jlumsden
21-Jul-11, 10:43
We have a new puppy, any advice for toilet training???????? Thanks in advance

Birdie Wife
22-Jul-11, 14:34
Awwwww... :)

There's lots of advice on the internet if you google, but basically:
1. Don't bother with those puppy pads.
2. Take the pup outside every 30 minutes at first and whenever he/she does some business, praise him/her lots.
3. If he'she does anything in the house, don't scold (it'll just make the pup want to hide next time it needs to do something and you won't find it!). Clean up the area with a biological detergent - not bleach - that's very important. Bleach contains ammonia which can make the dog want to pee there again.
4. Gradually you can increase the length of time between when you take the puppy outside for a pee, as their bladder gets stronger. It takes a bit of time, but he/she should start to understand that if he pees outside, that's good, and he'll start to hold it in for longer.

dragonfly
22-Jul-11, 14:46
also take it straight out when it wakes up, after feeding, as above, never scold when it has an accident, always praise when he/she does it outside, make a big deal out of it.

when you take puppy outside start using a certain word it will associate with "going" so it knows that you want it to go out and do its business and not a word that you're likely to use in other parts of its training

good luck and stick in, its 2 steps forward 3 steps back at first but persevere and you'll reap the rewards and enjoy your puppy, it won't be one for long

Dadie
22-Jul-11, 14:48
And after eating or a big drink.....
If nothing happens try again in ten mins...and repeat until you get a result...you can get then to "go" on command if you say whatever catch word you like (but keep it the same everytime when they start to squat until they get the idea what you are on about...handy for those long journeys where a stop isnt for a walk just a quick pee and a drink or to get them to eventually only use one bit of the garden as a toilet!

Jenni
22-Jul-11, 22:02
I agree with all of the above advice but...........please please can we see a photo of the wee pup :-)

sids
22-Jul-11, 22:12
I don't think bleach usually contains ammonia.

crustyroll
23-Jul-11, 00:11
That's a big change from thinking about a Lab to a Pug? I won't ask how much you paid for it but as I know from personal experience they are not cheap, I hope you got the pup from a reputable breeder?

jlumsden
23-Jul-11, 13:57
It is a big change Crustyoll, but it was a well thought out change. . yes the breeder was reputable, have KC papers and vets healt checksfrom them, and 5 generation pedigree. Hope that answers your question :)

Jenni, as soon as I work out how to upload a pic, there will be one :)

crustyroll
23-Jul-11, 15:35
thats good, there are a lot of bad breeders out there :roll: and as I know how much my mate paid for hers I was just glad you didn't get ripped off. I have a pug here right now at my feet sound asleep!!!

jlumsden
23-Jul-11, 22:35
haha, my OH has just said he wishes he had a sleeping Pug at his feet . . . i love the energy he has just now though :D

jlumsden
27-Jul-11, 10:03
0 I hope this worked, it's my wee boy :D

Liz
27-Jul-11, 13:28
Afraid the link didn't work for me. :) How's the toilet training going? :)

Liz
27-Jul-11, 13:29
Forgot to say that Photobucket is really good for uploading photos.

jlumsden
28-Jul-11, 11:22
Ok, I hope this works better now :) http://s1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff492/jayneypoo1/

The toilet training is coming along well, slowly, but getting better :) x

Liz
28-Jul-11, 13:51
Aaaaaaaaaawwwwww! He is absolutely gorgeous. :lol:

Glad the toilet training is going okay. It can take quite some time but you'll get there.

binnes
28-Jul-11, 20:05
Deffo a big change from a Lab...love that last picture - "I didnt do it!!"

crustyroll
28-Jul-11, 23:39
Did he come from a breeder in Edinburgh? My mate got one of her bitches from there and he looks like similar breeding. Although size wise he is a really big change from a Lab they do have some traits in common and he should be a good pet :)

jlumsden
29-Jul-11, 16:17
He's not from Edinburgh but i know his sister from the litter has went to people in Edinburgh! So who knows, could be :) They are great little characters! x

Sarah
29-Jul-11, 16:47
Awww :) he is beautiful!

Robinwood
24-Aug-11, 06:47
Awwwww... :)

There's lots of advice on the internet if you google, but basically:
1. Don't bother with those puppy pads.
2. Take the pup outside every 30 minutes at first and whenever he/she does some business, praise him/her lots.
3. If he'she does anything in the house, don't scold (it'll just make the pup want to hide next time it needs to do something and you won't find it!). Clean up the area with a biological detergent - not bleach - that's very important. Bleach contains ammonia which can make the dog want to pee there again.
4. Gradually you can increase the length of time between when you take the puppy outside for a pee, as their bladder gets stronger. It takes a bit of time, but he/she should start to understand that if he pees outside, that's good, and he'll start to hold it in for longer.

Nice share ! seriously they are very nice tips and suggestions... Lemme try them on puppy .... hope it works with him !