PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree

doyle
28-Sep-06, 23:35
Today I decided to embark on researching my family tree :eek:.(Not quite sure what I've let myself in for!) I have decided to start on my fathers side first. I have managed to get some information back to my g.grandfather and g.grandmother. I have a cousin who I think will be able to help me a lot on this side. The real problem is going to be when I start on my mothers side :confused:. She was born out of wedlock in 1931 and was brought up by her granny till she was 10. She never knew her father and was never interested in finding out about him. Her mother and her twin sister are both dead now unfortunately. The only thing my mother knows is that his name was Gibson, whether that is a forename/surname we don't know. He was in the Army and was billeted in Inverness before she was born. Whether that was Cameron Barracks or Fort George, again we don't know. My mum is okay about me doing this research, so is there anyone out there who can help me or point me in the right direction? Already I feel sucked into this and I am sure I will enjoy this new hobby.

trinkie
29-Sep-06, 07:35
Hallo Doyle,
I know you will have great fun doing your Family Tree.
Are you using Scotlandspeople?
Or for earlier Birth deaths and marriages use IGI
Do any of your family have Caithness connections?

I'm rushing just now, but if you want to PM me I'd be happy to help.

good luck
Trinkie

Kingetter
29-Sep-06, 09:24
Hi Doyle, I think you may well find that Family Research becomes addictive more than just enjoyable.
A couple of tips I will offer you.
First, information. Write down any or all information you come across (esp in conversations) and make a note against each piece, the source of that info and the date you got it. Down the road, you could be left with a bunch of stuff (leads) you cannot attribute to anyone yet need verification.
Second, grab 'family photos' whenever you can, and make sure you have info about the photo on the back of them and any other photos you take in this respect. Always include dates!
Third, back up copies of information in wherever you call a safe place (somewhere that info can be retrieved from without having to move Heaven and Earth to find).
Use appropriate Message Boards often - these leave 'signposts' to you so that if someone comes along afterwards with similar search queries they can make contact with you - they may even be able to help you, just as you may be able to help them. I've found that mutual help really underpins Family Research.
Good Luck.
James.

doyle
30-Sep-06, 19:08
Trinkie: none of my family have caithness connections as far as I know. They are mainly from Banff/Macduff/Aberdeen areas. I'm not using any websites at the moment other than genesreunited to build a tree. Thx for ur offer of help - you maybe wish you never offered in the months to come!! [lol]

Kingetter: believe it or not i'm finding it addictive already! I was up to 3am this morning! Zzzzz. Thank you for your valuable tips, I will keep them all in mind. How do I find out about message boards in these areas?

Kingetter
30-Sep-06, 19:28
Trinkie: none of my family have caithness connections as far as I know. They are mainly from Banff/Macduff/Aberdeen areas. I'm not using any websites at the moment other than genesreunited to build a tree. Thx for ur offer of help - you maybe wish you never offered in the months to come!! [lol]

Kingetter: believe it or not i'm finding it addictive already! I was up to 3am this morning! Zzzzz. Thank you for your valuable tips, I will keep them all in mind. How do I find out about message boards in these areas? -

Start with Rootsweb and use both Mailing Lists and Message Boards - http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/script/main/rw
These are offered for Surnames and Localities.
Look into Rootsweb first, then get back to me for more eh? PM me if you wish.

caroline
30-Sep-06, 23:27
Good website for Aberdeen and surrounding areas www.phlomis.plus.com can also go on to the Aberdeen Family History Society website www.anesfhs.org.uk for MI's you can view free do not need to be a member.

Good Luck in your research.