PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Houses in Caithness

highlander
28-Sep-06, 21:25
Do you know of any haunted houses in caithness, I remember my mum telling me that the top landing in the Janet Street club was soposed to be haunted, when her family owned the house, one of her brothers swore he saw a ghost of a man on the top landing, i think i have his name right, he was a Mr Kidd who had hanged himself.

Max
28-Sep-06, 21:34
Creeepy! I don't know of any local stories but would be interested to hear any!!

Billy Boy
28-Sep-06, 21:43
Castle of MeyThe castle dates from the 16th century and was built by the Earl of Caithness. The castle is haunted by the ubiquitous Green Lady, said to have been the daughter of the 5th Earl.

She is fell in love with a servant, which caused friction between her and her father. He shut her away in the attic room, and she threw herself from the window. This legend is common in Scotland, see Ackergill Tower.

Ackergill TowerIn the 15th century the castle was owned by the Keith family, who were in the midst of a feud with the Gunn family. After several murders and revenge murders, Helen Gunn of Braemore, was abducted by Dugald Keith who lived in the tower.

At the time she was betrothed to another man, and she either jumped or fell from the tower trying to escape. Helen Gunn is now said to wander the tower as a Green Lady.

The Green Lady seems to be a common ghost in many ancient residencies, and can be seen as a folklore motif. See the Castle of May for a similar legend.

highlander
28-Sep-06, 21:45
Thanks Mr and Mrs Billy Boy, i clean forgot about that famous haunting.

Buttercup
28-Sep-06, 21:59
Haven't heard the Janet Street one before. But many years ago, as a Saturday girl in Woolies (Thurso) we were always told that the room at the very top that was used as a store was haunted by someone who had hanged themselves there. Scared the living daylights out of us and everyone dreaded being sent up there! :eek:

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Sep-06, 22:03
The chimney doon at Wick harbour go into it in the dark and look up......major goosebumps!!!!!:lol:

r.rackstraw
28-Sep-06, 22:51
There was a poltergeist in an Atomic house on the Pennyland Estate back in the late 1960s. I remember it caused a lot of distress to the occupants but the problem was sorted eventually - can't recall how.
Does anyone else remember this?

pultneytooner
28-Sep-06, 23:02
Whit aboot the owwwld daark empty barn....there wiz nuthin' in it.[lol]

clash67
29-Sep-06, 17:05
I grew up in the FisherBiggins part of town (Thurso) which is the oldest part of town and there were plenty strange expieriences then I could tell you stories that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end but I will save my stories for another time.Enough to say that I DEFINATELY believe in ghosts.

Buttercup
29-Sep-06, 17:14
I grew up in the FisherBiggins part of town (Thurso) which is the oldest part of town and there were plenty strange expieriences then I could tell you stories that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end but I will save my stories for another time.Enough to say that I DEFINATELY believe in ghosts.

Come on now, you can't leave it at that surely? :( That's not even giving us half a story!;)

clash67
29-Sep-06, 17:34
Come on now, you can't leave it at that surely? :( That's not even giving us half a story!;)
Well there are many incidents I recal as a youngster, for instance there was one time that I was laying in bed late at night when suddenly the whole bed went down on one side as if someone had sat on the edge of the bed, another time I was scared witless when ,as I lay in bed with my eyes shut but not asleep ,I was touched on the face by what I can only describe as a baby's hand I jumped up straight away and was so terrified that I was too scared to get out of bed because the room was dark, little did I know that it was the start of a long episode of occurances involving spirit children, even now I get goose bumps thinking about it, but they seemed to get some sort of pleasure from my fear and it lead to many disturbing happenings but I will not go into it any further in the fear of not being believed, but lots of things happened to other people in that area, it was a very scary place indeed.

buggyracer
29-Sep-06, 18:54
about 10 years ago a group of us went up to bad bay, near helmsdale, there was about 8 of us and we just went up a look one sunday as none of us had ever been there before, after spending a few hours looking about the site, (which was a place for the familys to live after the clearances, on a sheer cliff face) the weather turned nasty so we decided to leave, it was mid febuary and it started to rain heavily we quickly walked the 1/2 mile or so back to the car along the small path single file, when all of a sudden we ALL heard childrens laughter behind us and we all turned around at once, but there was nothing, the laughing continued for a few seconds, and then dissapered as quickly as it had arrived, now the moorland is open and we were not near anything that could have obstructed our view and could see all around us for a good disitance, and we all deff heard it, and what was funny was it was like the laughter of children playing on a hot summer day, not like the kind of weather we were having.

hobbes1962
29-Sep-06, 20:15
The Station Hotel had stairs leading down to the cellar underneath where the female toilets are now and the Grey Lady was said to walk about on the stairs and in the cellar.

There is also supposed to be a ghost in the roof of a German spy

Mr P Cannop
29-Sep-06, 20:19
has any one been up in the moors in ormlie Thurso ??

WeeBurd
29-Sep-06, 20:21
Many a childhood hour was whiled away up there, I never saw anything untoward. Why?

WeeBurd
29-Sep-06, 20:27
Whilst at school in Miller Academy, the older kids used to tell us there was a ghost in the old music/tv building, can't remember the full story though, think it was someone getting their head chopped off having leaned out of a window. Thinking about it now, that would be quite a feat as all the windows are high up aren't they :confused ?!:lol:

unicorn
29-Sep-06, 20:29
The Station Hotel had stairs leading down to the cellar underneath where the female toilets are now and the Grey Lady was said to walk about on the stairs and in the cellar.

There is also supposed to be a ghost in the roof of a German spy

I used to be alone in there and have to go up and down for stock before the bar opened with nobody else in the whole building and never once saw a thing but I can promise you it was the scariest thing I ever used to do I hated going up and down but I always put the creepy feeling down to the dark and air temperature being different, glad I didn't hear this story while working there lol.
I remeber being in the old churchyard at the harbour as a kid and a hand slammed down on my shoulder and I turned to tell my nephew off for trying to scare me and he was at the other end of the cemetry!! nobody else was there.

Mr P Cannop
29-Sep-06, 21:04
some one said to me they were in the area and they heard a pipe band but could not see anything

Buttercup
29-Sep-06, 21:30
some one said to me they were in the area and they heard a pipe band but could not see anything
Think what they heard was someone in the nearby housing scheme playing the pipes (same as I did). :lol:

Mr P Cannop
29-Sep-06, 21:33
am not sure

Foxy
29-Sep-06, 21:34
The house i live in is supposed to be haunted. Years ago the house used to be divided in to two houses, one of which was used for holiday lets, some of the people that stayed in it complained about a baby crying in the upstairs bedroom. There have been times when we have been coming home in the dark that the light has been on in the bedroom but when we've gone to check it out it is off.

girnigoe
29-Sep-06, 23:18
What about Stirkoke house?

I was never brave enough to venture there myself but apparently the walls breathed and dripped blood!! :evil

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 23:22

I was never brave enough to venture there myself but apparently the walls breathed and dripped blood!! :evil
Never heard about the breathing and dripping blood but been there with friends in the middle of the night and didn't wait very long.

cullbucket
29-Sep-06, 23:24
Whilst at school in Miller Academy, the older kids used to tell us there was a ghost in the old music/tv building, can't remember the full story though, think it was someone getting their head chopped off having leaned out of a window. Thinking about it now, that would be quite a feat as all the windows are high up aren't they :confused ?!:lol:

That was Mina Villa... It was supposed to be haunted. The only time a few of us plucked up enough courage to creep up the stairs to the 1st floor, the first glimpse of a figure was enough to have us running out screaming in fear....
I think there were some mannequins stored up there..... or maybe there really was a ghostie.....

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 23:25

Also there was a house in castletown just along from the school they called the liquorice house, that was on scary place.:eek:

girnigoe
29-Sep-06, 23:26
Never heard about the breathing and dripping blood but been there with friends in the middle of the night and didn't wit very long.

So what was your experience there then?

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 23:32
So what was your experience there then?
Very strange experience, we were coming back from thurso and a mate sugested we went therew to scare the girls in the car, anyways we got there and entered the house, wen't up a very steep staircase and came to a small room, inside the room drawn on the floor in chalk was a pentagram and wax at regular intervals hwre there had obviously been candles, nevertheless we saw this and bolted down the stairs as fast as we could go.:eek:

girnigoe
29-Sep-06, 23:42
Or theres the "ghost" at Oldhall.

I have actually witnessed this - but it was foggy at the time and I had had a few drinks... :lol:

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 23:47
Or theres the "ghost" at Oldhall.

I have actually witnessed this - but it was foggy at the time and I had had a few drinks... :lol:
I have seen the one at oldhall to, they say it's a trick of the light and the trees

girnigoe
29-Sep-06, 23:53
So they say but that night she looked very real to me.

pultneytooner
30-Sep-06, 00:01
So they say but that night she looked very real to me.
She looked very real to me aswell but I was ridiculed for mentioning it.

WeeBurd
30-Sep-06, 00:16
All this talk of ghosties... I rekon MrBurd is a bit of a medium, he comes over all funny when there's spirits about...:eek:

sassylass
30-Sep-06, 02:08
...but I will not go into it any further in the fear of not being believed....

Having had my share of poltergeist experiences as well as my share of ridicule, I can understand your fear of telling.

Raven
30-Sep-06, 09:09
uh, all sounds super spooky!
where about is this oldhall and stirkoke house? are those old, derelict houses where you can go into or is someone living there?

Tugmistress
30-Sep-06, 09:18
where about is this oldhall and stirkoke house? are those old, derelict houses where you can go into or is someone living there?

hm, would like to visit these places myself, please tell where they are (an idiots guide to them would be even better ;) )

Ann
30-Sep-06, 10:41
hm, would like to visit these places myself, please tell where they are (an idiots guide to them would be even better ;) )

Oldhall house is very much lived in so please do not go wandering about there!

willowbankbear
30-Sep-06, 11:47
Stirkoke house, North School, Girnigoe Castle are the ones Ive heard of being haunted. Im surprised there arent any ghosts at Wick Harbour though as there have been a few drownings there over the years, some in mysterious circumstances.

Buttercup
30-Sep-06, 14:17
[quote=WeeBurd;140524]All this talk of ghosties... I rekon MrBurd is a bit of a medium, he comes over all funny when there's spirits about...:eek:[/quot
Aye, don't know anything about him being a medium I always thought his was a large double.:lol:

WeeBurd
30-Sep-06, 14:36
Aye, Buttercup, ye must know him well [lol] !

girnigoe
30-Sep-06, 16:50

The "ghost" at Oldhall isnt actually in a house. It seems to drift across the road just on the bend. Depending on the weather i think.

Woolie
30-Sep-06, 17:10
The clock tower at the very top of woolies wick is supossed to be haunted too don't know how true it is .

Metalattakk
30-Sep-06, 17:19
I used to be alone in there and have to go up and down for stock before the bar opened with nobody else in the whole building and never once saw a thing but I can promise you it was the scariest thing I ever used to do I hated going up and down but I always put the creepy feeling down to the dark and air temperature being different, glad I didn't hear this story while working there lol.

Aye, the story was that there was a young lassie working downstairs back in the days when the cellar was a bottling plant (there used to be old labels for the bottles in the drawer above the safe in the bar!) who was murdered in there back in the late 1800s.

You'd often hear strange bumps and noises from down there when you knew fine well that there was nobody about.

Used to hear plenty on those long quiet lonely afternoons.

unicorn
30-Sep-06, 17:38
there were a few of those odd noises on those quiet afternoons as you say lol I always blamed the ice machine. your imagination could have driven you daft in there. I never looked in the drawer so don't remember the labels.My scarist time in there was cleaning near that bottle of whisky on the shelf the thought of breaking that scared me more than noises!!

Metalattakk
30-Sep-06, 20:17
That bottle was given to old Euan Anderson (the barman that had been there for 50 years or so) when he retired. He left it behind to collect later, but died a few days after and never got it back.

It's gone now, I believe... :(

(Maybe Euan's haunting the place now..!)

caithnessboyagee
30-Sep-06, 22:05
The chimney doon at Wick harbour go into it in the dark and look up......major goosebumps!!!!!:lol:what the big spider web at the top? well thats what it looks like .