PDA

View Full Version : midge hell day

essex boy
26-Jul-11, 22:23
Would you all agree that today was the worst day of the year, so far, for the 'insect from hell'!

sids
26-Jul-11, 22:30
No. Never saw one at Wick, Mey hall, Harrow Harbour or Ham.

starfish
26-Jul-11, 23:02
yes it was and they all come from your forest bitten to pieces and they were in wick
richard wanted to visit for a couple of day but no chance with the insects from hell we are not brave enough

pmcd
26-Jul-11, 23:13
I was out in the field today, and was duly midged. Horribly midged. Dive bombed, "clouded", zinged, and generally stapped. I have a ring of fire around each ankle and wrist, and a special one around my neck. I have a message for all midges. I am going to buy a flame thrower. You are doomed, all 5 billion of you. One by one, I shall hunt you down.

And then we'll have a bash at the wasps........

Beat Bug
26-Jul-11, 23:23
I've had worse days. But this afternoon I popped out to the garden to get OH, and in 2 minutes my hands, arms and head were bitten to death! Dog was scratching at the earth and disturbed the blighters!

pat
27-Jul-11, 09:33
Yesterday was bad here for midgies.
Have a small Midge Eater but gas tank ran out on Saturday night and forgot to replace it on Monday.
On getting a replacement tank yesterday, was changing tank to restart machine and boy were the midgies attacking - had to don a midge net and repellent to enable me to finish changing tank.
Checked the midge trap in machine and there were many more midgies in there than usual. On speaking to neighbours they had been staying inside all day due to the amount of the dreaded beastie being so plentiful and hungry.

Corrie 3
27-Jul-11, 09:39
I think we should be lucky in the fact that they seem to be very late coming out this year, didnt see any late June/early July so have to count our blessings!!

C3.....[disgust]:roll:

porshiepoo
27-Jul-11, 09:47
For the first time this year I actually had to down tools outside and stay inside. Outside now looks like we were emergency evacuated where tools, garden implements and garden clippings were literally left where we stood as we legged it indoors!
I lasted as long as I could out there but damn they were bad. Spent the entire afternoon scratching my head like I had a severe case of Lice!
I'm about to go outside and try again today.

Beat Bug
27-Jul-11, 10:17
November 2009 we were having the land drain at the bottom of our garden cleared out, as a lot of earth and rubble had fallen into it. It was OK to start with, but getting towards the soggy end, the beasties were in full attack mode! Yes, they come out any time their habitat is disturbed, regardless of the time of year!

Stefan
27-Jul-11, 13:27
Since I started taken a B1 tablet religiously every morning they seem to leave me alone. Apparently they can't detect you as your breath and skin smells different.
Instead of having hundreds of bites by this time of year I had 5 so far..... On real bad days I employ the help of a layer of skin so soft.... midges are bad out at shurrery but so far I did not have to resort to working indoors. Midges tend to ignore me and follow the animals....