PDA

View Full Version : C B Radios

Fran
09-Nov-04, 03:40
:roll: Driving on the Inverness to Wick road today and passing all the Stevens lorries, reminded me of the cb radios, when I had one in the car and would chat to the lorry drivers. It certainly passed the time and made the journey shorter. It was also handy in emergencies(mobiles dont work near Helmsdale).
Does anyone still have their cb radios?. I think we should start it up again, it was great fun talking to everyone during the long dark evenings. I still have mine and I think some lorry drivers are still using them. :roll:

JammyDodger69
09-Nov-04, 11:34
Ahhh the good ol CB's..

1 4 for a copy
Wheres your home 20?

I remember my parents having them, I was just a wee boy when we had ours..

What was your handle fran?

golach
09-Nov-04, 11:46
10-4 Good Buddy,
lol the memories of sitting huddled over a chicken box screaming "CQ-DX CQ-DX" into the mike to catch the foreign skip coming in,. But sorry Fran my Silver Rod Ariel would not reach Caithness, coz I'm in the Big E or Bucketmouth City @ the Easter Road 20, still have all the gear set up in the " Radio Shack" = my wifes box room lol
10-10 till we meet again

Golach

Kenn
09-Nov-04, 19:21
He he golach ..you sitting on the side "Good Buddy"?
Still got my old CB radio some where gathering dust. What's with the foreign skip?
There are 2 conditions that make radio waves travel further on those frequencies one is temperature inversion and the other is sporadic e, the former usually happens when there is mist/fog thus creating extended line of sight contacts so during spring and autumn the latter when the atompshere becomes ionised and the sky wave gets trapped between the layers the most usual time is the month of June.
Is that a BIG 10/4? :eyes

Jeid
09-Nov-04, 23:47
i used to use the CB in the days before having a moblie phone was cool.

foreign skip was a pain in the ass when you were trying to have a decent conversation.

JAWS
10-Nov-04, 00:31
Tut Tut! Naughty Naughty! Who was using AM then, with or without a burner? :roll:

MadPict
10-Nov-04, 10:45
There are 2 conditions that make radio waves travel further on those frequencies one is temperature inversion and the other is sporadic e, the former usually happens when there is mist/fog thus creating extended line of sight contacts so during spring and autumn the latter when the atompshere becomes ionised and the sky wave gets trapped between the layers the most usual time is the month of June.

:eek: into Kernewek now!! [lol]

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/flaminmad.gifMadPict
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/MadPict/images/gruff_ext.gif

ŠAmethyst
11-Nov-04, 01:22
E-bay fest!!! http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/blobs/bounce.gif

Geo
11-Nov-04, 13:49
Be careful if looking at CBs on ebay. Some of the prices for old kit are rediculous, really pricey. I had been looking but gave up.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
11-Nov-04, 15:45
Norscot DAF dealers in Inverness have some good deals on CB kits!!

Fran
11-Nov-04, 20:00
Hope you will all go to that address and buy cbs so that we can all chat on the cb radios again :D