PDA

View Full Version : He's back!

porshiepoo
08-Aug-11, 10:14
Just an update on Tommy. I'm glad to say that we have managed to catch him and he is now back home with his mate. :grin: He's knackered, bedraggled and a tad freaked but he'll be fine.

6 weeks of living it large have finally come to an end for him. OH has tried in vain over the last few weeks to catch him using various methods - some of which wouldn't have looked out of place on a Monty Python sketch and some of which would probably have earned us a fair bit of money on You've been framed had we filmed it.
He's stalked him, tried to net him, climbed trees, baited him and even set a trap (which the bird had more sense than to go anywhere near). Tommy had the sense of mind to stay in the highest tress possible set in the boggiest ground possible which meant every attempt at catching him resulted in being so mud covered we would have been at home on a military camouflage training camp!
In the end I came up with the rather unorthodox idea of chasing him! Chasing him until he was too tired to fly! This obviously had its downsides as we couldn't guarantee where he would fly to and we have cliffs to one side and the main A99 to the other side, however Tommy had been out too long and we knew he was getting hungry. Plus after last nights deluge we knew he'd be sopping wet and this would hopefully hinder his flight.
So there you have it. 6 or 7 of us chasing an Eagle Owl over the fields with a rather large fishing net! He took a couple of gallant flights, rested on the house roof and then landed in a field. So myself and my daughters charged that field like the cavalry and though Tommy tried a couple more gallant efforts he was no match for my daughters and their 'go wide' strategy. Caught!

Thank you to all those of you who have contacted us with regards to Tommy and kept their eyes alert.
Thank you also to Kune for the pms and offer of help and all the ideas to help catch him. Much appreciated.

NickInTheNorth
08-Aug-11, 10:26
Brilliant news!

Well done to all.

bod1403
08-Aug-11, 11:27
That's excellant! Well done the cavalry!

binnes
08-Aug-11, 13:09
Well done!!

Liz
08-Aug-11, 13:39
What great news!!!!!!! Well done to you all for catching him. :)

porshiepoo
08-Aug-11, 15:33
Thanks guys.
Have to thank the neighbours (George & his wife) as they have done a fabulous job of keeping an eye out for him and have been brilliant at letting us onto their land at all times of the night and day to try to catch him. Bless them they were so happy we had got him back despite knowing it means the Rooks will no doubt be back in their droves now. lol.

Have to say the main catch was by both my daughters - one with a large net and the other with a rugby tackle effect. I wasn't too far behind but I had stopped to do the mummy thing and help them both over fences and then ate their mud as they disappeared off down the field. lol. Like 2 little sheepdogs they were, one went wide left, the other went wide right and me straight up the middle (Hubby was sprinting back from chasing him away from the road and Tom was getting caught up on barbed wire ripping his best jeans lmao).
Anyway Tommy had hunkered down hoping to blend into the cow dung but we'd sussed him and were on him like Velociraptors. He looked a bit shocked but I can't say as I blame him.
Still all's well that ends well and this could have ended so much worse for Tommy!

mop top
08-Aug-11, 17:24
Great news delighted to hear he is home safely

BO-PEEP
08-Aug-11, 19:27
Such good news

nightowl
08-Aug-11, 22:35
Really glad for you all. It must have been a trying time. Wonder if he'll settle after his big adventure or will he always be on the lookout for the first chance to escape again. Then again maybe not once he's sampled home comforts again. You'll all sleep well tonight.

Moira
09-Aug-11, 00:28
That's really great news Porshiepoo! Relief all round.

You're another one on Caithness Org who should write a book. From your description of Tommy's "capture" no video footage was required. I could picture it all happening. :D Well done, great result.

Jovi
10-Aug-11, 13:12
That's great news,glad he's home and safe :D

Robinwood
24-Aug-11, 06:08
Seriously you got a fighting bird in your pockets, i felt little funny reading at your post but atlast you have accomplished your battle ! and may be you should upload some pictures of it here and i really want to have a look at him !