PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Telford's Watercourse (Mill Lade

Kevin Milkins
06-Aug-11, 07:58
I have been an admirer of this great man for many years and the things he achieved in a lifetime has to be held in the highest regard.

I have not had a chance to go and have a good look at the Mill Lade close up, but I hope to tomorrow and I would wish to congratulate the people involved in it's refurbishment, well done to all.

I have a question relating to what is posted on the front page regarding it's intended use and what it is used for now, because I am not familiar with the processes of distilling. It states that " The watercourse was constructed in 1807 and completed in 1809 and supplied fresh running water for the town up until recent years. The Distillery now uses the water for the production of Old Pulteney whisky".

Is the water used in the production process, IE, cooling etc, or does it form part of the finished product?

DMFB
06-Aug-11, 08:31
As children we had many years of fun there.

Kodiak
06-Aug-11, 12:50
Is the water used in the production process, IE, cooling etc, or does it form part of the finished product?

Simply put Both. Water is used in all phases of the production of whisky. It is added to the barley to promote germination, it is mixed with ground barley grist to create a mash and it is used to dilute most whisky before maturation and once again before bottling. Since large amounts of water are used during the process of whisky production, water supplies are a key factor for the location of any distillery.

Kevin Milkins
06-Aug-11, 22:06
Simply put Both. Water is used in all phases of the production of whisky. It is added to the barley to promote germination, it is mixed with ground barley grist to create a mash and it is used to dilute most whisky before maturation and once again before bottling. Since large amounts of water are used during the process of whisky production, water supplies are a key factor for the location of any distillery.

Thank you Kodiak.

pat
06-Aug-11, 22:47
Kevin
You should contact the distillery and go on one of their tours when they run them - well worth a visit

golach
06-Aug-11, 22:50
It is added to the barley to promote germination, it is mixed with ground barley grist to create a mash and it is used to dilute most whisky before maturation and once again before bottling. Since large amounts of water are used during the process of whisky production, water supplies are a key factor for the location of any distillery.
Sorry Kodiak no whisky distillery I have ever worked at and I have worked as a Customs Man in many, ever diluted the spirit before maturation. The spirit comes straight from the Still then into various sized barrels be they Butts, Hogsheads or Barrels.
When the Spirit leaves the Still it it not whisky, but British grain spirit and cannot be called Scotch Whisky until it has remained in a wooden vessel for more that 3 years and a day, only then is it refered to as Scotch Whisky.
On reaching the age that the bottlers want, only then is it removed from the "wooden vessels" and into reduction Vats, to be reduced to the particular drinking strenght required. Then the whisky is coloured, chilled, filtered, then bottled, then I get to drink it.

secrets in symmetry
06-Aug-11, 23:08
Golach, I wouldn't bother getting too upset at Kodiak's post.

Look at this link: WikiWhiskyWater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch#Water)

Kodiak's post is merely an edit of the text on that Wikipedia page.

In response to Kevin's question...

The lade looks empty in the photos on the front page. It is also stated that it was full of rubbish. How can Old Pulteney make their product with water from the lade?

greener
06-Aug-11, 23:51
Golach, I wouldn't bother getting too upset at Kodiak's post.

Look at this link: WikiWhiskyWater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch#Water)

Kodiak's post is merely an edit of the text on that Wikipedia page.

The lade looks empty in the photos on the front page. It is also stated that it was full of rubbish. How can Old Pulteney make their product with water from the lade?

As Far as I am aware no lade water was ever used to make the whisky, only used for the cooling process.

trinkie
07-Aug-11, 07:51
I too am a great admirer of Telford – but never knew this was one of his projects. Is this not The Burnie we played at many years ago ? I remember hours and hours of fun sitting washing the stonies and playing in the burn. I'm sure it was fed into the distillery, but for what purpose I have no idea. Thank you for the pictures and well done to all taking part in the cleaning up. Trinkie

Kevin Milkins
07-Aug-11, 10:11

As Far as I am aware no lade water was ever used to make the whisky, only used for the cooling process.

Thank you both for your replies, that is much more reassuring.