PDA

View Full Version : What was yer Favourite Childhood game?

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Oct-06, 00:45
Mine was Ker Plunk......ootside boardgames it was Kiss,Cuddle and Torture.Any others?:lol: :lol:

Billy Boy
01-Oct-06, 00:58
lol a loved buckaroo:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
01-Oct-06, 01:00
lol a loved buckaroo:lol:

A true classic Buckaroo was!!!!:lol:

changilass
01-Oct-06, 01:05
Mine was mouse trap

WeeBurd
01-Oct-06, 09:26
Operation... buzzzzzz! [lol]

Cattach
01-Oct-06, 09:51
Operation... buzzzzzz! [lol]

You must all be very young! I used to like to get outside and play cowboys and indians. I did also like the old blow football.

dragonfly
01-Oct-06, 10:38
Kerby!! spent many happy hours outside on the streets playing kerby with ma mates!

live in the same street as I grew up in (sad I know) but the kerbs have all disappeared through years of being re-tarmaced - maybe just as well as the speed that cars drive round the estates now, kids would have no chance!

Mister Squiggle
01-Oct-06, 10:59
Ahh, youth, when the days seemed longer, it was always summer and the streets were empty of cars ... seriously, I can remember us having endless bike races from the top of our (very steep) street down to the corner, with nary a thought that someone might be driving around the corner as we came hurtling down.
I think we did races most nights after school in good weather, and if you were absolutely brave, you'd sit on a friend's handlebars. The person on the bike had no chance of seeing what was coming the other way.
We also tried sitting on skateboards and being towed down and then flung off at the corner. No wonder my knees are so scarred.
The idea of my kids doing this now makes me feel slightly sick! Talk about the folly of youth.

fender
01-Oct-06, 11:51
Happy days.
Kick the 'cannie' and 20 a side, 2 hours each half, jersey goalposts, next goal the winner, 3 corners for a penalty FOOTBALL.

Cattach
01-Oct-06, 12:37
Kerby!! spent many happy hours outside on the streets playing kerby with ma mates!

live in the same street as I grew up in (sad I know) but the kerbs have all disappeared through years of being re-tarmaced - maybe just as well as the speed that cars drive round the estates now, kids would have no chance!

Thanks for reminding me! Standing on the corner collecting car numbers seeing who could get the most. Just waiting for a car to appear. Certainly changed days.

squidge
01-Oct-06, 13:41
Elastics - with friends, around two dining chairs or even simply using the lines on my parents stripey carpet!

Roller skating - those that fitted over the shoes, going to the park and climbing trees, Playing at being the Railway children!!! - I know i know was my favourite book for years.

Sneaking off down Sammy lane or going off to the Top O'the Heys where there was a ruined cottage and a rope swing.

Fantastic

coastown
01-Oct-06, 14:33
chinese ropes (elastic bands}
and loved playing peevers.

Buttercup
01-Oct-06, 15:12
Can't remember having board games apart from Snakes & ladders and Ludo. But to play them you had to stay inside and if you were inside your mam would soon find you something useful to do like dishes or tiding your bedroom etc :( , so you soon learnt to go out no matter what the weather was like. Loved skipping, we tied one end of the rope round a lampost and played across the road, taking it in turns to be the one holding the rope.

Ricco
01-Oct-06, 15:15
Marbles, cowboys & indians, and kiss-catch at Miller Academy. ;)

cuddlepop
01-Oct-06, 15:16
Use to love playing chuckies;which was another name for five stains.
Loved collecting unusal stones from the beach to play the game.:D

golach
01-Oct-06, 15:17
Postmans Knock :Razz

Bobinovich
01-Oct-06, 15:22
Remember marbles in the playground of Castletown Primary as one of my favourite ways to wile away the time. Came up against someone with a 2" ball bearing once and we agreed my china bull would need to hit it 50 times for me to win it. My poor old china took a battering but I won that bearing! :D

Oh happy days!!!

sharon
01-Oct-06, 15:27
one player game, cant mind what it was called! used a tenis ball and threw it on against the wall saying a rhyme and doing movements without dropping it......
and when there was a huge group of us the favourite was kerby and Kiss, Cuddle & Torture, we were never inside come rain or shine.

not like the kids today stuck in font of computers and playstations ect all day all year round.:lol:

Bobinovich
01-Oct-06, 15:28
not like the kids today stuck in font of computers and playstations ect all day all year round.:lol:

Or the big kids, eh! Sharon...[lol]

percy toboggan
01-Oct-06, 15:35
Japs and English, or Germans and English. Wooden twigs and branches for 'tommy' guns and a lot of space, veritable forests to a ten year old. When the war games paled we'd build bogeys and I was lucky, my Dad worked in an engineers stores and the components on mine were always top hole. Especially the wheels ! Faster by miles. It was relatively easy to talk some younger, unwary kid into pushing me with a brush stale. Until recently I've always had the gift of the gab.

After that 'May I'?' with the girls around the local lamp oost. A succession of commands - if you didnae say 'May I' you were out!! Innocent fun for young uns. I went down the old drive recently - a cul-de-sac - you could hardly move for parked cars, there was only one or two back then.

unicorn
01-Oct-06, 15:54
ricco I think I must have been in school with you

Marbles, cowboys & indians, and kiss-catch at Miller Academy. ;)

WeeBurd
01-Oct-06, 16:23
ricco I think I must have been in school with you

:eek: I was thinking the same thing!

Buttercup
01-Oct-06, 17:48
[quote=percy toboggan;141098]Japs and English, or Germans and English. Wooden twigs and branches for 'tommy' guns and a lot of space, veritable forests to a ten year old. When the war games paled we'd build bogeys and I was lucky, my Dad worked in an engineers stores and the components on mine were always top hole. Especially the wheels ! Faster by miles. It was relatively easy to talk some younger, unwary kid into pushing me with a brush stale. Until recently I've always had the gift of the gab.

After that 'May I'?' with the girls around the local lamp oost. A succession of commands - if you didnae say 'May I' you were out!! Innocent fun for young uns. I went down the old drive recently - a cul-de-sac - you could hardly move for parked cars, there was only one or two back then.[/quote
My you were posh Percy! It was always British & Gerries we called it. [lol]

ice box
01-Oct-06, 18:52
Mines would have to been man haunt round the school on dark nights

connieb19
01-Oct-06, 19:01
Mines would have to been man haunt round the school on dark nightsNever knew you was that way inclined icebox lol. :eek:

Piglet
01-Oct-06, 19:19
My favs were skipping ( yeh tied to lamp post if not enough troops) , hide n seek kerby & connect4 or battleships if bad weather. :)

obiron
01-Oct-06, 19:21
my fave games were skipping, juggling wi 2 balls against a wall(cant mind what i called it thou) and football. also loved playing wi ma rollerboots.

girnigoe
01-Oct-06, 20:12
[QUOTE=sharon;141095, cant mind what it was called! used a tenis ball and threw it on against the wall saying a rhyme and doing movements without dropping it...... [/QUOTE]

Was it called Sevensy?

Whitewater
01-Oct-06, 21:46
Dustmans Knock (same as postmans knock but dirtier)

peedie
02-Oct-06, 11:44
pirates! a game started in gym at school. you were given various obstacles such as benchs hoops etc you had to run only on these if u touched the floor you drowned and were out, also you could be caught. if you were caught u became a pirate and had to catch others, magic game was kept for specail occasions like end of term, but now i'm told its banned in schools :~(

angela5
02-Oct-06, 11:49
pirates! a game started in gym at school. you were given various obstacles such as benchs hoops etc you had to run only on these if u touched the floor you drowned and were out, also you could be caught. if you were caught u became a pirate and had to catch others, magic game was kept for specail occasions like end of term, but now i'm told its banned in schools :~(

Aye i remember that now, i loved that game. Why's it banned in school?

peedie
02-Oct-06, 11:54
i'm not sure why it was my little sister that told me because they hadnt been allowed to play it for ages i think it got banned after a change of pe teacher. so whether it applies to every school i'm not sure (sorry should have made that clearer)[disgust]

angela5
02-Oct-06, 11:57
i'm not sure why it was my little sister that told me because they hadnt been allowed to play it for ages i think it got banned after a change of pe teacher. so whether it applies to every school i'm not sure (sorry should have made that clearer)[disgust]

Shame, that was a great fun. I remember when 3 of us forgot our pe kit one day, we were told we still had to take part, in our underpants.:eek:

peedie
02-Oct-06, 11:59
i'm sure just about everyone had to endure that, tho i'm sure that wont be allowed in schools anymore either! but u never forgot your kit twice! :Razz esp if you got a cold day!!!

angela5
02-Oct-06, 12:01
i'm sure just about everyone had to endure that, tho i'm sure that wont be allowed in schools anymore either! but u never forgot your kit twice! :Razz esp if you got a cold day!!!

Ach, i forgot my kit all eh time.:lol:

Tugmistress
02-Oct-06, 12:02
i remember playing jacks a lot, also that ball game of throwing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it etc ... great fun. also in summer there used to be loads of us playing leap frog up and down the street, or tag rugby, or hide and seek, we were out until it got dark in all weathers :D

veekay
02-Oct-06, 13:29
I used to love two ball had loads of rhymes to go with it, Come to think of it I still like to play - but thats another story

molly
02-Oct-06, 14:18
Sometimes in the summer we'd play a game which involved a pen knife or usually a cutlery knife if you could sneek one out of the house without mam seeing. Don't tell your kids about it! You had to throw the knife then spread your legs the width of where the knife stuck...and the person who could still get the knife without falling down and was able to spread their legs out the farthest...won. The other one i remember is chinese skipping. Two favourites which i remember very well.
I feel old as i remember the old games

moose and Lindsay
02-Oct-06, 14:33
i remember playing jacks a lot, also that ball game of throwing a tennis ball against the wall and catching it etc ... great fun :D

I loved playing jacks aswell and i also remember nicking my mums tights and cutting the legs off,(sorry mum ;) ) then u would put a tennis ball in and stand at wall hitting the wall side to side,over your shoulders and under your legs with this tights leg and ball.....there was a rhyme u said aswell i think........can't mind the name of this game!!!!

Lindsay

tip top
02-Oct-06, 15:38
Table football with a 2p coin.
Ping it across the table so it was hanging over the edge, flick it up and catch between your thumbs and then score by sending through your opponents goal posts (made with thumbs and index finger).

MGB1979
02-Oct-06, 16:10
We used to spend our Saturdays looking for discarded skin mags at the Academy Braes. I think I'm now supposed to leave mine there for the next generation. :confused

lil_kim
02-Oct-06, 18:15
it would have to be Twister! still a favourite game after a few drams!

willowbankbear
02-Oct-06, 19:35
Subbuteo was my favourite, liked Operation & liked playing a lot of my daughters games when she visited.

Outside games , I liked were k c&torture Hide & Seek or rounders in the summer

the charlatans
02-Oct-06, 19:47
Good Thread Cedric.

Willowbankbears other favourite childhood game was winding up his sister by letting his action man having his wicked wicked way with my Barbies and Sindy's................. :D

I liked Downfall, Operation (when Willowbankbear wasn't cheating) and Barbies and Sindy's - when the Action men were not on shore leave.

willowbankbear
02-Oct-06, 19:52
My Action men were very virile young soldiers, Barbie was willing too;)

Tristan
02-Oct-06, 21:24

FAR TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!![smirk]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Oct-06, 14:42
Good Thread Cedric.

Willowbankbears other favourite childhood game was winding up his sister by letting his action man having his wicked wicked way with my Barbies and Sindy's................. :D

I liked Downfall, Operation (when Willowbankbear wasn't cheating) and Barbies and Sindy's - when the Action men were not on shore leave.

LMAO....:lol:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
03-Oct-06, 14:46

Same as mine WBB...although one of my Action men lost a leg trying to be too experimental:lol:

Sporran
05-Oct-06, 05:55
Two of my favourite childhood games were Hide and Seek and Hop Scotch. I wasn't very good at Chinese Skipping - I'd usually get tangled up in the ropes, lol!

As for board games, I liked Ludo, Tiddly Winks, Snakes and Ladders, and Draughts.

Canuck will get a kick out of this one - The Minister's Cat. You'd have to pick a word to describe the minister's cat. The more people playing the better.The first person had to choose a word beginning with the letter "a", then everyone else in the group had to do the same. Back to the first person again with the letter "b", and so on through the alphabet. For example "The minister's cat is an active cat" followed by "The minister's cat is a black cat". If you couldn't think of a word with the appropriate letter when it was your turn, you were out of the game.