PDA

View Full Version : The Peoples Bible.

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 13:09
I don't believe the christian story told in the new testement but I would be a liar if I was to say the bible wasnt an important book. Much of it's content has a connection with human nature.
I read about thepeoplesbible.org (http:// www.thepeoplesbible.org) in the courier and had a look at their website. Its a good idea I think to point people towards a book that has personal answers for any belief system because I think most people have a yearning to make sense of something, whatever that may be.
My favourite verse from the bible is as relevant today as when it was written 2000 years ago. St. Luke chapter 23 verse 34. Father forgive them for they know not what they do. Its been speculated over the past 100 years and more that much of the conscious thoughts humans use to get through the day may be fired by more unconscious urges and prejudices which they have no conscious access to unless they are aware of their mechanisms. I believe whoever wrote that in the context of the story and whether he was a God or a man was thousands of years ahead of their time. Modern psychology and in particular individual psychology would vouch for that.
Whats your favourite bible verse and why?

StarscreamsRise
04-Aug-11, 13:44
Well myself as a christian i dont have a favourite bible verse, i have to be honest, ive never read the bible all the way through. ''Forgive them father for they know not what they do'' has to be one of the most influential if not the most important biblical passage as it was the last words Jesus spoke. My personal belief is that someone who reads the bible should find the entire thing as meaningful as every passage contained in its pages. If someone does not believe in what it teaches thats fine, the one thing i would never do though regardless of my religious background would be to burn a bible wich i have seen done many times. I consider it to be the most important book ever written regardless if what it speaks about is the truth or not.

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 14:42
Sorry, I dont want to start an argument, but can you two enlighten me on why you believe in a god, and specifically the abrahmic god? I must confess im flabergasted anyone believes.

What, if anything, compels you to believe?

rob1
04-Aug-11, 15:15
I don't think this thread is about believing in a god, but rather what the bible has done for people. I am an athiast and too find believing in a god rather bizarre, but I have to confess that the bible has shaped out lives and even has good advice even to those that don't believe in god.

golach
If I did believe in the Bible, my favourite verse would be Matthew 5:38 for obvious reasons.

rich
Shortest and Best: JESUS WEPT (John 11 - 35)
Weezer in answer to your question about God - use your imagination, man!
You must have an unusually sunny disposition about the fate of the planet and its inhabitants not to believe in a God - be it malevolent or benign.

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 15:36
Sorry, I dont want to start an argument, but can you two enlighten me on why you believe in a god, and specifically the abrahmic god? I must confess im flabergasted anyone believes.

What, if anything, compels you to believe?
Weezer. For someone who thinks he's so smart your so bliddy stupid.:eek:
I would rather you leave this thread as a safe area for people to talk about their favourite bible verse and why. Not why they may or may not believe in a God.
If you want to start another thread pick up your bed and move on.;)

Saveman
04-Aug-11, 15:47
I have quite a few favourites depending on the situation at the time!

I'll go for this one though:-

Isaiah 48:17,18

17 This is what the LORD says—
your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
“I am the LORD your God,
who teaches you what is best for you,
who directs you in the way you should go.
18 If only you had paid attention to my commands,
your peace would have been like a river,
your well-being like the waves of the sea.

NIV - not my favourite translation but you get the idea.... :)

Loraine
04-Aug-11, 15:58
My favourite verse is also hard to choose but one of the many I consider my favourites has to be Psalm 103 v 10-14:
10 He has not done to us even according to our sins; Nor according to our errors has he brought upon us what we deserve. 11 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, His loving-kindness is superior toward those fearing him. 12 As far off as the sunrise is from the sunset, So far off from us he has put our transgressions. 13 As a father shows mercy to his sons, Jehovah has shown mercy to those fearing him. 14 For he himself well knows the formation of us, Remembering that we are dust.
:D

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 15:59
Weezer. For someone who thinks he's so smart your so bliddy stupid.:eek:
I would rather you leave this thread as a safe area for people to talk about their favourite bible verse and why. Not why they may or may not believe in a God.
If you want to start another thread pick up your bed and move on.;)

Your probably right, ill ask somewhere else.

I am smart, or at least smart enough to see through religion.

StarscreamsRise
04-Aug-11, 16:24
Well Weezer, i simply like having faith in something that i believe has helped me & i know has helped others. Thats all im prepared to say on the matter.

scotsboy
04-Aug-11, 17:05
Your probably right, ill ask somewhere else.

I am smart, or at least smart enough to see through religion.

are you smart enough to postulate the existence of God unassociated with man-made religion?

Rheghead
04-Aug-11, 17:15
Exodus

23:4 If thou meet thine enemy's ox or his ass going astray, thou shalt surely bring it back to him again.

23:5 If thou see the ass of him that hateth thee lying under his burden, and wouldest forbear to help him, thou shalt surely help with him.

grannymoose
04-Aug-11, 18:01
I for one would rather read the beano :)

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 18:06
are you smart enough to postulate the existence of God unassociated with man-made religion?

Indeeed. the problem with that is....infact ask on the other thread, i dont want to clutter this one with with points

Phill
04-Aug-11, 18:07
I for one would rather read the beano :)Yeah, I always found the bible a bit wordy.

redeyedtreefrog
04-Aug-11, 19:30
The Bible is just brilliant. I don't believe in any gods (if I had to choose though, Aphrodite for me), but it's a nice bit of literature with lots of blood, gore, sex, and unintentional humour. What I don't get though is people picking and choosing the bits to take out for moral lessons. It's got far more dodgy stuff than good stuff, i.e. stoning rape victims to death and doing exactly what the voices in your head tell you to. The Skeptics Annotated Bible (http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/) has a good selection of the horrible and silly bits.

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 19:37
The Bible is just brilliant. I don't believe in any gods (if I had to choose though, Aphrodite for me), but it's a nice bit of literature with lots of blood, gore, sex, and unintentional humour. What I don't get though is people picking and choosing the bits to take out for moral lessons. It's got far more dodgy stuff than good stuff, i.e. stoning rape victims to death and doing exactly what the voices in your head tell you to. The Skeptics Annotated Bible (http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/) has a good selection of the horrible and silly bits.
Is there anything good in it at all? :lol:

redeyedtreefrog
04-Aug-11, 19:53
Is there anything good in it at all? :lol:

Well, imagine a world where people went round covering their neighbours' ox, that'd be horrible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B17efMEWyAc (There're bad words in that)

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 19:57
Your talking in parables min.

weezer 316
04-Aug-11, 20:42
Hahaha, that site is superb!

badger
04-Aug-11, 20:47
Bit more than a verse I'm afraid, and I have cut a bit from the middle, but this is my favourite passage (wish I could live up to it!) :
If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

from 1 Corinthians 13.

oldmarine
04-Aug-11, 21:52
It's difficult for me to not believe in a Christian God. Twice I had a near-death experience. The first time when I was in battle during WW2 when I was knocked out by an incoming mortar shell and I saw my worthless life fleeting through my mind. That experience turned my life around and I vowed to turn my life around after much prayer and asking forgiveness. The second time happened when I was on an operating table for open-heart surgery. I saw my life fleeting away and then saw people (many whom I did not know) praying for me at various locations away from home. After I came to my wife told me those events truly happened. It's difficult for me to not believe in a Christian God. Bible reading helps me to maintain that faith.

gleeber
04-Aug-11, 22:04
Have you got a favourite verse oldmarine?
The trouble with those of us who don't believe the bible story is were inclined to throw the baby out with the bath water. The bibles full of personal wisdom. It connects deep down with some unseen but perfectly natural force unless of course your like weezer or the frog and your heads are stuck up your backsides. :lol:

redeyedtreefrog
04-Aug-11, 22:40
...unless of course your like weezer or the frog and your heads are stuck up your backsides. :lol:

I think you misunderstand me, the Bible does have lots of good things (Exodus 23:4, 23:9, 23:11; Pslams 41:1; Proverbs 2:2), but it also has lots of horrible stuff (Genesis 22:10, 38:7; Leviticus 20:13, 24:16; and many others) that's rarely mentioned.

Moira
04-Aug-11, 22:42
I'm with Badger.

http://niv.scripturetext.com/1_corinthians/13.htm

Tilly Teckel
04-Aug-11, 23:40
redeyedtreefrog - are you a Tim Minchin fan by any chance?? If not, you should be! youtube him - you'll love him I promise you ;)

Interesting thread; I don't consider myself a 'believer' as such, although I have turned to religion in the past to get me through a hard time. Ultimately, however, I found too much negative judgement of others for my liking. I've studied the Bible and texts from other world religions and feel they all have positives and negatives. With regard to the Bible, the most important message for me is to treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself ("do unto others, etc."). I try to live my life to this ideal and think the world would be a better place if we all did. It's such a simple idea but can be applied to almost any situation.

oldmarine
05-Aug-11, 03:23
Have you got a favourite verse oldmarine?
The trouble with those of us who don't believe the bible story is were inclined to throw the baby out with the bath water. The bibles full of personal wisdom. It connects deep down with some unseen but perfectly natural force unless of course your like weezer or the frog and your heads are stuck up your backsides. :lol:

John 3:16 has long been my favorite. It's easy to remember and fits my particular needs quite well.

StarscreamsRise
05-Aug-11, 06:51
There does not seem to be many believers in caithness at all, except old marine thus far who has my respect, but come sundays when its time for church the streets do seem to be over parked with cars for church, looks like theres more believers here than i thought

bekisman
05-Aug-11, 07:36
There does not seem to be many believers in caithness at all, except old marine thus far who has my respect, but come sundays when its time for church the streets do seem to be over parked with cars for church, looks like theres more believers here than i thought
Oh no there ain't, I expect many orgers, like myself (an Atheist) are leaving this thread to those who have a belief in a god

gleeber
05-Aug-11, 08:00
Oh no there ain't, I expect many orgers, like myself (an Atheist) are leaving this thread to those who have a belief in a god
Your post just makes no sense Bekisman. Your saying atheists will leave this thread alone but you post something which contradicts your point.. Reminds me of Matthew c12 v37.
As an atheist are there any verses in the bible that may ring a bell in the depths of your human (not atheist) nature? :eek:

brandy
05-Aug-11, 08:33
my fav. verses in the bible are Ephesians 6 11-13 but especially verse 13
11:Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12:For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13:Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

in my heart and mind it always stood out.. meaning that we do the best we can and at the end of the day we stand strong to our beliefs and convictions
you don't have to be christian to believe in what the bible teaches.
although i am..
it teaches moral values and a way of life.
christian means Christ like.. and that is what we are suppose to be (Christians) we are suppose to strive to be as Christ was.. and stand up to his example as best we can.
As we are human and fallible.. and the Ethos of Christ has taken on a HUGE unattainable reality.. we just do our best..
even Jesus messed up a few times.. he got angry, he wavered and at times almost gave in to temptation. However, at the end of the day He stood.

bekisman
05-Aug-11, 08:39
Your post just makes no sense Bekisman. Your saying atheists will leave this thread alone but you post something which contradicts your point.. Reminds me of Matthew c12 v37.
As an atheist are there any verses in the bible that may ring a bell in the depths of your human (not atheist) nature? :eek:I was merely pointing out that this tread is about the Peoples Bible - not to be ripped apart by the usual crew of disbelievers - I was a believer, member of the church; choir and all that, but my various horrendous experiences of 15 years in the forces and 11 years as a fire-fighter, daily experiencing tragic incidents - has led me to wonder; "why"?..

Verses in Bible as an unbeliever? nope

The Music Monster
05-Aug-11, 08:44
I couldn't possibly pick one verse that means more to me than any of the others - but you're making a great point about how the Bible offers something to everyone, irrespective of your beliefs in God.

I have to say that, whilst there is some great reading in the OT, I much prefer the Gospels. I love their positive contribution to the world and the at the end of Matthew's Gospel it is a great reminder that, whatever struggles and hardships we face, this faith is going to be here forever.

And in terms of Christians in Caithness, I've been pleasantly surprised by the sheer number of them. Those of you who think there aren't many, it's not surprising as you clearly haven't attended any of the Churches here!

Hoida
05-Aug-11, 10:35
My Favourite passage in the Bible is found in Matthew's Gospel Chapter7 verse7 "Ask and it will be given to you;seek and you will find;knock and the door will be opened to you.8.For everyone who asks receives:he who seeks finds;and to him who knocks the door will be opened."
I have many favourite verses but this one has been helpful many times.One must remember that God supplies our needs not our greeds.

Saveman
05-Aug-11, 11:01
What an excellent thread! Thanks Gleeber.

Some interesting responses to this. A couple more of my favourites:

Hebrews 3:4
Romans 1:20

cherokee
05-Aug-11, 11:19
Many verses and chapters from the Bible resonate with me also, as a believer in Jesus Christ Our Lord.

I have turned to Him many times in my life, asking for help and peace of mind in various situations. I know He hears me and would never forsake me. At times I've struggled through some very difficult times, but my faith in Jesus has never, for one instant, wavered.

I praise Him, often, during the day; thanking Him for the many blessings He has bestowed on me and my family, and sometimes to just ask for guidance in troubled times.

Quite simply - He is My Redeemer.

brandy
05-Aug-11, 11:28
i like reading the old testament as well.. it shows how much as a people we have changed over the years. how laws and governments have evolved.
what a lot of people tend to miss out on is that the old test. and the laws of Moses were fulfilled when Jesus came onto the scene.
it also shows that Gods followers were not meek and mild sheep who just led where they were shown..
a few examples are Moses in the desert
Job .. well he questioned God a lot!!
Sarah and Abraham! to the point that Abraham beget a son with Sarahs hand maiden..
Gideon in battle
Jonah.. there are so many!
most of the great stories in the bible are fraught with rebellion and lack of faith.. but then goes on to show how faith does overcome doubt.

could you imagine the novels that could be made from the bible.. if they were turned into fiction .. taking a story line.. and stretching it out and turning it into a novel..
think it would make a great series of books!
that may be a bit blasphemous.. but i would read them!

scotsboy
05-Aug-11, 11:40
Jules Winnfield's favourite is Ezekiel 25:17.................would put the videon clip link but it contains some profain language:)

Mystical Potato Head
05-Aug-11, 13:37
My Favourite passage in the Bible is found in Matthew's Gospel Chapter7 verse7 "Ask and it will be given to you;seek and you will find;knock and the door will be opened to you.8.For everyone who asks receives:he who seeks finds;and to him who knocks the door will be opened."
I have many favourite verses but this one has been helpful many times.One must remember that God supplies our needs not our greeds.

Tell that to the people currently suffering at the hands of the drought in the horn of Africa and i think they will beg to differ.God certainly isnt supplying their needs.

gleeber
05-Aug-11, 15:41
If ive learnt anything about approaching old age its that people carry a lot of baggage around with them. Imagine all the thoughts we ever had right from our very earliest thoughts. Theyre still whizzing about somewhere and probably still looking for a release. Little wonder the worlds in such a state.
I had a coffee in Spoons this morning with my old mate Tighsonas 4. He hasnt posted on the org for a while beause he's fed up with all the bickering. He can gurn a bit himself mind. He was telling me all about Jesus many years ago and I said I had too much faith in science to be fooled by all that stuff. As quick as a flash he said 'aye yeel die a scientist and a sinner'
It's a good thread right enough. I'm surprised that non believers have so little to say about all the wisdom contained in the bible. Mind you there are numerous books of wisdom that help peope to understand more about human nature and in particular their own nature. I chose the bible because of the launch of thepeoplesbible.org and in the hope we could excel as a community and find a common bond. There's time yet. :lol:

NickInTheNorth
05-Aug-11, 15:51
as so often the Dutch seem to be leading the way:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14417362

gleeber
05-Aug-11, 15:54
Ill just remind you that this threads about favourite bible verses, not about God. I started another one for the Godless to have a laugh. ;)
Do you have a favourite biblical verse Nick?

NickInTheNorth
05-Aug-11, 16:36
Ill just remind you that this threads about favourite bible verses, not about God. I started another one for the Godless to have a laugh. ;)

As it happens yes, however it would appear from this thread that we are not supposed to look to hard or find anything inconvenient:

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and the door will be opened to you; For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Which one of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone?...How much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Matthew 7:7-9,11

gleeber
05-Aug-11, 16:59
I think the original idea of the thread was favourite verse and why. I expected most people who posted to offer a verse and what it meant to them. The nature of the bible is such that it is full of contradictions. I suppose if you must use the verse to knock something that grinds in your own personality go ahead but lets not confuse other peoples opinions with our own. Its good to know what we think and why. No ones knocked the bible more than me on the org and I'm still capable of giving it a bashing.
I just think there's something good in the intentions of the authors and if we put their lives into context, their cultures and the laws of the society they were brought up in, women's place in those societies, homosexuality, blasphemy or anything other that angers your own nature, then consider why you get so angry that others have a more tolerant position.
A gang of atheists angry at what they perceive someones stupid beliefs can be just as dangerous as a gang of Muslims angry at Godlessness.
I used the opening post to explain how I think the bible has some very relevant text about human nature. I'm not talking about the story. That's another thread.

gleeber
05-Aug-11, 17:05
Have any of my fellow heathens checked the link I posted at the beginning? They can say it much better than me.

Moira
05-Aug-11, 19:11
Have any of my fellow heathens checked the link I posted at the beginning? They can say it much better than me.

The link didn't work for me but that may be because I'm not a heathen, allegedly.....

Great thread Gleeber. :)

golach
05-Aug-11, 19:14
The link didn't work for me

Nor me Moira, I put that down to gleeber, not wanting me to become enlightened such as he. :confused

scotsboy
05-Aug-11, 20:30
Try this:

http://www.thepeoplesbible.org/

Moira
05-Aug-11, 20:51
If ive learnt anything about approaching old age its that people carry a lot of baggage around with them. Imagine all the thoughts we ever had right from our very earliest thoughts. Theyre still whizzing about somewhere and probably still looking for a release. Little wonder the worlds in such a state.
I had a coffee in Spoons this morning with my old mate Tighsonas 4. He hasnt posted on the org for a while beause he's fed up with all the bickering. He can gurn a bit himself mind. He was telling me all about Jesus many years ago and I said I had too much faith in science to be fooled by all that stuff. As quick as a flash he said 'aye yeel die a scientist and a sinner'
It's a good thread right enough. I'm surprised that non believers have so little to say about all the wisdom contained in the bible. Mind you there are numerous books of wisdom that help peope to understand more about human nature and in particular their own nature. I chose the bible because of the launch of thepeoplesbible.org and in the hope we could excel as a community and find a common bond. There's time yet. :lol:

I'm not sure about the label of "baggage" Gleeber. "Baggage" indicates to me some sort of burden. My life, so far, and my memories no doubt have given shape to the person I am now.

I love what Tighsonas4 said. :) He's so right.

I think the "community" thing has gone, much as it pains me to say it......

Moira
05-Aug-11, 21:07
Nor me Moira, I put that down to gleeber, not wanting me to become enlightened such as he.

I doubt that Golach.

I just think the link didn't work. Where did Gleeber say he was enlightened?

secrets in symmetry
06-Aug-11, 12:30
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Hoida
06-Aug-11, 12:47
Tell that to the people currently suffering at the hands of the drought in the horn of Africa and i think they will beg to differ.God certainly isnt supplying their needs.

God only supplies the needs of those who trust him and believe in Him. Prayer is the answer it does work!

brandy
06-Aug-11, 13:39
not a verse but my fav bible stories are luke 8: vs 40-53

beetlecrusher
06-Aug-11, 15:41
I'd have to say that mine is the one that says "Go forth and multiply". [lol]

Mystical Potato Head
06-Aug-11, 16:50
God only supplies the needs of those who trust him and believe in Him. Prayer is the answer it does work!

Correct me if i'm wrong here but doesnt "the good news of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is for all nations and peoples"spring to mind here?

Somali Christians are threatened with death for abandoning the Muslim faith under a memorandom at a 2003 "peace conference" by the Somali Muslim religious groups.

I would assume that these Somali Christians are believers in God,so why are the prayers of this persecuted group of believers falling on deaf ears?Why are innocent children left to die of starvation,children too young to understand about prayer or religion.

Are the Somali Christians not to be included into the "Lords house"? Why has God and the great Christian family apparently neglected the suffering of these Christians and the plight of their church?

secrets in symmetry
06-Aug-11, 17:57
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Some posters on this thread clearly need help. It's not a coincidence that 999 is 666 upside down! :eek:

Moira
06-Aug-11, 21:13
Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

Some posters on this thread clearly need help. It's not a coincidence that 999 is 666 upside down! :eek:

This is not wisdom, you're having a laugh.

Were you able to read and comprehend the OP on this thread?

bekisman
06-Aug-11, 21:31
This is not wisdom, you're having a laugh.

Were you able to read and comprehend the OP on this thread? Tend to agree with you Moira

John Little
06-Aug-11, 21:37
"In the begynnynge was the worde, and the worde was wyth God; and God was the worde. The same was in the begynnyng wyth God. All thinges were made by it and wythout it, was made nothynge that was made. In it was lyfe, and the lyfe was the lyght of men, and the lyght shyneth in darcknes, and the darcknes comprehended it not"

secrets in symmetry
06-Aug-11, 22:01
The Book of Revelation is arguably the most important in the Christian Bible, and as such I have read it more times than I have read the majority of the other Books put together.

Are you an eschatological Theologian, or do you indulge in childlike isopsephy? The Book of Revelation can keep us all out of mischief.

gingernut
07-Aug-11, 14:25

My favourite bible verses are from the Yorkshire Bible....... The Lord said unto Moses you shall all have round noses except for little Aaron he shall have a square un.
and...... The Lord said to Peter "Come forth" but he came fifth and lost his beer money.:lol:

cherokee
07-Aug-11, 16:00
My favourite bible verses are from the Yorkshire Bible....... The Lord said unto Moses you shall all have round noses except for little Aaron he shall have a square un.
and...... The Lord said to Peter "Come forth" but he came fifth and lost his beer money.:lol:

And you find this funny ??.........................[disgust]

beetlecrusher
07-Aug-11, 17:48

Oh yes I find it hilarious - did you see mine Red, Go forth and multiply! LMAO [lol]

gingernut
07-Aug-11, 18:04

Oh yes I find it hilarious - did you see mine Red, Go forth and multiply! LMAO [lol]

Glad you liked it beetlecrusher. Yes saw yours and had a giggle. Nothing like having a good laugh now and again. Good for the soul!!!

Errogie
08-Aug-11, 12:11
Well when I was at the Black Isle Show on Thursday I was waylayed by a recruiter for the verse writing initiative. I asked why they were doing it and was told it was to bring people closer to the bible and its message. I explained my misgivings about religions and the multiplicity of God images and when he told me that Allah was a vengeful diety and not a patch on his one that was it. I didn't grudge him his faith, it was the superstitious religious claptrap, a lack of appreciation that may be other valid points of view and denial of more recent knowledge of the universe and our origins which turned me right off. Who needs enemies with individuals like that not prepared to have a good stand up debate in a muddy corner of the showfield!

oldmarine
09-Aug-11, 02:40
I was merely pointing out that this tread is about the Peoples Bible - not to be ripped apart by the usual crew of disbelievers - I was a believer, member of the church; choir and all that, but my various horrendous experiences of 15 years in the forces and 11 years as a fire-fighter, daily experiencing tragic incidents - has led me to wonder; "why"?..

Verses in Bible as an unbeliever? nope
bekisman: My horrendous experiences, experiencing tragic incidents during my 86 years had an opposite effect on me. It's probably according to one's view points.

bekisman
09-Aug-11, 06:37
bekisman: My horrendous experiences, experiencing tragic incidents during my 86 years had an opposite effect on me. It's probably according to one's view points.
Each to his own; that's what 'free will' is all about.

cesare
09-Aug-11, 08:06
i lol at religion/cults/politics if god is all mighty why he need so much cash lol people need something to beleve in.....thereonly one certainty in life..is we all gonna die end of lol get used to it

oh and for all the grammer/spelling kiddies correct me it saves me doing it :) jus sayin

silverlady
11-Aug-11, 23:57
So,did did anyone write a verse or two at Groats or Tesco?

Walter Ego
12-Aug-11, 07:12
"Rejoice not, O mine enemy. For when I fall I shall rise again." Book of Micah.