PDA

View Full Version : Sigle Yellow Line

neepnipper
20-Jul-11, 15:12
Sorry, should read single in title!

Does anyone know what a single yellow line marked on the road means?

*Martin*
20-Jul-11, 15:30
http://tinyurl.com/3ruyv7m

Duncansby
20-Jul-11, 15:30
you can park there only at certain times of the day - there will be a sign somewhere telling you when

neepnipper
20-Jul-11, 15:47
For example, along Bridge Street in Wick?

It's just I thought it meant restricted parking but there always seems to be cars parked along Bridge Street during the daytime.

sids
20-Jul-11, 19:03
Well, read the signs . You may have to park to do that.

If the cars in Bridge St are doing something other than what the signs say, then there is no doubt their drivers are very very naughty.

Cape Crusader
20-Jul-11, 20:48
Not sure that this is wholly relevant, but in the Irish Republic a single yellow line means no parking at all, and a double yellow line means no parking at all, at all. [lol][lol]

theone
20-Jul-11, 21:05

In Caithness, along with double yellows, chevrons and taxi ranks, they mean very little.

neepnipper
20-Jul-11, 21:22
I have seen the signs on the road by Houstons that leads down to the car park, they say you can park for up to 30 minutes and that's a single yellow, but as I've never parked along Bridge Street (I always use the FREE car parks!) I wasn't sure, I thought it may of been no parking between 8am and 6pm Mon - Fri as have seen that elsewhere where there's a single yellow, but it can't be that as I've quite often seen the traffic warden walking along and he doesn't give out tickets to the cars that are parked there.

Mik.M.
20-Jul-11, 22:10
Road markings mean nothing in the Caithness Highway Code. Spoken to the traffic warden several times about vehicles parked at the side of Houstons and even seen him looking after a BMW when it`s owner left it running and went into the bank on Bridge St.

neepnipper
20-Jul-11, 22:19
We must have the nicest traffic warden in the UK! Does he give out tickets, if not, what does he do! Will anyone admit to receiving a parking ticket in Wick?!

Just seems to be not just one or two cars parked in Bridge Street (and outside Boots, 99p shop etc) but a whole line of them which does cause problems when lorries are trying to get through, have quite often seen cars parked right on the traffic lights, now that can't be legal!

Walter Ego
21-Jul-11, 07:36
A single yellow line means you can park there if there's more than one car parked in either of the two free parking facilities less than a hundred meters away.

Double yellow lines mean you can park there whenever you want and for any reason. It also reminds pedestrians that they should stand in the road to have a conversation with the parked vehicles driver - especially when there are cars and wagons trying to get past.

Zig zag lines on approach to Zebra crossings are reserved exclusively for taxis, whilst zig zag lines outside schools are reserved for mothers dropping off their loathsome offspring.

Junction markings are for pikeys and neds in knackered cars with bean can exhausts to cut hard when turning in....they look so cool, don't they?

National speed limit sections of road are for fossils to wander down in a vaguely forward direction at 25mph and it allows them to stop suddenly without any form of warning whatsoever.

And pedestrian crossings are for Wickers to ignore and walk out into the busiest section of road without looking because they've either seen something shiny or there's a "1p off" poster in the some shop window on the opposite side of the road.

rhian
21-Jul-11, 09:15
Walter Ego, i get the impression you are the Traffic warden !

laguna2
21-Jul-11, 11:01
Single yellow line means a good place to park, double yellow line means an excellent place to park! :lol:

pat
21-Jul-11, 11:53
Here in Stornoway
No need to bother with any yellow lines or tax disc as the traffic warden here just wanders around ignoring everything, vehicles without tax, vehicles parked all day on zig-zags at lights, on double yellows on blind corners, abandoned in the middle of the road, parked on pavements, trailers with no numbers or no lights etc - there is definitely no road laws over here
They have even got a facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stornoway-Parking/239100692785125

and another linhttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Stornoway-Parking/239100692785125k

Bobinovich
21-Jul-11, 13:47
Oh yeah, reckon a Caithness Driving & Parking FB page would be a great idea for a laff :D. Who's gonna do it???

neepnipper
21-Jul-11, 13:55
A single yellow line means you can park there if there's more than one car parked in either of the two free parking facilities less than a hundred meters away.

Double yellow lines mean you can park there whenever you want and for any reason. It also reminds pedestrians that they should stand in the road to have a conversation with the parked vehicles driver - especially when there are cars and wagons trying to get past.

Zig zag lines on approach to Zebra crossings are reserved exclusively for taxis, whilst zig zag lines outside schools are reserved for mothers dropping off their loathsome offspring.

Junction markings are for pikeys and neds in knackered cars with bean can exhausts to cut hard when turning in....they look so cool, don't they?

National speed limit sections of road are for fossils to wander down in vaguely a forward direction at 25mph and it allows them to stop suddenly without any form of warning whatsoever.

And pedestrian crossings are for Wickers to ignore and walk out into the busiest section of road without looking because they've either seen something shiny or there's a "1p off" poster in the some shop window on the opposite side of the road.

Ha! Now I understand!

Seriously, I did manage to have a look at the little signs on the lamp posts on Bridge Street today and they say 'no parking between 8am & 6pm Mon - Sat', maybe people just cannot read!

Bazeye
22-Jul-11, 21:15
Sorry, should read single in title!

The public toilets have been closed down.