PDA

View Full Version : A bit of a cheek..........to say the least.

poppett
06-Aug-11, 17:40
I regularly use the website "say no to 0870" which finds alternative landline or 0800 numbers for companies who charge you megabucks to talk to them.

Recently on a phone bill which should have had no chargeable calls on it I found I had been charged almost 2quid for a call I know I made to an 01 number. During the call I was transferred to another customer service advisor, but was never informed the call was going to cost me anything. I can`t see how this can be right and have written to tell the company this.

Not holding out much hope as the same company recently sent two letters from the same person within a week of one another, one settling a claim satisfactorily, the other saying the employee who made the offer should not have done so, and it was being withdrawn.

Just wanted you to be aware of this. The DWP often transfer calls to departments on chargeable lines but at least they play a recording to tell you that before the call is connected.

tonkatojo
07-Aug-11, 09:18
I regularly use the website "say no to 0870" which finds alternative landline or 0800 numbers for companies who charge you megabucks to talk to them.

Recently on a phone bill which should have had no chargeable calls on it I found I had been charged almost 2quid for a call I know I made to an 01 number. During the call I was transferred to another customer service advisor, but was never informed the call was going to cost me anything. I can`t see how this can be right and have written to tell the company this.

Not holding out much hope as the same company recently sent two letters from the same person within a week of one another, one settling a claim satisfactorily, the other saying the employee who made the offer should not have done so, and it was being withdrawn.

Just wanted you to be aware of this. The DWP often transfer calls to departments on chargeable lines but at least they play a recording to tell you that before the call is connected.

This doesn't sound right at all, who is your phone call provider?. I was under the impression you get charged for dialled calls, perhaps I am wrong. I also use "say no to 0870".

poppett
07-Aug-11, 18:19
I have an all inclusive bundle for landline rental, unlimited broadband, free calls 24/7 to 01, 02 and 03 landlines also to any other Pipex user. 2pence per minute for international calls anytime and discount for mobiles, although I never use that.

Originally Bulldog who was taken over by Pipex, who was taken over by Tiscali, who was taken over by Talk Talk..... the account is in the process of being migrated to Talk Talk so when I phone Pipex customer services in Birmingham on an 01 landline they are transferring me to TT`s 0870 number but not telling. I only found out because there should never be any chargeable calls on the phone bill.

tonkatojo
07-Aug-11, 18:49
I also are with Talk Talk, I will certainly watch my bill, but I actually pay an extra £4 odd for all inclusive any time calls.

poppett
07-Aug-11, 19:01
Am giving serious consideration to changing ISP. Because of previous billing problems with BT helping themselves to however much money they wanted whenever they wanted for thirteen months.....it won`t be them.

Am looking at Plusnet. Does anyone else use them.?

They seem to tick all the boxes, based in Yorkshire and have the package I want with the bonus of 0870 numbers included, but could do with some actual feedback from some real customers before I leap ship.

Kodiak
08-Aug-11, 19:25
My Son uses PlusNet as his ISP and he is forever trying to get me change over to it. He thinks they are the best and he says that since he has been with them, just over 2 years now, he has never had any down time and they are very fast.

I am really thinking of changing over to PlusNet as I am getting really fed up with the Orange ISP that I am with. Anything would be better then them.

So no matter who you go with forget Orange as they have really gone from Bad to worse the past 6 months.

orkneycadian
08-Aug-11, 20:19
This may be useful....

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isp/compare.html?isp_7=1&isp_13=1&isp_77=1&isp_6=1&commit=Compare

Metalattakk
09-Aug-11, 03:21
Am looking at Plusnet. Does anyone else use them.?

Guess who owns Plusnet?

Aye, British Telecom. ;)

Edit: Oh, and keep in mind that if you're keen to change ISP, the Thurso exchange (and Wick too, I would presume) has been earmarked for 21CN upgrade (20+Mbps download speeds) starting in March next year, supposedly.

Tying yourself now to an 18 month or 24 month contract will be a pain to get out of if that comes to fruition.

poppett
09-Aug-11, 15:45
Have just found out today that if I leave before May 2012 I will have to pay almost £100 to the existing company for compensation, so can`t afford not to stay put.

I knew Plusnet had been bought by BT but they have left it running their own way as their customer service etc.,, is excellent. At least they speak English.

The trouble with Indian call centres is that they are so busy talking at you they forget to listen..........or is it they don`t listen because they don`t understand?