PDA

View Full Version : Riding around Lybster

Southern-Gal
03-Aug-11, 22:17
Hi
We are looking at moving up to the Lybster area as there seems to be quite a few crofts for sale in our budget and I am wondering what the riding out is like around there?
Is the traffic considerate to horses? Are there routes that are off road and what are they like underfoot?
Thanks in advance ;)

Southern-Gal
03-Aug-11, 22:19
Ooops and are there any riding clubs/like minded people/riding groups in the area to get to know the area better?
Thanks again!

george1234
04-Aug-11, 03:22
hehe buy my croft and il ride out with you! :P.. ive a croft (decrofted) for sale with 3.5 acres, or more to buy! and its a stunning location. with single track roads that are safe, and 1 mile from the sea.. :)

Southern-Gal
04-Aug-11, 08:23
Sounds lovely George!
Can you ride to and onto the beach from there?
Is yours the place on Rural Scene?
And 'de crofted' - why would that have been done? From what I can gather being a reg croft is good, or have I got it wrong? What are the benefits of being 'de crofted'?

porshiepoo
04-Aug-11, 09:56
Sounds lovely George!
Can you ride to and onto the beach from there?
Is yours the place on Rural Scene?
And 'de crofted' - why would that have been done? From what I can gather being a reg croft is good, or have I got it wrong? What are the benefits of being 'de crofted'?

Being a 'horsey' family ourselves we're quite gutted at the lack of riding round Lybster without having to chance the main road.
I've not had a horse for a while now but I hated having to use that road, it may have speed signs but there's a heck of alot of people who can't read em.
There are folk who are brave enough to use it regularly and will probably tell you it's no bother but I certainly wouldn't want to chance it with a young or green horse.
Having said that, the forest would be a great place to ride and you can either hack to it or box to it.
The beaches are not hackable to. lol. Definitely need a box to get to them but you could probably split the cost and make it more enjoyable if you find someone who wants to go along with you.

Maybe some of the locals who ride round Lybster could come on here and let you know where they all go and whether there's anyway to avoid the main road. Road riding isn't so much the problem it's the corner just going out of Lybster that I hate. I run it with a dog sometimes and it's ruddy lethal as far as I'm concerned. Won't be long before there's a death on that corner!

On the upside, great place to live lol. Hope you find what you're looking for and hopefully someone can give you some more positive ideas re riding here.

Southern-Gal
04-Aug-11, 17:11
Thank you. By the main road do you mean the coast road? I was thinking more of ridng frm the croft area over to the trees and Camster Cairns? Is that all open to the public?
Are there any schooling arenas to ride in around the area?
I wonder if what we are used to might make your road seem easy? Its all relative I suppose.
Can you say if being from England my son will be bullied in the local school?

george1234
06-Aug-11, 00:06
hia. yeah thats my place. um it was de crofted before we moved, we rather de crofted because there are better grants for farmland as this is a 200acre farm, but the house and surrounding field s are for sale.
to answer youre question on riding to beaches (there is no beaches till you get past wick) 18miles..... but there is a harbour with a little bit of sand i used to swim my horse there. thats a mile away and you ride down a quiet country road, then cross the road and ride down the village....

Leanne
06-Aug-11, 11:27
For riding Watten and Halkirk are the way to go. Or further north at Dunnett you get the beaches and forest