PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Education System

Wish
27-Sep-06, 20:40
Can anyone help me?

We are about to move from England to Scotland and I have a quick quuestion about what years/school my duaghters will go in:-

The main worry I have is my eldest daughter is 10 (11 in December) she is in Year 6 of primary school here in England and if we would have been here next September she would be going into 1st year senior school. Now I may have just read it wrong, but in Scotland, doe she have to wait till shes 12 before starting secondary school?

Any guidance much appreciated, i'm confused:confused

Alice in Blunderland
27-Sep-06, 20:45
Not sure of the answer but if it helps my son is eleven will be twelve end of November and he is in First year at the high school .That looks as though your daughter would be about the same as my son when she goes into high school eleven going on twelve.:D

unicorn
27-Sep-06, 20:45
my daughter was 11 in July and she is in primary 7 high school next year but their are a few kids in her class that are not 11 until december, so not really sure.

young_fishin_neep
27-Sep-06, 20:46
hello, i moved up here when i was eleven and i was given the choice to join high school a year early or go back to primary, it tends to be your daughter choice, i chose to go to high school but i wish i had gone to primary, it would have given me a better chance of making friends quicker as there wasnt so many people to be with in classes.

hope that help if u need any more i may be able to give u a hint about what it means or involves.

kaz xx

henry20
27-Sep-06, 21:23
When I went to primary school I was youngest in my class and I was 11 when I started high school. I was born in January - it may depend when your daughters birthday falls as to whether she gets into high school or not.

However, I imagine that she will either be one of the youngest in first year or one of the oldest in primary school.

Maybe they will base it on what level she is at within the curriculum, but I would agree with YFN that she may find it easier to make friends in primary 7.

Wickerchick
27-Sep-06, 21:34
Hi, I think its the same everywhere, i went to highschool when i was 11 but was 12 in November so she would be able to start highschool next year, Hope this helps

Piglet
27-Sep-06, 21:50
In Scotland school aged children are classed as being 5yrs old when starting school or turn 5 by the 1st March the following years.
So based on this she should be in class 6 in scotland.

rfr10
27-Sep-06, 22:00
If you were 11 years old, always stayed in Scotland, then you would be in Primary 7 and you would move into high school either just before your 12th birthday or when you are already 12. Moving from England means that you will be a year forward in Scotland so someone who is 15 would be in 5th year even if they are only a few days older than someone who is in 4th year.

orkneylass
27-Sep-06, 22:01
although she may feel annoyed at having to go to primary school it would be much better for her to make local friends in a smaller school before going up to secondary - I have neighbours with twin daughters who were in the exact same position.

Wish
27-Sep-06, 22:19
:DThank you everyone!

Thats made things a bit clearer:cool:

j4bberw0ck
27-Sep-06, 23:09
IMHO, definitely keep her back to p7 for an extra year if you can. Let her make friends she'll take to senior school with her. Don't leave her in the position of being 16 in a group of 17 / 18 year olds all wanting to to University. Disaster potential.

Tristan
28-Sep-06, 07:17
If you were 11 years old, always stayed in Scotland, then you would be in Primary 7 and you would move into high school either just before your 12th birthday or when you are already 12. Moving from England means that you will be a year forward in Scotland so someone who is 15 would be in 5th year even if they are only a few days older than someone who is in 4th year.

True but she would be a young primary 7 this year. She is at the awkward age in the Scottish system where she could be Primary 6 or 7. If she is mature and strong academically she may do fine at the High school but she will probably find it easier to make friends and cope with the curriculum if she were to go into Primary 7.

If you go to this link
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/index.asp
It will tell you what is expected. Idealy she should be comfortable with work at Level D in all areas but especially Enlish language and Mathematics
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/curricularareas/englishlanguage.asp
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/curricularareas/mathematics.asp

Highland Lass
28-Sep-06, 08:46
Hi am moving from england to scotland, my son is in secondary school here just started september,he will be going in first year in scotland

Wish
28-Sep-06, 09:22
True but she would be a young primary 7 this year. She is at the awkward age in the Scottish system where she could be Primary 6 or 7. If she is mature and strong academically she may do fine at the High school but she will probably find it easier to make friends and cope with the curriculum if she were to go into Primary 7.

If you go to this link
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/index.asp
It will tell you what is expected. Idealy she should be comfortable with work at Level D in all areas but especially Enlish language and Mathematics
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/curricularareas/englishlanguage.asp
http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/5to14/curricularareas/mathematics.asp

She is quite academic, shes in her last year at primary in England and has already past the SATS that they are given in high school! I'll have a look at those links, I suppose its weighing up whats best for her, I don't want her to find shes bored in primary as the work is too easy for her, yet on the other hand I want her to socially be able to have friends etc (thats V V important to her and us)

Just another quick question, who decides what happens, the school, us or her?

Thanks again, your all stars:cool:

henry20
28-Sep-06, 09:26

Just another quick question, who decides what happens, the school, us or her?

Personally, I think it would be decided between the school & yourselves (with your daughters feelings on board)

Although if age cut offs meant she should be in primary 6 or 7, I don't think they'd agree to her going into 1st year. I may be wrong though

Tugmistress
28-Sep-06, 09:28
When i moved up i made an appointment at the high school for a chat before my daughter moved up to join me. It was Mr Bruce i saw and he was great. In the end it was the neeps decision and the school were happy to take her a year ahead of herself with the option of repeating a year at any time in the future (she should have started as Primary 7 due to age but had already started high school in england). She knew she may find some of it tough and needed to knuckle down to her work but she was willing to accept this and she did very well. I am sure she will be happy to talk to you about her experience if you pm her when she gets back from school later :)

JAWS
28-Sep-06, 09:56
Wish, you might have a look at this site.
http://www.army.mod.uk/soldierwelfare/familysupport/education/educsceuk/scotland/sw_fs_edn_scot_w.html

It's not as specific to the Army as the address may appear. It is obviously intended for Miliary Personnel transfering from England to Scotland who have children of the same age as yours.
It's brief and simple and would appear to answer your question about ages and the levels of Education required in the English system for transfering into the Scottish system.

I had a quick search round the Web for an explanation and all I can say is that I am now going to find a bed, a darkened room and a couple of brain pain pills.

Good Luck and hope it gives you a clue! :)

Wish
28-Sep-06, 18:03
:DBrilliant, thanks for all your help guys, its a bit confusing but I think we have worked it out now. I spoke to the new school today and they have informed me that as of August 2007 she will go to high school:cool:

Thanks again xx

JAWS
28-Sep-06, 23:22
Glad you got it settled Wish. Moving is bad enough as it is without the additional problem of being uncertain about your child's education.