PDA

View Full Version : Weezers Dangerous Idea

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 16:33
I thought it better to start a different thread to argue about the rights and wrongs of religion.I cant imagine a world without it because theres no doubt individual human beings have a deeper more secret world which is often bulletproof until something comes along and opens a door in their minds. I dont know what it is that happens when people walk out of the mist but something seems to happen. Its not always religion but religions purpose is to act as a key to open that door.
Weezers dangerous idea would keep the door firmly closed or is weezer saying there's no door to open?

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 16:39
Johnny spare me your nonsense mate!

Look we have debated religion to death. Its over, its nonsense, just about everyone know it is, but thats not the point. I asked why they believe in god. I genuinly, honestly, want to know what drives people to believe in such guff.

The argument is quite simple against religion though if thast what you want

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 16:44
Are you saying human beings dont have a spiritual side? I'll use the word spiritual just to describe the phenomenon because I dont know whether its a universal thing or not. I do know that most people who are prepared to talk about deeper aspects of human nature will enter into a different kind of dialogue than would normally be held.

rob1
04-Aug-11, 16:51
Yes its been done to death, lets give it a break. We would be better picking on those the believe in phycics, homoephathy and magic crystals. No wait we've done that before as well.

StarscreamsRise
04-Aug-11, 16:54
So if its all over how about the millions upon millions of catholics, christians, bhuddists, hindus that are walking about this planet. If not more. They would disagree, religion is not going anywhere weezer, its staying put just accept it. Ive had to accept science is staying around, yet im not sitting here complaining about it.

ducati
04-Aug-11, 16:56
Yes its been done to death, lets give it a break. We would be better picking on those the believe in phycics, homoephathy and magic crystals. No wait we've done that before as well.

Or ones that can spell any of those :lol:

ducati
04-Aug-11, 16:58
Are you saying human beings dont have a spiritual side? I'll use the word spiritual just to describe the phenomenon because I dont know whether its a universal thing or not. I do know that most people who are prepared to talk about deeper aspects of human nature will enter into a different kind of dialogue than would normally be held.

Yep. Old Poultney does that to me too!

Gleber2
04-Aug-11, 17:00
Johnny spare me your nonsense mate!

Hope the 'Johnny' doesn't mean that you are confusing your Glebers.

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 17:03
Why would you think Weezer could be stupid enough to confuse a Gleber with a Gleeber?

Gleber2
04-Aug-11, 17:10
Why would you think Weezer could be stupid enough to confuse a Gleber with a Gleeber?
You is a Jim I a Johnny(sic)

NickInTheNorth
04-Aug-11, 17:27
I think that the most dangerous idea is religion.

Why do people think religion is such a good idea when three of the largest faiths in the world, Christianity, Islam, Judaism all believe in thesame god, all accept that Jesus, Abraham, Mohamed existed and were prophets, and yet have for centuries insisted on killing each other.

I don't know if there is a "supreme being" I do know that some things in the universe almost defy explanation without some outside interference.

I do not believe in a religious god in any way shape or form, and just wish that his adherents would stop killing each other in His name; nothing in any of the religious texts relied upon by the religious fanatics allows killing of other faiths.

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 17:46

No, im not saying people dont have spiritual sides, clearly if you read whats written. Obviously some do. I am saying belief in a god that created the universse etc etc is delusional and in the context of earthly religions, dangerous. Not to mention the fact that it promotes ignorance as well as being devisive.

Perhaps you could explain what deeper aspects of human nature are and what religion has to do with it.

And do you believe in the tooth fairy by any chance?

Starscreamsrise

When i say its over I mean the argument. religion lost many moons ago. Religion has nothing to bring to the debate about reality, the nature of existence or any of the other nonsense it claims to have a voice in. its a fairy tale, all of them, and you almost as much an atheist as I am at the end of the day.

What I am asking is why drives people to believe in a god.

Phill
04-Aug-11, 18:17
Not sure which thread I should be posting to now, it's like the big bang threads. Outrageous it is.

For what it's worth I think religion of any flavour is a load of cobblers but many individuals take comfort, solace and guidance from their beliefs. And leave them to it.
We can question why people believe in many things or why they follow certain things. Why is some one a Christian? Most probably because their parents & family are and so they follow. Why do people follow Accrington Stanley? Most probably because their family do.

But, for what it's worth. My dear Gran who celebrated her 100th birthday earlier this year put her longevity down to going to church regularly so there might be something in it. (personally I think it's her cocktails of Sherry and dry Ginger with Holts' 6X chasers that keep her going)

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 18:22
I don't know if there is a "supreme being" I do know that some things in the universe almost defy explanation without some outside interference.

Perhaps you could explain what deeper aspects of human nature are and what religion has to do with it.

And do you believe in the tooth fairy by any chance?

Your no going to believe this weezer but we were so poor when I was a kid that my mother never told me about the tooth fairy. I was about 30 before I knew about her. :lol:
Human natures everything that haapens in our heads. It's not seperate from our physial bodies because thats human nature too but for the sake of this thread human natures about what we think.
We all know the ranges of thoughts we have and lots of them or maybe most of them are lost inside our own heads. They are all wizzing about inside there and sometimes its not easy to keep them filed. religions good at that. it works in combination with human nature. Its as real as the distance to the moon is quarter a million miles.
Like Nick says sometimes its so obvious there must have been a creator. I have no idea
either but weezer knows for sure. Good for him.

NickInTheNorth
04-Aug-11, 18:28
Like Nick says sometimes its so obvious there must have been a creator.

I think what I actually said was:

almost defy explanation without some outside interference

For clarity I would not ever say

its so obvious there must have been a creator

orkneycadian
04-Aug-11, 18:34
But, for what it's worth. My dear Gran who celebrated her 100th birthday earlier this year put her longevity down to going to church regularly so there might be something in it. (personally I think it's her cocktails of Sherry and dry Ginger with Holts' 6X chasers that keep her going)

Hmmm, might have to start going again - Last time I was there, it was just cheap red wine from the supermarket and dry loaf!

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 18:34
I think what I actually said was:

almost defy explanation without some outside interference

For clarity I would not ever say

its so obvious there must have been a creator
Indeed. :roll:

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 18:39
"I don't know if there is a "supreme being" I do know that some things in the universe almost defy explanation"

Just stop there nick, they defy explanation. Alot of things certainly do. Thats not evidence of a god, thats evidence we dont know yet. Alot of work needs to be done, and attribiting it to god is lazy, ignotrant and guarentees that the work never will be done.

gleeber,

Do you believe in the tooth fairy? how old you were when you found out about it is irreelvant. Do you beleive it exists?

Secondly, religion doens nothing of the sort. Thats called having concentration and mental aquity, nothing to do with religion!!

Dare i say it.....in the name of god!

NickInTheNorth
04-Aug-11, 18:42
"I don't know if there is a "supreme being" I do know that some things in the universe almost defy explanation"

Just stop there nick, they defy explanation. Alot of things certainly do. Thats not evidence of a god, thats evidence we dont know yet. Alot of work needs to be done, and attribiting it to god is lazy, ignotrant and guarentees that the work never will be done.

Totally agree

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 18:49
Totally agree
Thats scuppered you Weezer. :lol:

RecQuery
04-Aug-11, 19:29
Lots of things in human history 'defied explanation' or 'had to point to a creator or plan'... until we found perfectly valid and provable scientific explanations.

This thread has been done to death here and over the entire Internet, though I would appreciate some examples of the things people think 'defy explanation' or 'indicate a creator'

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 19:41
Lots of things in human history 'defied explanation' or 'had to point to a creator or plan'... though I would appreciate some examples of the things people think 'defy explanation' or 'indicate a creator'
I suppose one example would be life itself. Its just incredible, beyond imagination almost, but ye dayrna go there.

pig whisperer
04-Aug-11, 19:50
who wrote the bible???? wasnt it men, who told them what to write, an invisable man? all seems a bit airy fairy to me. burning bushes & stuff. very strange, I just find it strange that so many people believe in a work of fiction

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 20:36
I suppose one example would be life itself. Its just incredible, beyond imagination almost, but ye dayrna go there.

Excellent point....which totally defeats itself! If life is almost beyond imagination, then a creator and designer of an entire UNIVERSE, capable of controlling every single up and down quark there is, listening to prayers (no one has even explained why prayers are important to a being of such power) is totally, utterly and irrefutably non-existant. By default a creator is more unlikely than even the most unliekly event in the universe.

I would bet you dont even see the contradiction of your point either.

Now, for the 3rd time, do you believe in the tooth fairy?

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 20:41
I would bet you dont even see the contradiction of your point either

This is getting incredibler and incredibler. What is my point?

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 21:12
You know fine well what your point is, stop backtracking, classic sign you know your busted

Now, would you agree my last point is valid? That is life on this tiny, dingy, lukewarm bit of rock is almost beyond imagination a creator and ruler of the ENTIRE UNIVERSE most definetly is?

And for the 4th time you you believe in the tooth fairy?

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 21:20
You havnt got a clue what my point is. You cant even read whats in front of your eyes because your heads so far up your backside. Now, watch my lips. :lol:
Im not defending a religious position. I dont have a God. I dont believe the bible story. Theres unlikely to be any life after death or just as unlikey to be any kind of God. There could be a creator though. Science can go back till the milli-second after the big bang began. All that way. 14 billion years. can you imagine that weezer? But they canna go back a micro second before the big bang began. I find that fact, because it is a fact, fascinating and it reminds me to be careful when claiming a truth.

cramock
04-Aug-11, 21:30
You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth!!!

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 21:34
You want the truth?

You can't handle the truth!!!
What's that mean?

cramock
04-Aug-11, 21:49
What's that mean?