PDA

View Full Version : undercover boss channel4

NickInTheNorth
19-Jul-11, 21:42
Just watching undercover boss on channel4 featuring the ceo of Blue Cross.

They have just done a round trip of 800 miles to collect 12 dogs from the ferry from Ireland for re-homing.

Now is it just me or is that just ridiculous?

Earlier in the program they were discussing the fact that they cannot even take in all the staffies that people take to them for re-homing.

Tilter
19-Jul-11, 23:35
Hi Nick, I didn't see the programme so can't comment on it. I know quite a few charities in England and Scotland take in dogs from Ireland. And it's controversial, since perhaps the English and Scots who donate to these charities are presumably trying to help dogs in rescue locally. The rescue I volunteer for does occasionally take dogs from Ireland when they have a bit of space to spare (and it's pretty close to Ireland), and I believe Blue Cross helps the charities that take Irish dogs with money (not quite sure how it works). The truth is, the state of rescue dogs in Ireland is pretty horrific. It's also a sad truth that, while there are zillions of English and Scots staffies needing to be rehomed, there aren't the people out there wanting to adopt them. So what's better, fill up your rescue with the same staffies for half a year or more, or take in a few cockers or bichons or something cute from Ireland (plus a few of their collies), because you know you can get them rehomed quick?

I honestly don't have an opinion on whether we should be taking on Irish dogs or not. For me, I'll help a dog find a home if I can and I don't care where it's come from.