PDA

View Full Version : Gee whizz, is there anything left to discuss here?

scorrie
28-Sep-06, 17:30
Religion is now banned, as well as football. A million moderators with hee haw to moderate. Pretty heavy-handed in my opinion.

Saveman
28-Sep-06, 17:31
Indeed.....did someone complain?
No offence was intended

martin macdonald
28-Sep-06, 17:41
Religion is now banned, as well as football. A million moderators with hee haw to moderate. Pretty heavy-handed in my opinion.
yes i agree, what is the problem? religion and football are great topics to discuss if done with respect for each person and an open mind.if folkes do get out of order then deal with it, but to be banned. its getting a bit like a kinder garden org:roll:

MGB1979
28-Sep-06, 17:52
All that's left is gossip, lost pets and kneejerk ranting. I don't see a rosy future for the forum.

Gleber2
28-Sep-06, 18:01
All that's left is gossip, lost pets and kneejerk ranting. I don't see a rosy future for the forum.

High handed, unecessary and detrimental to the Forum. There does not seem to be many interesting topics left to ban.

scotsboy
28-Sep-06, 18:10
......and sex has always been a no no :)

j4bberw0ck
28-Sep-06, 18:10
yes i agree, what is the problem? religion and football are great topics to discuss if done with respect for each person and an open mind.if folkes do get out of order then deal with it, but to be banned. its getting a bit like a kinder garden org:roll:

I suspect that might be the issue. I didn't read the opening post in the offending thread as being respectful of others' views, or openminded. Quite the opposite in fact.

Hmm - meant only to highlight the respect and open mind bit but it's done the lot when I publish it to the board. Looks fine in the text editor box.

Tristan
28-Sep-06, 18:11
A real shame. There may have been one or two people who got out of hand but all those who voluntarily read and joined into the discussions enjoyed them.

Better to deal with the messenger, not the message.

sam
28-Sep-06, 18:16
how many people's live's actually revolve around football and religion?,

I am not against either being discussed, but i can also see why they have been banned and threads been locked as both are subjects that would more than likely get out of hand due to differences of opinion. i know that a lot of you will say that there is differences of opinion on all threads and yes there is, but just look out at the big wide world and see how much trouble has been caused by both these subjects it is just a recipe for disaster because unfortunatley there are a few who would take offence and because others dissagree with them would start personnel attacks and go way off topic.
thats my opinion anyway, and no doubt there will be someone who will take what i have said the wrong way or twist what i have said but hey thats a part of .org for you. :(

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 18:21
because unfortunatley there are a few who would take offence and because others dissagree with them would start personnel attacks and go way off topic.

Unfortunately that sort of juvenile behaviour on the Org is not limited to religion and football, as I have recently discovered. In fact there are even 'moderators' who indulge in such behaviour.

Saveman
28-Sep-06, 18:23
Wait a minute! Are we allowed to discuss what we're allowed to discuss? ;)

brandy
28-Sep-06, 18:24
honestly.. i would have banned the poster instead of the subject.
most everyone knows my views.. and when i read it.. well not even going to explain how it made me feel.. and i saw no point in responding as it was a post meant to stir trouble.. not to make a statement of belief.
to each his own and hopes that all are happy in what ever path their lives take them.
i am curious though... as far a theology and debating .. that is a whole lot of room to cover in a ban.. Nial are you sure there isnt a way where we can discuss religion.. but make it clear that it has to stay.. in a grey area.. that puposfully stirring trouble will cause a ban of the person and not the subject on the same way as swearing?

Gleber2
28-Sep-06, 18:29
Wait a minute! Are we allowed to discuss what we're allowed to discuss? ;)

Bit by bit the very aspects which made CCWS so interesting, the differences of opinion and belief, are being removed. There are not many subjects with teeth left that we can speak our minds about without being Moderated, banned or locked. The thread in question could have led into some interesting directions but now it has joined the rapidly expanding number of locked or vanished threads. How far can it go, one wonders.

martin macdonald
28-Sep-06, 18:30
most everyone knows my views.. and when i read it.. well not even going to explain how it made me feel.. and i saw no point in responding as it was a post meant to stir trouble.. not to make a statement of belief.
to each his own and hopes that all are happy in what ever path their lives take them.
i am curious though... as far a theology and debating .. that is a whole lot of room to cover in a ban.. Nial are you sure there isnt a way where we can discuss religion.. but make it clear that it has to stay.. in a grey area.. that puposfully stirring trouble will cause a ban of the person and not the subject on the same way as swearing? well said brandy. the poster should be banned:eek:

Gleber2
28-Sep-06, 18:33
well said brandy. the poster should be banned:eek:

Could this not be construed as deliberately stirring trouble.

scorrie
28-Sep-06, 18:43

just look out at the big wide world and see how much trouble has been caused by both these subjects (

Well, it is pretty much just the one subject in some football cases. I think it is pretty sad if we cannot discuss something just because it is problematical, surely the whole point of having so many moderators is to be able to step in when certain people go over the score. I believe that others are capable of holding a reasonable, intelligent discussion and disagree without needing to go to war over it.

I noted a post a while back where Niall talked about introducing a penalty for a person who had posted a list, culled from the internet. The reason for penalising was that the thread had been posted some months earlier and was not as funny as the poster thought. I think that is getting a bit rich, where you have to scan to see if something has already been on the org and then have it vetted for quality before posting. Is this a public forum or something that is being polished to satisfy a minority?

MadPict
28-Sep-06, 18:46
On another forum I am involved with we took the stance of no politics or religion - it was just too much trouble to moderate the topics when there was a clash of personal opinion. Threads quickly spiralled into personal attacks against contributors.
Politics and religion are probably the two subjects which are going to have people defending their believes more vociferously than any other and I think that has been shown to be the case in some threads which have ventured into this subject.

While we set up a sub forum for 'older wiser members' to discuss some taboo subjects we still have problems with some members, from opposite ends of the <Insert Subject> spectrum, locking horns like a couple of rutting stags....

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 18:53
Unfortunately if politics and religion are to be banned as discussion topics that leaves very little else to discuss. As there is very little in life which does not involve one or the other. For example, the Asda topic, that is politics.

scorrie
28-Sep-06, 18:56
i am curious though... as far a theology and debating .. that is a whole lot of room to cover in a ban.. Nial are you sure there isnt a way where we can discuss religion.. but make it clear that it has to stay.. in a grey area.. that puposfully stirring trouble will cause a ban of the person and not the subject on the same way as swearing?

That is nonsense. A public forum should never be run with the view to pandering to one person's feelings. The original post is perfectly reasonable, if lacking a depth of thought.

True faith could never be hurt by the opinion of another person, true faith would be about tolerance without anger, true faith would be about accepting the other party's right to speak freely. I don't believe that any God would be in favour of bans or ignore buttons.

MadPict
28-Sep-06, 19:02
Thankfully Asda doesn't feature that often on the forum I'm talking about ;)

But I see what you mean - football and religion in some cities are so intertwined you couldn't get a sheet of paper between them. But while folk get hot and bothered under the collar about diametrically opposed views to their own, and fail to moderate their responses, then I guess the subjects will remain 'off limits'...

Moby
28-Sep-06, 19:07
Unfortunately that sort of juvenile behaviour on the Org is not limited to religion and football, as I have recently discovered. In fact there are even 'moderators' who indulge in such behaviour.

Couldn't agree with you more! I have strong views and a great deal of facts regarding the ASDA situation but after a personal insult from a moderator I will not touch this topic with a barge pole!

mostlyharmless
28-Sep-06, 19:14
What happened?
Oh well my fault for being a passing customer I missed a heated discussion...

I tell you what lets discuss science and especially proven facts and oh of course dictionary definitions.
How about the theory of relatively harmless unorthodox truths .

martin macdonald
28-Sep-06, 19:23
Could this not be construed as deliberately stirring trouble.i wonder, did u read the post? its content was of stirring up religious hatred which has no place in any part of Britain today, it is against the law. a far cry from a religious discussion which is a good topic. i have a faith and did not feel threatend by the post.:roll:

Chobbersjnr
28-Sep-06, 19:24
What happened?
Oh well my fault for being a passing customer I missed a heated discussion...

I tell you what lets discuss science and especially proven facts and oh of course dictionary definitions.
How about the theory of relatively harmless unorthodox truths .

fresh caithness air gettin' tae ye huh:D

mostlyharmless
28-Sep-06, 19:26
Thankfully yes...'fresh air' now we could discuss that I'll start a thread right away!
Infact I bought some of there music long ago !

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 19:36
i wonder, did u read the post? its content was of stirring up religious hatred which has no place in any part of Britain today, it is against the law. a far cry from a religious discussion which is a good topic. i have a faith and did not feel threatend by the post.:roll:

I read the post you refer to. I did not get any impression of 'hatred' in it at all. It may not have been particularly well worded, and you may not agree with the premise, but it was a valid question and topic for discussion.

I wonder if discussion of censorship is permitted?

henry20
28-Sep-06, 20:15
I must admit that I found the topic quite distasteful. I felt it was challenging people to defend their beliefs and it was also a very strong post for a first posting.

I have previously stated that I have my beliefs, but won't go into them - I doubt very many of my friends even know my true beliefs, whether they are religious or not.

Personally, I think that religion topics would be fine if they didn't get out of control, but from what I have seen they do.

Religion is a subject very personal to people and they shouldn't have to justify their views to anyone or be ridiculed for what they believe in.

The originator of this thread knew there were similar threads on the go, but decided to stomp his/her mark well and truly on the org with an (IMO) in your face statement. While the thread may seem innocent to others, other people may genuinly be hurt.

Religion or non-religion makes us the people we are.

porshiepoo
28-Sep-06, 20:37
What the heck have I missed?????????

Whats this about religion being banned from the org?????????
Hmmmmmmm! Is the org worried about other religions overshadowing the new religion that is 'orgism'???? :eek:
Am I gonna get banned for mentioning the word and inciting a conversation with the r word?????

Whats haaaaappened!!!!!!!! :eek:

Ricco
28-Sep-06, 20:57

Hmmmmmmm! Is the org worried about other religions overshadowing the new religion that is 'orgism'???? :eek:
Am I gonna get banned for mentioning the word and inciting a conversation with the r word?????

Whats haaaaappened!!!!!!!!

I'm with you, Porshiepoo. What the devil (can I say that?) happened?! Hey - nice going with your PC by the way! Cool! (I'm OK to say that Porshiepoo is cool, aren't I?)

I always understood that the role of moderators was to do what it says on the tin - moderate.
TRANSITIVE VERB:1. To lessen the violence, severity, or extremeness of. 2. To preside over: She was chosen to moderate the convention.
This is an essential role to ease the strain on the orgministers (as in to administer - no religious overtones intended) and to keep the more verbose at bay.

I was not aware that it would lead to exciting topics being sent the way of the cassette tape - oblivion. If I don't like a topic (and there have been a few) or the way a conversation is going (been a few of those as well) then I have simply stayed out of them.

May common sense prevail!:roll:

cuddlepop
28-Sep-06, 21:02
Ricco,Commen sense has gone into hiding haven't you heard:lol:

pultneytooner
28-Sep-06, 21:22
I always thought the point of discussion was to get an idea of other peoples views so you could have a better understanding of why people feel the way they do about a certain subject.
Banning particular subjects is perhaps wise as this is a family forum and you have to draw a line somewhere as to what is acceptable and what is not.
Except in cases of posts that stir up hatred or make derogatory statements against certain religious groups or individuals and these types of posts can be erased at the touch of a button and the offender either warned or in severe cases banned, I see no reason why the discussion of religion should be taboo.
What exactly is the point of a forum with nothing to discuss?

Ricco
28-Sep-06, 21:27
Ricco,Commen sense has gone into hiding haven't you heard:lol:

What... has it been banned too? :lol:

highlander
28-Sep-06, 21:40
Opps maybe i will be putting my own head in a noose here, but as a moderator i can still have my point of view, my answer is no, it should not have been banned, im not a church goer, but i still have my own thoughts on the matter, i dont believe you should need to go to church, and listen to a certain minister (one in particular, is the reason i did stop attending church)
but i did find the religious thread very interesting reading, the views from some of the posters did have me asking myself, was i doing the right or wrong thing in my beliefs, ok we cant keep everyone happy, they have thier strong views on the subject, but they should also respect the ones who either dont, or are not sure.

henry20
28-Sep-06, 21:48
but they should also respect the ones who either dont, or are not sure.

IMO the posts in some of the religious threads were not respectful and I posted to say as much. Yes, people are entitled to their views, but on both sides of the debate people were being disrespectful - it may be that the posts were mis-interpreted, there is always a risk with typed messages as the tone isn't evident, but as long as people are mature about it, there isn't/shouldn't be a problem.

sam
28-Sep-06, 21:52
with religion, most people believe that their's is the right one and there are some who dont like it when theirs is questioned, which in turn leads to all the arguments and trouble that is most probably why it was banned.
its pretty sad that as adults we cant all sit and discuss this sort of topic without taking offence if someone else has differnent beliefs and views, but unfortunatley its just a sad fact of life that cause's many arguments in all walks of life.:(

sapphire
28-Sep-06, 21:59
I get the feeling that it is all to easy to type out replies which we would not say to someones face ..perhaps that is one of the problems.I started a thread some time ago about agreeing to disagree where i hoped that being a relative newcomer to the org and able to see only too clearly that a few threads were turning a little 'personal' ,that it would help get things back on track if people could take other peoples opinions on board and comment accordingly,and without animosity.
I did receive some very positive replies, but I'm afraid that I have to agree that while it is unfortunate that some subjects are being banned it is necessary at least for the short term.

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 22:08

Hmmmmmmm! Is the org worried about other religions overshadowing the new religion that is 'orgism'????

Whats haaaaappened!!!!!!!! :eek:

Nothing wrong with a good orgism now and then. :)

highlander
28-Sep-06, 22:10
I have to admit when i read the thread the "The God Followers" i was shocked in seeing the hatred of the posters views, I also thought at the time, this was put purely to inflame an arguement, ok maybe that person has reason to feel like that, but she could have carried on with the thread that was already open, instead of starting a dictorship of her views. So its a catch 22, do we ban the subject, or take that thread away because of the pure hatred that was put into that thread, my thoughts on it, it should have been removed, just like we have in british law, they can-not be a dicator and forcefully inflict thier hatred views on us.

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 22:20
What hatred?

highlander
28-Sep-06, 22:27
Jest Danna Stert!!! im no interested in you throwing yere fishing line at me, and trying to get me hook, line and sinker, go back to yere other thread where you sit judge and jury on peoples lives.

squidge
28-Sep-06, 22:32
I too think that the religion should be allowed to be sdiscussed but i also think the firstpost on the thread that led to the ban was inflammatory and posted simply to annoy people. I think that the person was wrong to do that and i would have banned them to be honest

pultneytooner
28-Sep-06, 22:37
Maybe we should send the moderators to moderator school.[lol]

highlander
28-Sep-06, 22:50
LOL pultneytooner, nah i dont agree, thats why u have moderaters, we are not like sheep, we have our views as well.

Whitewater
28-Sep-06, 23:07
I don't know what I have missed here, I have not been on the org for a day or two.

Religious topics do cause great debate, and have done so in the past on this forum. I agree that if the thread is distasteful it should be locked or deleted. but banning the subject, NO, is that not censorship/dictatorship

This is a free country, many people have fought and given their lives to keep it that way, and above all to preserve the right of freedom of speech so that everybody can have their say. Whether their opinion is judged to be right or wrong is irrelevant, it does not matter. What matters is the right to say what you want, without fear and without prejudice.

I'm afraid we have too many 'tinpot' dictators in the world today who have banned both the subjects for discussion, and opinions of their people, censor their press and the media, and fill peoples heads with all sorts propoganda about what they may or may not do, say or discuss.

Moderators take note of they road you are treading when you ban any subject on this or any other forum. It does not bode well for your future or the future of Caithness. org, you are creating a dictatorship.

Is that the way you want to run it? I don't think so, or at least I hope not. Think again before you ban any subject however distasteful it may seem. By all means lock and delete threads that get out of control, but banning any subject from discussion is not the answer, at least not in our free country.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Sep-06, 23:14
What will we discuss???????????????

Its the org ......football Naw,Religion Naw.I just put up a Cremola Foam Thread .....folk answered and folk read......enough said.....VIVA LA ORG!!!!:lol: :lol:

Dreadnought
28-Sep-06, 23:20
Jest Danna Stert!!! im no interested in you throwing yere fishing line at me, and trying to get me hook, line and sinker, go back to yere other thread where you sit judge and jury on peoples lives.

I'm serious.

Looking through previous posts it astonishes me that there are still people out there who follow 'The Word of God.'

OK, if for a moment we accept that is there is such a thing as a God, what I cannot understand is how and why ANYBODY could regard this God as a just, merciful or benevolent being.
Given the horrors and slaughter HE presides over, or the misery inflicted daily on the lives of Billions - be it starvation, cancer, poverty, chronic illness etc etc - it beggars belief why people actually worship him.
Surely, if God exists, he is the enemy of Man?
Meantime I enjoy trips down the A9, seeing all the abandoned Kirks, and I rejoice. Latest good news is the closure of Latheron, Berriedale and Bruan churches. Maybe now they can be turned into something useful.
PUSSYCAT
PS: Just in case: When I die and go to heaven, I would dearly love to kick the man where it hurts!

I do not see hatred in that post. Maybe some bias, and misplaced and illjudged humour, but no hatred.

wavy davy
28-Sep-06, 23:26
I don't post much but I enjoy trolling through the threads and watching people having a good old ding dong on whatever subject.

I agree with all/some/none of the content of each post but I'm not "offended" by any of them. As in the non cyber world, if you don't like what you're hearing/watching/listening to, then walk away.

IMHO, in this increasingly homogenised, politically correct world, having an opinion that isn't in line with the mainstream is something to be celebrated rather than trodden upon. I thought that messageboards were forums for discussion on contentious subjects, or is the return of Cremola Foam as exciting as it gets.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
28-Sep-06, 23:31
I don't post much but I enjoy trolling through the threads and watching people having a good old ding dong on whatever subject.

I agree with all/some/none of the content of each post but I'm not "offended" by any of them. As in the non cyber world, if you don't like what you're hearing/watching/listening to, then walk away.

IMHO, in this increasingly homogenised, politically correct world, having an opinion that isn't in line with the mainstream is something to be celebrated rather than trodden upon. I thought that messageboards were forums for discussion on contentious subjects, or is the return of Cremola Foam as exciting as it gets.

Agree wi ye wavy davy....enjoy all the posts and threads cos if ye didnae as ye say I would walk away.The Cremola Foam thread is a blether....not exciting.Start the threads and the blethers will go on:D

acameron
29-Sep-06, 00:02
Dreadnought - Of course there is haterd in that statement,

"Surely, if God exists, he is the enemy of Man?
Meantime I enjoy trips down the A9, seeing all the abandoned Kirks, and I rejoice."

If this statement was made about Muslims and Mosques, would you say there was no hatred?
I agree with Highlander that the religious subject should not be taboo, but monitoring the religious threads would end up being impossible.

My own personal view is that you are obviously an intelligent fella, and if so, you did see this statement as hate filled.

This IS the caithness.org; this site is setup to promote Caithness. There are other religious forums on internet where people can go and express there thoughts and feelings.

wavy davy
29-Sep-06, 00:16
Acameron - where's the hatred?

I think that the poster was expressing a disenchantment with reigion per se. IMHO a valid view and I think one that she would equally apply to Muslims and Mosques. Surely it's not an unitelligent view that religious conflict is the cause of much of the suffering in the world today - and yesterday - and tomorrow. You (or for that matter I) may not agree with it but it's a subject for healthy arguement.

Oops - just got myself banned I fear.

JAWS
29-Sep-06, 00:33
I missed the thread which led to Religion being blocked but, as far as I recall, Football could be discussed provided it was about Local Teams.
I seem to recall that there was some discussion surrounding the last World Cup.

The reason for the restriction on Football, as far as I understood it at the time, was that it generally revolved around certain pair of Clubs and rapidly reduced to insults, abuse and at time outright venom.

As I recall, the reason for putting a stop to the problem was that the amount of time keeping the subject under control was preventing the rest of the Org being kept upto date and it was felt that the resulting neglect was detrimental to the Org as a whole.

I too am not a great lover of subjects being totally banned but when certain subjects start to demand constant attention leading to all else being neglected I can understand why such action is necessary.

Jeid
29-Sep-06, 00:41
I too am not a great lover of subjects being totally banned but when certain subjects start to demand constant attention leading to all else being neglected I can understand why such action is necessary.

Good point JAWS. I think Religious threads would have to be monitored very closely. If everyone could keep things on a sensible scale it'd be an easy job. I'm sure nobody intends to offend others... but sometimes what one thinks is harmless, another might take offense to quite easily. We have a huge amount of people visiting this site and have to take things into consideration for all parties.

Some religious threads did stay sensible, but not all. Everyone has their own opinions on such matters and I personally don't think this is the place to discuss them. Posts can be taken out of context very easily and without realising it, someone could make a thread explode.

Gleber2
29-Sep-06, 00:43
Acameron - where's the hatred?

I think that the poster was expressing a disenchantment with reigion per se. IMHO a valid view and I think one that she would equally apply to Muslims and Mosques. Surely it's not an unitelligent view that religious conflict is the cause of much of the suffering in the world today - and yesterday - and tomorrow. You (or for that matter I) may not agree with it but it's a subject for healthy arguement.

Oops - just got myself banned I fear.

I think his spleen was being vented at God, not religion and, if this is so, there was no religious hatred being posted at all. If God exists, he was there before religion one would imagine. It is sad that we cannot discuss one of the most fundamental of questions because religious people might be offended by another person's opinion. Tolerance is one of the main tenets of religious faith. Why can't we all be more tolerant of the other man's thoughts.

highlander
29-Sep-06, 00:55
LOL this is why religious threads are so difficult to moderate, gleber2 you say
"why cant we alll be more tolerant of other man's thoughts" it does not matter what subject is being talked about, it all boils down to that one sentence, and if more looked upon this line, we could all have a sensible debate about things, without having some send nasty pms to anyone, to try a sway thier thoughts, or to be brow beated, or dicated to, every person on the caithness org has a right to thier says, but i for one, was so scared of posting my views, to either be taken out of context, or ripped to pieces, we would have more people typing thier view on things, if only they were allowed to feel free without incrimadation.

canuck
29-Sep-06, 02:39
Sam you wrote:

Mine does, not around football of course, but certainly around religion. I have already changed my profile lest my occupation should be misconstrued as a disallowed topic. There is a fine line for me here, although one of the mods has suggested to me that I am probably okay to continue posting.

Meantime I enjoy trips down the A9, seeing all the abandoned Kirks, and I rejoice. Latest good news is the closure ....

As to the content of the original post the words are a desecration of the memory of faithful Caithnessians who dedicated their lives to the love, support and care of the people of the county and those in need around the world.

riggerboy
29-Sep-06, 03:34
it would seem that the powers that be want this forum to be little more than idle chit chat, maybe i am wrong but i think the main man,the almighty orger himself, has taken it apon himself to be the ccws god and let no man or woman speak ill of him as he is all seeing and all reading,

now can we plaese get on with idle chit chat ?? has anyone seen the cat that went missing?????????

Tristan
29-Sep-06, 07:24
This IS the caithness.org; this site is setup to promote Caithness. There are other religious forums on internet where people can go and express there thoughts and feelings.

Caithness.org does an EXCELLENT job of promoting Caithness. I have used it many times to both read and post local information.
Are the forums just for talking about Caithness or are they there for the people of Caithness (and those with and interest in Caithness) to discuss topics that are important and interesting to them?
People and their opinions make a community what it is. Stepping outside of the local sphere and discussing issues that have local, national and international appeal should be encouraged because it enriches us all.

brokencross
29-Sep-06, 08:21
What I find quite interesting about "The God Followers" post, is not the post itself but the "Public Profile" of the poster.

Total posts:1 (0.32 posts per day)

Not bad going is it, to have your first post locked after a couple of days.

Is it a rogue post from an untraceable source computer (public library, internet cafe etc) from a disillusioned, suspended Orger using a "new" false username.

The post being specifically designed to stir up emotions and create discord within our Org extended family.

As per many other Orgers posts I depair when an enjoyable innocent thread is hi-jacked and personalities are brought in, rather than reasoned, logical discussion.

porshiepoo
29-Sep-06, 08:54
Banning all talk of the F word and the R word could eventually lead to the demise of the org we know and love. :(
Chit chat is all well and good when thats all you want but for those that enjoy debating other things away from the home, it's gonna make the org an extremely dull place.

If people don't agree with the content of a thread and are insulted by others points of view then they should avoid that thread. I agree the moderators may need to moderate such things but banning them all completely!!!!!!

Dictatorship on the org eh?????????? I feel an uprising brewing. :lol:

Come on big brother, sorry, I mean moderators, how about you rethink a few things?
We want religion, we want religion, we want religion, Oops sory - we want the R word, we want the R word, we want the R word.....................

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 09:09
I'm serious.
Original post deleted for fear of offending the easily offended and those idiots with nothing better in their lives than to tell others what they can and can't believe in.[lol]

I do not see hatred in that post. Maybe some bias, and misplaced and illjudged humour, but no hatred.
If that was the original post then there is absolutely nothing in there that could be construed by any sensible person as inciting hatred against a certain religion, because this person doesn't believe in a god or understand why others do and that, from what I can see, is all the post is about.
Get your heads out of the sand, there are some people who don't believe in your god or any other god and as far as I know that isn't a criminal offence anywhere else but on c.org.
Do yourselves a favour, strike a blow for common sense and stop this nonsense now!

henry20
29-Sep-06, 09:56
Surely it's not an unitelligent view that religious conflict is the cause of much of the suffering in the world today - and yesterday - and tomorrow.

Surely this is the reason that religious threads were banned? religious conflict, which as you say causes suffering.

In your defence of the topic, you have given the reason it was banned in the first place (IMO)

pultneytooner
29-Sep-06, 10:02
Surely this is the reason that religious threads were banned? religious conflict, which as you say causes suffering.

In your defence of the topic, you have given the reason it was banned in the first place (IMO)
In my opinion, stopping discussion stops understanding which causes more problems than it solves.

Niall Fernie
29-Sep-06, 10:03
OK, I can understand what you're all saying so I'm going to stick a poll up and I'll bow to the majority.

Poll is here (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=15160).