PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favourite Solo?

Saveman
28-Sep-06, 13:19
We've had the greatest guitarist thread.....now what's your favourite solo??

It can be guitar, sax, piano....whatever.....but it's gotta send a shiver up your spine!

Chobbersjnr
28-Sep-06, 13:42
Kid Charlemagne~~Steely Dan, The Royal Scam

soloist is Larry Carlton

OR

Midinight At The Oasis~~Maria Mauldar

soloist is Amos Garret, A fine gent who stood at 6.1 and greeted me with a hand shake & proceeded to tell me about his personal friend Paul Butterfield!!!! OMIGOD

DOC ROCK
28-Sep-06, 13:43
Stevie Taylor's guitar solo in one of his own songs "Witch Finder". It is awesome! And certainly one of my top favourites.

Jeid
28-Sep-06, 13:53
I can back the Doc up, Stevie's solo is pretty damn good.

Saveman
28-Sep-06, 13:54
Any downloadable Stevie Taylor stuff available?

connieb19
28-Sep-06, 13:56
Or a CD, I've heard loads of people on about him, but never heard him myself?

Jeid
28-Sep-06, 14:01
You can see him live in October and he'll be playing some of his own stuff. No downloadable stuff just now as far as I'm aware.

Friday 27th of October in the Redwood.

Astronot and Boss Hogg will also be playing too.

DOC ROCK
28-Sep-06, 14:02
Not as yet, we are approaching the final stages of recording at the moment. We will have some sample audio downloads available soon.

DOC ROCK
28-Sep-06, 14:10
You can see him live in October and he'll be playing some of his own stuff. No downloadable stuff just now as far as I'm aware.

Friday 27th of October in the Redwood.

Astronot and Boss Hogg will also be playing too.

What a line-up! It should be a "rockin" night.

Jeid
28-Sep-06, 14:19
Should be a great night Doc!

j4bberw0ck
28-Sep-06, 14:24
Easy. Sugar Cane Robinson playing electric violin on The Gumbo Variations, from Hot Rats by Frank Zappa.

Not a big Zappa fan, but that violin is so wild it'll curl your eyebrows. Real virtuoso stuff.

And some solos done purely for amusement on Fried Hockey Boogie (Canned Heat).

Saveman
28-Sep-06, 14:25
Is it wrong to like the solo from this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvS6Fi2Wc74

??

;)

midi2304
28-Sep-06, 14:46
Jonny Greenwood in Radiohead's Paranoid Android.

The range of music he can make from a guitar is just amazing. Seen them live in Edinburgh last month. Definitely an all time live music moment.

Jeid
28-Sep-06, 14:49
A lot of Tom Morello's stuff is pretty damn good too.

Chobbersjnr
28-Sep-06, 16:31
Easy. Sugar Cane Robinson playing electric violin on The Gumbo Variations, from Hot Rats by Frank Zappa.

Not a big Zappa fan, but that violin is so wild it'll curl your eyebrows. Real virtuoso stuff.

And some solos done purely for amusement on Fried Hockey Boogie (Canned Heat).

point of information J/wock wasn't it Jean Luc Ponty that played the violin

Phoebus_Apollo
28-Sep-06, 21:58
I`m currently enjoying Buckethead (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4752604880896182737) and his over the neck tapping / atonal tomfoolery.... Ex Zappa all round genius Mike Keneally delivers on "Planet of the Baritone Women"...mucho respecto..:)

Deemac
28-Sep-06, 23:03
Artist - Frank Zappa
Album - Joes Garage
Song - Watermelon in Easter Hay

Highly recommended stuff!!:eek:

tierce-de-picardie
28-Sep-06, 23:07
hmm probably chris impelliteris version of somewhere over the rainbow my god that really does it for me.

or the sax solo in gunners dream by pink floyed in the final cut its so rhaspy and dirty and jsut makes u shiver with enjoiment.

and my all tiem fav has to be lotus feet gutiat concerto by steve vai from his new album real illusions reflections that really sends a shiver up my spine great composing performed with metrepole orkest. was amazing seeing him play it live

tierce-de-picardie
28-Sep-06, 23:10
actually pink floyd has alot of good spine chillers comfortably numb and feltcher memorial home wot a player gilmour is he is fast or show offish but damn he can make a guitar weep. new album on an island is relaly good

Kev_Plastic_Food
28-Sep-06, 23:16
hmm probably chris impelliteris version of somewhere over the rainbow my god that really does it for me.

Yep, that is superb. Think I have a video of him playing that live in Japan somewhere around...

tierce-de-picardie
28-Sep-06, 23:38
ye the sweeps are incredible shame that the recording quality isnt great tho. entionin japan got a vid of paul gilbert live in tokyo i think i was when he does his solo spot for 'mr big' and he dus the drill picking that is sum solo like and so is his track let the computer decide

cmack
29-Sep-06, 00:05
i absolutely love the solo in comfortably numb!!
fave solo atm is definitely second heartbeat by avenged sevenfold,
fave solo of all time, i rly dnt no

j4bberw0ck
29-Sep-06, 08:21
point of information J/wock wasn't it Jean Luc Ponty that played the violin

Chobbers, you kinda got me there; no, it wasn't. Just dug out my vinyl copy - Ponty was violin on "It must be a Camel". But it wasn't Sugar Cane Robinson, either. Silly me. Let's try Sugar Cane Harris, and I'll try to hide my embarrassment by blaming age and decrepitude :lol::lol:

I bought the CD of Hot Rats about 12 months ago to rip it to my mp3 collection (a struggle to find people who'd even heard of it :-) ) and was interested to find they'd re-recorded, or at least, fairly heavily re-edited, The Gumbo Variations opening. Not as good - the rythm's changed and there's too much of Zappa gabbing away in the background. But the violin is as dirty as ever - just amazing.

Chobbersjnr
29-Sep-06, 12:31
Chobbers, you kinda got me there; no, it wasn't. Just dug out my vinyl copy - Ponty was violin on "It must be a Camel". But it wasn't Sugar Cane Robinson, either. Silly me. Let's try Sugar Cane Harris, and I'll try to hide my embarrassment by blaming age and decrepitude :lol::lol:

I bought the CD of Hot Rats about 12 months ago to rip it to my mp3 collection (a struggle to find people who'd even heard of it :-) ) and was interested to find they'd re-recorded, or at least, fairly heavily re-edited, The Gumbo Variations opening. Not as good - the rythm's changed and there's too much of Zappa gabbing away in the background. But the violin is as dirty as ever - just amazing.

ahhh OK cool

I've only ever heard it on vynil. I was cursing the album because I thought FZ was doing nothing more than ripping off The Mahavishnu Orchestra untill I read the Hot Rats sleeve & realised it was recorded the year before TMO

killarifts
29-Sep-06, 13:10

or the sax solo in gunners dream by pink floyed in the final cut its so rhaspy and dirty and jsut makes u shiver with enjoiment.

and my all tiem fav has to be lotus feet gutiat concerto by steve vai from his new album real illusions reflections that really sends a shiver up my spine great composing performed with metrepole orkest. was amazing seeing him play it live

yeah tierce i love that tune so emotional ,he makes great use of 5ths ,to see that live must have been totally awsome

tierce-de-picardie
29-Sep-06, 16:22
which tune are u tlaking about lol. lotus feet? it is an amazing song i wanted to see if i could get the orchestral score for it and ask suzie dingle conductor of hyro if it could be playd but i askd dave weiner nd he dusnt think there is one available so oh well.

ooh ooh jsut remember in steve vais fire garden album the fire garden suite there is the most fantastic acoustic and piano solo/duet its so florrid and creative

Saveman
29-Sep-06, 17:04
Gary Moore - "Empty Rooms" live in Stockhom on "Wild Frontier" Video - pure emotion.

erli
29-Sep-06, 22:02
I am not sure, but I think it might be 'Seasons in the Abyss' by Slayer, the whole song gives me goosebumps and the sax in 'Baker Street' by Gerry Rafferty.
How are we supposed to pick one Saveman?

tierce-de-picardie
29-Sep-06, 22:10
he he baker streert now that is a song played sax to that at the big gig butt he fool i am forgot to switch the mic on for the first part lol ha ha but oh well was fun all the smae

erli
29-Sep-06, 22:14
So you play sax? Do you want to give me lessons?

tierce-de-picardie
29-Sep-06, 22:25
hmm im not amazing altho currently studying for grade 8 i cud teach u basics and so on. do you have a sax?

celtic 302
29-Sep-06, 22:31
fav solo would have to be in beutiful occupation by travis.

killarifts
04-Oct-06, 21:42
one of my favorite solo's has to be marty friedman's solo on megadeth's eye of the tornado totally awsome

Saxo01
04-Oct-06, 21:56
1st time i heard Kansas was at my mates in thurso when i was over whupping ur asses at scrambling man they were the days, But anyhows this solo lasts about 2mins its an old les paul gold top, it brings me to my knees every time i hear it, Its on the track magnum opus

tierce-de-picardie
05-Oct-06, 16:14
he he marty friedman now theres a player. he was at his best with becker i think the stuff they would write proper neo clasical speed metal he he. but always found friedan a bit arogant becker was the best shame hes paralysd these days

Kev_Plastic_Food
05-Oct-06, 18:08
he he marty friedman now theres a player. he was at his best with becker i think the stuff they would write proper neo clasical speed metal he he. but always found friedan a bit arogant becker was the best shame hes paralysd these days

They worked together as cacophony didnt they? Hmm, I think I have their stuff still, havent listened to it in ages...

tierce-de-picardie
05-Oct-06, 18:16
cacophony i missed that out. ye i got loadsa there stuff best track is speed metal symphony and black cat. speed metal symphony is sum piece tho they were pretty yung when they wrote that. i lvoe serrana by becker expecially the arpegios i lvoe playing them he he ther imensly hard tho i lvoe how becker can make a proper melody out of arps not jsut a set of chord based arpegios for showing off

Kev_Plastic_Food
05-Oct-06, 18:36
cacophony i missed that out. ye i got loadsa there stuff best track is speed metal symphony and black cat. speed metal symphony is sum piece tho they were pretty yung when they wrote that. i lvoe serrana by becker expecially the arpegios i lvoe playing them he he ther imensly hard tho i lvoe how becker can make a proper melody out of arps not jsut a set of chord based arpegios for showing off

Yeah, just listened to speed metal symphony, excellent stuff.. You heard much of Joe Stump or David Valdez?

killarifts
05-Oct-06, 18:38
yeah ive got that stuff too it's excellent becker is leathal

Sporran
05-Oct-06, 19:10
We've had the greatest guitarist thread.....now what's your favourite solo??

It can be guitar, sax, piano....whatever.....but it's gotta send a shiver up your spine!

Chris Botti's trumpet solos do it for me!! :cool: His music has sent a shiver up my spine many a time!!! :eek:

newlabeluk
05-Oct-06, 21:50
stephan grappelli & yehudi menuhin in the battle of th violins. such passion.