowed to watch almost all of the rubbishy American kids T.V. Its mind numbing.

changilass
01-Oct-06, 19:51
Why is it that kids don't go out to play in the winter anymore. A bit of rain never hurt us when we were kids - might have caused mum a few more loads of washing a week though:lol:

Playing out in the snow was the best fun, placky bags between shoes and socks and on hands under gloves, ahhh those were the days:lol:

golach
01-Oct-06, 19:57
The days of the late 50's and early 60's were the worst days in the UK, coz thats when nearly every house paid to get that box put in the corner of the livingroom, and it has just got worse as we have come into the 21st Century, more and more channels to watch. And IMO the quality of broadcasting and transmission is rubbish. I have to say though because of the dreaded box, we can see what is happening nearly throughout the Universe, if not throught the world. How else could the Orgers be so know so much, apart from what we learn on the boards, all the up to date news, from the corners of Princes Street in Thursa till the back streets of Castletoon so quickly.....Yawn!!!

Piglet
01-Oct-06, 19:57
Why is it that kids don't go out to play in the winter anymore. A bit of rain never hurt us when we were kids - might have caused mum a few more loads of washing a week though

Playing out in the snow was the best fun, placky bags between shoes and socks and on hands under gloves, ahhh those were the days:lol:

Mine would love to play in that if they got half the change it other kids mothers that say ah you should go home it raining. Im with you a bit of rain or snow never hurts. As you say just an extra load o washing & a bit more peace. :lol:

mccaugm
02-Oct-06, 16:15
Mine would love to play in that if they got half the change it other kids mothers that say ah you should go home it raining. Im with you a bit of rain or snow never hurts. As you say just an extra load o washing & a bit more peace. :lol:

My son of 12 came home soaked to the skin yesterday....he would stay out in all weathers given half the chance.
My eldest is a little more reticent, he would rather stay in front of his computer.
My youngest is 2 and has to be dragged inside however bad the weather is. I found him sitting in his Little Tykes car earlier, soaked through his trousers and totally unperturbed. He also jumped in a tiny puddle and giggled his head off, knowing full well his jeans were already damp.