PDA

View Full Version : Community Cinema

bagpuss
22-Jul-11, 22:56
The former Dounreay Club in Breadalbane Terrace was, I believe, originally a cinema. Why hasn't some enterprising group put in a bid to return it to such use? It would be a good way to recycle a building

EDDIE
23-Jul-11, 11:14
It would probably not pay for its self if u miss watching movies on the big screen u should think about buying a projector?
Is there not a mobile cinema that comes around?

Torvaig
23-Jul-11, 11:42
There were two cinemas in Wick at one stage and they were well attended until the advent of videos etc. Why go to a cinema when you can watch any film you want at home with your snacks and drinks at hand and a pause button if you have to leave the room!

A cinema is quite an expensive place to take a whole family too; especially if you have snacks etc., and I often hear of the inflated prices of goodies in cinemas. Then there is the price of fuel if you live out in the country.

I lived out in the country and the only way into town was by bus which was a forty minute journey at least and we arrived half an hour or so after the picture started! So you came into the cinema half way through the picture and stayed on to watch the second showing to get the beginning of it and left when you caught up with where you came in!

There was no choice for us country kids but we didn't mind; after all that was the only way we would ever see the films! Mind you, it was a rare event; after all we had the expense of the bus fare as well so it was very much a treat.

If the cinemas (there were one or two in Thurso as well) were popular and profitable, they would still be open methinks.......:)

cazmanian_minx
23-Jul-11, 14:57
It would probably not pay for its self if u miss watching movies on the big screen u should think about buying a projector?
Is there not a mobile cinema that comes around?

Yes, it was in Bettyhill last weekend.

bagpuss
23-Jul-11, 15:54
I'm aware that most of the county now own either projectors or 42 inch televisions-my point was the use of yet another derelict building.

Another option might be flats or a large shop- maybe a TK Maxx?

Corrie 3
23-Jul-11, 16:22
I'm aware that most of the county now own either projectors or 42 inch televisions-my point was the use of yet another derelict building.

Another option might be flats or a large shop- maybe a TK Maxx?
Or Conservative Headquarters for the Highlands maybe???...[evil]

OK, maybe not!!......:roll:

C3.......;)

John Little
23-Jul-11, 16:31
A small cinema, the size of a village hall with a small cafe, comfy seats and state of the art digital projection which serves a rural community miles from any large town and no other cinema for miles.

That would never work!

http://www.kinodigital.co.uk/digital.htm

Torvaig
23-Jul-11, 18:22
That looks very civilised John Little; I see they cater for kiddies very well. Maybe someone from up here will get in touch with them; do a little marketing for Caithness.....

bagpuss
23-Jul-11, 19:53
I suspect that this very good example is for a community that likes to get out and about- and offer the social element of film-going- unlike affluent Caithness which prefers the Gloria Swanson splendid isolation version- sitting alone in their own home with a bag of microwave popcorn watching the film in the dark.

film going used to be a social activity- anyone ever read that Ray Bradbury story about the town where no-one goes out at all- ever.....

Dog-eared
23-Jul-11, 21:26
there's an occasional cinema in Strath Halladale.