PDA

View Full Version : Tree Vandalised

Fran
20-Jul-11, 23:27
I think it is disgraceful that people connected with/participating in the County show at wick cut 15 branches off a large beautiful old tree in a private garden without asking permission, and throwing branches and leaves across the road into a field damaging the fence. This house was on the route to the county show with no neighbouring houses. Sheer vandalism, hope the people are caught. Someone must have seen this done as they used an electric saw and would have needed a cherry picker machine to reach the high branches. This is not my tree by the way.

sids
20-Jul-11, 23:47
What did the people in the garden's house say?

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-11, 23:52
what did the people in the garden's house say?

tiiimmmberrrr,

Droopy
20-Jul-11, 23:55
Have the tree owners made a complaint Fran? Or is your post just to create 'orger' hysteria seens as there are no lost cats at the minute?

black16i
20-Jul-11, 23:57
i think its a case for the Special BRANCH.....................

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-11, 23:59
i think its a case for the Special BRANCH.....................

Thats it, if it's going to get silly I'm going to log off.

black16i
21-Jul-11, 00:09
Is there no C C Tree V cameras?

Fran
21-Jul-11, 00:57
Wish I hadn't bothered posting this now. It certainly isn't funny to the owners of the tree and yes it has been reported.

Whats missing cats got to do with this anyway!!

Droopy
21-Jul-11, 07:37
It certainly isn't funny to the owners of the tree and yes it has been reported.!So just to clarify Fran, before this reaches 'orger hysteria Castletown level', was it the owner of the tree and/or fence that 'reported' this vandalism, and if so, who did they report it to?

ducati
21-Jul-11, 07:54
If the tree overhung the road and caused an obstruction, then the council and roads maintainance company have a right to prune. (Although you would think they would take away the cuttings).

That sounds like one of those "I would fight to my last breath to defend their right to Prune" :lol:

brandy
21-Jul-11, 07:56
i would have thought they reported it to the police.. and i can see thier point.. if some one had come by and defaced my property i would be highly peed off as well.. sounds like someone some where told them it was ok to do this.. as it dosent sound like random vandalism.. ie with all the equipment. so would be getting in touch with the organizers and see if and why they had anything to do with it.

Beat Bug
21-Jul-11, 09:40
We have several old trees in our garden. We're next to an electricity sub-station, and when the trees grow close to the overhead cables they need to be pruned back to a safe level. Some trees are done every 4 years, others every 8 years, and the electricity people call with a form for us to sign consenting to this. Free tree pruning, giving us more light!

pat
21-Jul-11, 11:44
Beat Bug at least you know the trees are going to get cut - there will have been some consultation with you as to when and what they are going to do.
If after all the years the County Show has been going on - why have whoever cut them suddenly cut these branches without any consultation with the owner of the trees?
Someone has some questions to answer - whoever the guilty culprits are they should come forward as they will be found out.
Vandalism is unacceptable - whatever the age of the perpetrator and by the sounds of it old enough to use a vehicle and cherry picker - so old enough to know right from wrong too.

philupmaboug
21-Jul-11, 13:42
It would appear that the people running the County show are guilty of taking a few liberties! I believe they blocked off the foot bridge across the river which I thought was a public right of way?

Fran
21-Jul-11, 14:01
Thanks for your comments Pa t, it is vandalism. The tree has been there for over 50 years and did not hang over anywhere, just the owners garden, and the 15 branches which were cut were very high up over a private road. So the council would not have cut them.The branches and leaves have been thrown over the private road on to a fence which is now damaged, and are lying on the edge of the road. The tree doesnt look the same at all, and the change is noticable from quite a distance.

Droopy
21-Jul-11, 14:10
So just to clarify Fran, before this reaches 'orger hysteria Castletown level', was it the owner of the tree and/or fence that 'reported' this vandalism, and if so, who did they report it to?

Any chance you would answer my question Fran?

sweetpea
21-Jul-11, 14:51
Thanks for your comments Pa t, it is vandalism. The tree has been there for over 50 years and did not hang over anywhere, just the owners garden, and the 15 branches which were cut were very high up over a private road. So the council would not have cut them.The branches and leaves have been thrown over the private road on to a fence which is now damaged, and are lying on the edge of the road. The tree doesnt look the same at all, and the change is noticable from quite a distance.

If the tree didn't hang over anywhere then what was the point of cutting it? I'm finding it hard to get my head around this thread, what purpose was it cut for?

philupmaboug - the bridge was closed with a metal grid type thing, sign said 'closed for health and safety reasons from Friday until 5pm Sat 16th. I walked down that way and just climbed round it and into the show.

Fran
21-Jul-11, 17:41
Any chance you would answer my question Fran? sorry, i am not the owner and cannot answer for the owner but it has been reported

Fran
21-Jul-11, 17:42
Probably for high vehicles to get up the private road to the show

Droopy
21-Jul-11, 18:11
sorry, i am not the owner and cannot answer for the owner but it has been reported

OK, so what your saying is, the owner of the tree has reported the 'vandalism' to an authority of some sort?

Walter Ego
21-Jul-11, 20:32
Brilliant. Yew couldn't make this up......

This sort of outrageous behaviour needs nipping in the bud. Get to the roots of the problem.

Lets cut 'them' down to size.

Funny thread. Sad, but funny.

sandyr1
21-Jul-11, 20:50
If the tree didn't hang over anywhere then what was the point of cutting it? I'm finding it hard to get my head around this thread, what purpose was it cut for?

philupmaboug - the bridge was closed with a metal grid type thing, sign said 'closed for health and safety reasons from Friday until 5pm Sat 16th. I walked down that way and just climbed round it and into the show.

Was there a charge for getting into the show??

Corrie 3
21-Jul-11, 21:13
Brilliant. Yew couldn't make this up......

This sort of outrageous behaviour needs nipping in the bud. Get to the roots of the problem.

Lets cut 'them' down to size.

Funny thread. Sad, but funny.
I think it's a treemendous thread Walter, I think some of the replies teak the pee though!!!

C3.......:roll::roll:;)

captain chaos
21-Jul-11, 22:28
If this is the road that turns in at the coal yard then I watched an Articulated lorry come up (what on saturday was the exit road) snapping tree branches as he went, at one stage he had to stop and and empty the space between cab and trailer as it was full of branches.

Beat Bug
21-Jul-11, 23:03
Was there a charge for getting into the show??
Yes, there was, as always, a charge to get into the show.

PantsMAN
21-Jul-11, 23:35
I don't want to go out on a limb, but is it not a unique feature of a tree that branches will regrow?

Anyway I wood have thought that this topic was just an old chestnut.

Brodar
21-Jul-11, 23:56
I think it is disgraceful that people connected with/participating in the County show at wick cut 15 branches off a large beautiful old tree in a private garden without asking permission, and throwing branches and leaves across the road into a field damaging the fence. This house was on the route to the county show with no neighbouring houses. Sheer vandalism, hope the people are caught. Someone must have seen this done as they used an electric saw and would have needed a cherry picker machine to reach the high branches. This is not my tree by the way.

How do you know it was someone connected to the County Show that damaged the tree. Have the police confirmed this to you?

sandyr1
22-Jul-11, 02:34
Yes, there was, as always, a charge to get into the show.

So going over the 'metal grid thingy' would not elicit the entry fee!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ducati
22-Jul-11, 08:19
So just to recap. The tree was vandalised for no reason at all.

It didn't overhang the road at all.

High lorrys were using the road.

One lorry was knocking branches off sufficient in number to fill up the space between the cab and the trailor.

Droopy
22-Jul-11, 08:56
Yes.....l think Fran might be barking, up the wrong......eh.............tree....

sweetpea
22-Jul-11, 08:57
So going over the 'metal grid thingy' would not elicit the entry fee!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Your right. I didn't actually set out not to pay and even when dodging the gate on the bridge I didn't know it would actually lead me into the show, thought it would be roped off further up. But the cheek of them closing the public footbridge and saying it was for H&S reasons left me no other choice than to walk right in.... if they were that concerned they could have had someone at the end of the bridge taking money.

sandyr1
22-Jul-11, 12:08
The Honour System!

Rheghead
22-Jul-11, 12:52
classic thread on caithness.oak

RecQuery
22-Jul-11, 13:21
classic thread on caithness.oak

That was very wooden.

simpsoney
22-Jul-11, 14:40
The bridge was shut on the Saturday but i believe the council had agreed with this.

sandyr1
22-Jul-11, 15:21

Fran...It seems that some of these posts go off on a Tangent.....Why would you believe that something is/was disgraceful without knowing the full facts.

Several threads recently have made accusations to which someone then had to say 'sorry'. Once something like this is 'reported on the Net' one cannot undo what has been done.
I can see realistic discussions but to go off.........well I am sure you know the phrase.....
Perhaps you should really check into it and clarify same!

Croftergirl
22-Jul-11, 18:52
was it the road just above the cattle/sheep show park? If so I wonder if was maybe a lorry or a high sided vehicle that broke them of. We went in that way with our sheep and the branches were hanging very low doon.....
Just a suggest before I get my head bitten of!!

sids
22-Jul-11, 21:10
The Honour System!

I did that after I forced a passage over the footbridge. Or rather I would have, if I'd seen anything worth the six quid. But the the thought was there.

sandyr1
22-Jul-11, 21:27
I did that after I forced a passage over the footbridge. Or rather I would have, if I'd seen anything worth the six quid. But the the thought was there.

Well done// at least the 'spirit' was there!

Fran
22-Jul-11, 23:25
If this is the road that turns in at the coal yard then I watched an Articulated lorry come up (what on saturday was the exit road) snapping tree branches as he went, at one stage he had to stop and and empty the space between cab and trailer as it was full of branches.

No wrong road, one before, a private road. surely someone saw something. Did the big new vehicles come down here, they should have gone in the walkers entrance where they were parked.

Fran
22-Jul-11, 23:27
was it the road just above the cattle/sheep show park? If so I wonder if was maybe a lorry or a high sided vehicle that broke them of. We went in that way with our sheep and the branches were hanging very low doon.....
Just a sNuggest before I get my head bitten of!!

No....... the branches were professionally sawn off.They were thrown across the orad in to field damaging a fence

Fran
22-Jul-11, 23:28
I do know the full facts, otherwise I would not have posted about this.

Fran...It seems that some of these posts go off on a Tangent.....Why would you believe that something is/was disgraceful without knowing the full facts.

Several threads recently have made accusations to which someone then had to say 'sorry'. Once something like this is 'reported on the Net' one cannot undo what has been done.
I can see realistic discussions but to go off.........well I am sure you know the phrase.....
Perhaps you should really check into it and clarify same!

sids
23-Jul-11, 09:49
Whover did it, I reckon he's OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

sandyr1
23-Jul-11, 11:34
Oh Deary me!

oldmarine
23-Jul-11, 20:07
Some good comments on here. We must be careful not to jump to wrong conclusions.

Walter Ego
23-Jul-11, 20:52
Just been told at the bus stop that Special Branch are looking into it......

sandyr1
24-Jul-11, 13:15
So maybe we can get an update/conclusion on this matter. Can't leave it as a Who Dunnit!

Leanne
24-Jul-11, 13:17
So maybe we can get an update/conclusion on this matter. Can't leave it as a Who Dunnit!

A Who Dunnett by Forrest Gump?

Corrie 3
24-Jul-11, 14:05
I think whoever Dunnet should be Birched!!!!

C3.......[lol]

Kirdon
24-Jul-11, 15:11
No wrong road, one before, a private road. surely someone saw something. Did the big new vehicles come down here, they should have gone in the walkers entrance where they were parked.

Sorry but you have lost me, "a private road" into the show? As far as I knew you could access it through Robert street, Miller Avenue, George street or down through past the boating shed. All are public access. Can you explain a little farther?.

Fran
25-Jul-11, 01:25
Robert street is not a throughroad

Even Chance
25-Jul-11, 09:16
Robert street is not a throughroad#

Aye, but ye said it wis private, which it aint. Its most 100% definately a public road.

rob1
25-Jul-11, 11:17
Just looked at Robert Street on google's street view. There is a tree about 100m from the A99 that hangs quite low. There looks like there is only around 3 ft of clearance from the google car. It is perfectly conceevable that a large vehicle could well have knocked off a number of branches or indeed broken them and then for some trimming to take place.

Fran, perhaps the person who ownes the property where the tree originates should have taken more care of the tree and not allowed for it to grow so much that it blocks a public road which may have caused damage to a lorry.

sandyr1
25-Jul-11, 14:46
Perhaps Fran can solve this problem....seems she knows the owners and can report when it was reported to Police as damage, and what is being done about it.
Has an arrest been made??

Corrie 3
25-Jul-11, 14:58
I see this thread is very Poplar !!!!!!

C3............:roll::roll:;)

Mrs Bucket
25-Jul-11, 17:22
Fir goodness sake this is Chestnut good enought

Fran
25-Jul-11, 17:31
Just looked at Robert Street on google's street view. There is a tree about 100m from the A99 that hangs quite low. There looks like there is only around 3 ft of clearance from the google car. It is perfectly conceevable that a large vehicle could well have knocked off a number of branches or indeed broken them and then for some trimming to take place.

Fran, perhaps the person who ownes the property where the tree originates should have taken more care of the tree and not allowed for it to grow so much that it blocks a public road which may have caused damage to a lorry. The tree did not block A PRIVATE ROAD, there is no throughfare, no cars go up the road from where the tree is. the owners take great care and pride in their garden and tree. This was a deliberate act of damaging someone elses property, and leaving branches and leaves all over the place.

Cattach
25-Jul-11, 17:37
Thats it, if it's going to get silly I'm going to log off.

Looking back through the npostings it seems you were the first one to make a silly comment.

It is a serious matter. Caithness has few enough tree cover as is is without wanton vandalism.

NickInTheNorth
25-Jul-11, 18:11
The tree did not block A PRIVATE ROAD, there is no throughfare, no cars go up the road from where the tree is. the owners take great care and pride in their garden and tree. This was a deliberate act of damaging someone elses property, and leaving branches and leaves all over the place.

Fran - is this Robert Street that we are discussing?

If so I have checked and there is a vehicle right of way to the point at which the garden of last house on the left hand side of the road ends.

I'm guessing that the tree in question belongs to the house before that? If so 2 simple facts:

1) it is a right of way
2) if the tree was blocking the right of way the highways authority have a legal DUTY to remove it.

Just because no one drives along there does not mean there is no right of way.

ducati
25-Jul-11, 20:04
I think we need to call Fran's avatar to this thread....nee na nee na nee na :eek:

sandyr1
25-Jul-11, 20:13
Mr. D.......why don't u call the Council and ask them.....this is a World Wide Mystery.....We are all sooooooo excited....

sandyr1
25-Jul-11, 20:21
I think we need to call Fran's avatar to this thread....nee na nee na nee na :eek:

Ducati....I see there is another....TheRealDucati....who is the imposter??/

rob1
25-Jul-11, 21:40
The tree did not block A PRIVATE ROAD, there is no throughfare, no cars go up the road from where the tree is. the owners take great care and pride in their garden and tree. This was a deliberate act of damaging someone elses property, and leaving branches and leaves all over the place.

I know a private road was not blocked. You have made that clear in other posts! Whether the road is a throughfare or not is irrelavent. The point is it is a public road and must be clear of obstructions at all times. A high sided lorry would not have been able to get down there and as there were many large vehicles at the county show it is likely that branches were removed to allow access. I would suggest that it is the owners duty to make sure that their trees, bushes or whatever are not obstucting a public road. There is no evidance (as provided on this thread) that this is a deliberate act of damaging someones property. The broken fence is unfortunate, but most likely an accident and the person responsible should make the effort to appologise to the owner.

ducati
26-Jul-11, 00:16
Ducati....I see there is another....TheRealDucati....who is the imposter??/

You've caught me....I don't exist! :eek:

Droopy
29-Jul-11, 12:58

This must be a very serious matter...today someone told me that they had heard that someone else had seen a bus go up the road. It was full of people and the bus driver only had one hand on the wheel while holding a microphone........they're also saying (so it must be true) that the bus driver picked his nose too!

Fran
29-Jul-11, 23:49
The branches were not obstructing the private road. a van goes past every day so do cars, with no problem. This tree has stood for years, no branches were in the way of anything, it has been vandalised and looks completely different now. Without asking the owners permission and cuting 15 high branches down with an electric saw has defaced a beautiful tree and is vandalism.

Fran
29-Jul-11, 23:50
no buses go up that road, it is not a through road.

Moira
30-Jul-11, 00:24
Fran, I think the problem is that you are not being specific enough.

If you are referring to Robert Street, Wick, there are National Speed Limit signs half-way along which would indicate that this is not a Private Road.

If I've picked this up wrong, I apologise. :)

sandyr1
30-Jul-11, 00:59
Someone must have seen it occur/ and the Police?

therealducati
30-Jul-11, 14:22
You've caught me....I don't exist! :eek:

Then who is eating all the food, filling the hamper with dirty clothes and taking up space in my bed (not necessarily at the same time)?

rob1
30-Jul-11, 15:23
The branches were not obstructing the private road. a van goes past every day so do cars, with no problem. This tree has stood for years, no branches were in the way of anything, it has been vandalised and looks completely different now. Without asking the owners permission and cuting 15 high branches down with an electric saw has defaced a beautiful tree and is vandalism.

What is it with you and private roads? this is the third time you have told us that it was not a private road. We all know that Robert street is a public road. Trees grow, and when they do the branches get heavier. When that happens they tend to droop. It has been two years since the county show was last there which means that there has been an extra two years of growth hence the branches droop more. Again some of the vehicle at the show were very large and there is a chance that one of them hit a branch. Or perhaps someone realised that this tree may cause a hazard to large trucks and as it was obstructing a PUBLIC ROAD, branches were removed.
Do you really think that someone got a cherry picker and a chain saw to cut some branches off for the craic of it?

Fran
31-Jul-11, 00:22
Caithness org is for peoples views and I made mine, the tree was vandalised and thats all there is to it. The tree is on the other side of a private road which leads on to a small public road.Whether someone did it to protect their lovely truck, on a private non throughroad road, or for the craic of it, it is still vandalism to someones property.