PDA

View Full Version : Orgers unite!

porshiepoo
29-Sep-06, 08:59
Right come on guys and gals what can we do to get the powers that be change their mind on the banning of all interesting subjects on the org??
I have a few ideas to get us going:

1) I figure we bombard all the moderators with complaints in the hope that their systems struggle to cope with the influx and give us a few weeks leeway to have conversations without the eye of the big brother watching over us. :lol:
2) Get into such heated arguments about the idle chit chat topics so that they figure we were more civilised in the heated conversations of the banned subjects. :lol:

All I've got so far but come on we orgers need to unite under the tyranny of the moderators!!!!!!!

Think i'm gonna get a ban for this?

Whitewater
29-Sep-06, 09:40
I agree with you poschiepoo, they should be more tolerant and sensible. interesting topics should not be banned simply because they are difficult to manage.

I don't think that the moderators have reached the 'Despot' stage yet, but they are heading that way. No subject should be banned in this land of free speech. Threads closed and locked ? Yes, I agree with that when they become distasteful and hurtful, but as has been said many times "if you don't like the subject, don't enter the discussion"

Dreadnought
29-Sep-06, 09:50
I don't think it'll work. They'll just make more of their friends into moderators. And yes Porshiepoo, there is a good chance you may get a ban for this. In my short time here I have seen a few people banned for being nothing more than a little controversial or outspoken in their opinions. Also some of the moderators seem to abide by only one rule: Do as I say and not as I do.

Having said that it does pay to remember this is a public forum and as such can be read by children. So any contentious issues ought to be discussed in an adult manner without degenerating into personalisations.

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 09:52
I don't think it'll work. They'll just make more of their friends into moderators. And yes Porshiepoo, there is a good chance you may get a ban for this. In my short time here I have seen a few people banned for being nothing more than a little controversial or outspoken in their opinions. Also some of the moderators seem to abide by only one rule: Do as I say and not as I do.

Having said that it does pay to remember this is a public forum and as such can be read by children. So any contentious issues ought to be discussed in an adult manner.
Why would porshie get a ban for this, criticism of moderators is not illegal.[lol]

brokencross
29-Sep-06, 10:09
I happen to think the moderators do a good job in difficult circumstances.

I have just read all the posting rules and they seem pretty fair and sensible to me and if adhered to we wouldn't have to be chastised.

The moderators do not set out to control what is discussed or attempt to be our moral guardians. As far as I can see, they monitor the tone and content of the thread/discussion, make informed decisions as to what breaches the rules (and the spirit of the rules) and act upon it as they see fit.

Unfortuanetly some Orgers seem intent on rocking the proverbial applecart. Some Orgers are not content to just put their views forward but seem to want to "score points" against other Orgers by berating them.

We are all entitled to express our opinions; unfortunately with topics such as religion and football the opinions can be so very polarised, this can lead to "overheated" reactions which in some cases can cause offence to the poster and other Orgers (and in turn the moderators).

I don't know if this thread "Orgers Unite" is tongue in cheek, but what I would say is "Orgers Read What You Write" (before posting)

henry20
29-Sep-06, 10:10
Having said that it does pay to remember this is a public forum and as such can be read by children. So any contentious issues ought to be discussed in an adult manner without degenerating into personalisations.

Very well said dreadnought. We have in the past (IMO) had a healthy discussion within a thread - correct me if you feel differently. I do not feel I got personal in the things I disagreed with, merely questioned your thoughts in different scenario's in order to develop understanding of your thoughts.

I think it is dreadful that people bad rep others or send nasty pm's just because they hold different views.

But on the other hand, this is a discussion forum, not a debating society - (having been in a debating society at school, they never got this personal) people need to remember that everyone is entitled to their views and should not be ridiculed for them.

brokencross
29-Sep-06, 10:19
A poll has been set up regarding religion, so it proves the moderators are sensitive to Orger's opinions.

Lolabelle
29-Sep-06, 12:48
I agree with the thought that some orgers start or comment on threads just to get others backs up. And some take the bait. Just imagine if no one entered into it. No response, no satisfaction for the stirrers. And we still are able to have fun and lively debates, discussions and conversations with each other.

porshiepoo
29-Sep-06, 13:03

Ah, it would appear we have our first devout follower of orgism! :lol:
Just kidding. You're very right there. I completely understand what you're saying however they still should not have the right to tell us what we can and can't talk about.

I have just read all the posting rules and they seem pretty fair and sensible to me and if adhered to we wouldn't have to be chastised.

Chastised! Chastised! We're blinkin adults for gods sake (Sorry, no pun intended). Yes, we can all probably be accused of being a tad childish at times but really...chastising us! LOL

The moderators do not set out to control what is discussed or attempt to be our moral guardians. As far as I can see, they monitor the tone and content of the thread/discussion, make informed decisions as to what breaches the rules (and the spirit of the rules) and act upon it as they see fit.

Which they have done a perfectly good job of in the past, by closing or locking a thread and explaining why they've done it.
How far is this going to go? Do we have to be wary of threads that are started that have the possibility of having religion bought into them?
Angels or maggot food was intended for life after death but obviously religion gets bought up in a subject such as life after death - so are we also banned from talking about life after death?????

Unfortuanetly some Orgers seem intent on rocking the proverbial applecart. Some Orgers are not content to just put their views forward but seem to want to "score points" against other Orgers by berating them.

The problem is thatwe cannot see the tone in which other peoples replies are meant and can often be taken the wrong way. What can we do about that? Ban everyone from having a 'tone' in their replies? Turn this into a yes/no forum? Run and ask the moderators to proof read first?

We are all entitled to express our opinions; unfortunately with topics such as religion and football the opinions can be so very polarised, this can lead to "overheated" reactions which in some cases can cause offence to the poster and other Orgers (and in turn the moderators).

Don't take this the wrong way but...such as life!
We can't run and hide from these things just because it may be construed as offensive....to the odd person.
A person never learnt a thing by burying his head in the sand but turning the other cheek, now thats something else, and it's something we all have the ability to do if we so choose.

I don't know if this thread "Orgers Unite" is tongue in cheek, but what I would say is "Orgers Read What You Write" (before posting)

But we can't please everyone! Theres always going to be someone that takes offence to something that is written in complete innocence.
I made a boo boo with one of my answers on the religious thread when someone accused him upstairs of causing cancer. I explained that cervical cancer CAN be caused by an std and is human responsibilty. Someone who is just recovering from this awful disease took offence where no offence was meant. I apologised for my remark and the person concerned was gracious enough to accept but do we also stop discussing subjects as emotive as cancer lest it cause someone offence.
Life doesn't work like that! We all have choices to make and unfortunately the moderators have chosen to take our right to make those choices away from us.

unicorn
29-Sep-06, 13:11
but their is a choice ... if we don't like it nobody forces us to stay here so of course we have a choice.

henry20
29-Sep-06, 13:25
but their is a choice ... if we don't like it nobody forces us to stay here so of course we have a choice.

While the subject may start out innocently, when things turn personal, it is not so easy to walk away. Some may feel they need to defend their views after a personal attack. I certainly would if it was something I felt strongly about, but I hope & believe I would have the maturity not to say 'you are wrong, I am right'

I find the smilies come in very useful when writing messages because they help indicate the tone.

It pleases me to see people saying sorry when they have jumped to incorrect conclusions about someones post - its the maturity to steer things back onto a friendly level. If people didn't respond because they didn't like the message, nothing may be resolved and people are left feeling upset. I would like to think I have not offended anyone so far and would hope that they would voice their views if I had - to at least allow me the chance to apologise.

I love having discussions with people on here, not knowing who they are. The ability to converse with people we may not meet/acknowledge otherwise. The helping hand that is extended when advice is sought. It is something to be proud of.

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 14:02

I am sure most of us are 'informed' about what is right and wrong as for anything else moderators are the same as anyone else, they don't always make the right decisions.

They have an infraction system for rocking the 'proverbial applecart'.

We are all entitled to express our opinions; unfortunately with topics such as religion and football the opinions can be so very polarised, this can lead to "overheated" reactions which in some cases can cause offence to the poster and other Orgers (and in turn the moderators).(before posting)

Lots of subjects can lead to overheated reactions, nothing new there but banning them wont change a thing and makes for a very dull forum.
I doubt very much if this forum would attract so many members, not just from caithness but all over the world if all it consisted of was threads about lost cats and the latest, sometimes unfounded, gossip about the latest tragic accident, now there's something worth banning.

golach
29-Sep-06, 15:02
Right come on guys and gals what can we do to get the powers that be change their mind on the banning of all interesting subjects on the org??
I have a few ideas to get us going:

1) I figure we bombard all the moderators with complaints in the hope that their systems struggle to cope with the influx and give us a few weeks leeway to have conversations without the eye of the big brother watching over us. :lol:
2) Get into such heated arguments about the idle chit chat topics so that they figure we were more civilised in the heated conversations of the banned subjects. :lol:

All I've got so far but come on we orgers need to unite under the tyranny of the moderators!!!!!!!

Think i'm gonna get a ban for this?

Porshiepoo, I have taken off my moderators hat for the moment to ask you whats the problem with having moderators? I, before I became a moderator had no problems with the way the Admin run Caithness.Org, and I am genuinely curious to find out what makes the difference now?

Royster1911
29-Sep-06, 16:55
Why ask other people what to do. If you are so unhappy at .Org, speak with your fingers. Go Elsewhere. Im sure their will be other forum boards where you can air whatever topic you want and get a slagging for it should not everyone not agree with your views. I am not siding with anyone here as I am quite happy where I am. Its the posters who make a bad forum, not the admin.[disgust]

sapphire
29-Sep-06, 19:27
I am not siding with anyone here as I am quite happy where I am. Its the posters who make a bad forum, not the admin.[disgust]

I have to agree with you here! :eyes