PDA

View Full Version : They don't have a clue

bekisman
21-Jul-11, 15:58
John 'O Groats, fair enough there's been a thread about the 'artwork' on the old hotel, but really John O Groats is world famous, everyone and their granny comes to John O Groats..

Of course living up here I don't see the place like the average visitor. But I did last evening.

Yesterday, Mrs Beks was doing a 21 mile training walk from Thurso to JOG via the back roads - for her End to End next September. At just gone 6pm, she walked down the road from the Seaview Hotel, first thing we see is a sandwich board on the pavement, proclaiming; "Fish & Chips" in the harbour.. hmm that would be nice we think..
Just by the harbour yet another sandwich board left out; same message.. Actually get to the harbour and find that the people who run the snack wagon locked up and left long ago, not giving a toss about their misleading signs..
Never mind, maybe could get a cuppa, surely at 6pm in a tourist hotspot like JOG there will be somewhere open? nah of course not, this lot do a nine til five routine..
There were two German tour buses turned up whilst we were there; looking for 'something'. Give it it's do, the First and Last Shop WAS open, but little comfort for any refreshments..

Mrs Beks needed the loo, ah, we know it's 20p to use em, but hey, what's a few pence? Nope, these are closed and actually shuttered!..

By perchance I glanced behind the Tourist Information Centre and discover that the area is a human waste dumping ground which stank to high heaven..
Oh look a group of five cyclists peddle in and do the customary pose at the 'Finish line' on the road (because of course the bloke with the 'official signpost' has gone home).. They attempt to enter a cafe there - to get their logbooks stamped - but of course that's closed too.. They ask us where the toilets are; "closed" we say in unison, our word causing complete incomprehension..

To compound the embarrassment we are asked by thee individual Germans where the toilets are and where can they get coffee..

31 years ago Mrs Beks and I cycled into JOG from Lands End, and I tell you what, nothing has really changed.. This 9-5 mentality may well work in a town, but good god, this is a famous landmark, there must have been at least 300 people milling about, with nothing to do. A bit of business acumen in this honey-pot would make 'em all rich - after all it IS the height of the Tourist Season.

The Bogs? Ok have the 20p toilets during the day, but open up a small one (free) for out of hours, I'm sure if they can have 'em open 24-7 in Melvich, Bettyhill, Tongue etc, they can manage it at JOG?..

So I suppose my initial words "they don't have a clue' stands up really well..

Even Chance
21-Jul-11, 16:31
At disna sound right til me either.
Ive never looked at JOG like at afore, but yer post has made me think. Maybe a sideline job for someone efter their normal workin day? Surely money til be made there?

bekisman
21-Jul-11, 16:34
At disna sound right til me either.
Ive never looked at JOG like at afore, but yer post has made me think. Maybe a sideline job for someone efter their normal workin day? Surely money til be made there?
A snack wagon would absolutley make a fortune; fact

John Little
21-Jul-11, 16:46
A snack wagon would absolutley make a fortune; fact

I've been a walker and cyclist all my adult life and have done LEJoG and I second that entirely. If some enterprising person has a snack wagon there they'd make a mint. Hungry cyclists lurve snack wagons - and so do tourists.

Even Chance
21-Jul-11, 16:51
I've been a walker and cyclist all my adult life and have done LEJoG and I second that entirely. If some enterprising person has a snack wagon there they'd make a mint. Hungry cyclists lurve snack wagons - and so do tourists.

So do greedy locals looking to upkeep their ballast ratio!!:lol:

sandyr1
21-Jul-11, 16:53
You are all correct....But then there is a mentality...
Shops open in Wick and Thurso....exclude Tescos....9am until 12 noon....Back at 1pm/ usually nearer 2pm., and then close at 5pm.
And Weds...half day! Hasn't changed in the past 50 years!

Can the thought process be changed?!

ducati
21-Jul-11, 17:41
How about a car full of pickernik baskets? :cool:

lindsaymcc
21-Jul-11, 18:01
Might be worth copying and pasting your post into an email to the JOG Journal or P&J or Courier. Im sure it would attract a lot of thought from local businesses.

Corrie 3
21-Jul-11, 19:26
It seems obvious to me that the business's that operate at JO'G must make enough money working 9-5 otherwise they would stay open later. Either that or they think that's its not worth working the extra hours as there aren't enough people about at evening time to make it worth while!

C3.......:roll:;)

bekisman
21-Jul-11, 20:33
It seems obvious to me that the business's that operate at JO'G must make enough money working 9-5 otherwise they would stay open later. Either that or they think that's its not worth working the extra hours as there aren't enough people about at evening time to make it worth while!

C3.......:roll:;) Well as I mentioned above, we counted about 300+ people there a 6.30(ish)

marwill
21-Jul-11, 20:44
Had the same problem myself at JOG, nothing open.
Must admit if I was in the tourism business, I wouldn't mind a couple of bus loads
of tourist and others coming into my business, at whatever time, even it meant
staying open till 10pm.
No wonder JOG has gone down hill:~(

sandyr1
21-Jul-11, 20:45

C3.......:roll:;)

But altho' it is a business it is also a 'tourist attraction'. In my years traveling to and from Caithness there seems to be a lack of interest in Tourism.
A previous thread I mentioned that the travel books I saw where I live, had Scotland cut off at Inverness.
Prior to e-mail I wrote the JOG/ Highland Council/ Scottish Tourism and never rec'd an acknowledgement. With the advent of e-mail I did the same....still no reply. A special 'council' had been set up some years ago to address tourism in the Highlands...I e-mailed them...guess what ...no reply.
So if you/we/they want to promote the North of Scotland, then perhaps some incentive be given to the shops to provide a service outside of the normal 9-5., with 2 hours for lunch!
There is a saying/ one must speculate to accumulate!

bagpuss
21-Jul-11, 20:52
if you lived in Italy, the tourist resorts there close from 2-7for their siesta then reopen at 7pm

okay- no afternoon trading- but in the evening when the 'promenade' time begins, trading resumes.

Perhaps the shops etc need to make appointments of evening staff?

however, driving up frominverness, Golspie loos also lock their doors at 5pm

this means that the hotels etc take over

So- business opportunity- evening only venue for JOG?

Duncansby
22-Jul-11, 14:22
What about the Seaview Hotel or the School House restaurant? Both of them would have been open after 6pm.

ducati
22-Jul-11, 17:11
What about the Seaview Hotel or the School House restaurant? Both of them would have been open after 6pm.

Aye but they are not actually in the touristy bit. Perhaps one of these business's would fancy running a catering van after 5.00 in the summer? May well be worth a wage or two if there were 2 coaches turned up at that time. I suspect it has been looked into though and still not profitable.

sandyr1
22-Jul-11, 17:56
Aye but they are not actually in the touristy bit. Perhaps one of these business's would fancy running a catering van after 5.00 in the summer? May well be worth a wage or two if there were 2 coaches turned up at that time. I suspect it has been looked into though and still not profitable.

Perhaps, but Highland Council spends Millions on other 'things' Why not subsudize a Major Tourist Attraction. It would not be much!

I was recently in Orkney, and it seemed that at most parking lots overlooking the Ocean/ Attractions, there was a 'convenience' van with goodies, and the restaurants were serving late...This was in the middle of May.....Why not Kaitness!

Duncansby
22-Jul-11, 20:48

Oh dear lord! By you you'd think they were miles away!