PDA

View Full Version : Pupils, teachers praised for highers results

Nwicker60
04-Aug-11, 17:07
Thurso's Charlotte reflect strong highers passes

HIGHLAND school pupils have again performed well in SQA results and none more so that Thurso High School pupil, Charlotte Gordon.
She had something else to celebrate, a month after her 16th birthday, gaining five A passes (four at the top band)
In all, 322 candidates passed 5 Highers, 47 of them with five straight A passes. Some, such as Elliot Tilling at Ardnamurchan High School, gained five A passes all at the top banding.
Overall, Higher results at all key indicators are marginally up on last year, maintaining the strong overall performance of recent years.
Retiring head teacher at Fortrose Academy, Douglas Simpson, reported that *51% of fifth year candidates passed three or more Highers, a figure almost twice the Highland average. ‘It’s a tremendous set of results,’ he said. ‘I’m absolutely delighted for them.’
His fellow retiree, Dingwall Academy rector Graham MacKenzie, was similarly happy. “I’m very pleased with the results. In fifth year, 29 pupils passed 5 Highers, 8 of them with straight As. It’s a good way to finish.”
Results for S4 candidates in Highland were equally strong with 81% achieving five passes at general or better and 37% achieving five passes at credit or equivalent.
In S6 many candidates added to their successes in the previous two years and 474 went on to success at Advanced Higher. At Glenurquhart High School *37% of candidates – more than double the Highland average - passed at least one Advanced Higher.
Councillor Bill Fernie, Education Culture and Sport Committee Chairman, added: “The results in Highland have been consistently strong for a number of years and that is very pleasing. I congratulate the candidates, their teachers and all the parents and carers who support young people in through their exam years. It is immensely satisfying to see such rewards for their hard work.”
Hugh Fraser, Director of Education, Culture and Sport, said: “These are impressive results with a significant number of fine individual performances at all levels. It is a testimony to the hard work and commitment of pupils and staff across Highland schools. I congratulate them all.” Script</p>