PDA

View Full Version : Bad Skin Anonymous...

elaine
27-Sep-06, 19:35
I hate my skin.

My skin is crap.

To cut a long story short, my psoriasis is slowly but surely taking over.
This is a bampot condition for which there is no cure. In fact, I have a patch on my hip which has been there for 10 years and will refuse to budge no matter what I throw at it! His name is Bob. Bob HATES sunlight, steroids and water. Bob LOVES junk food, winter and stress!

Any other fellow "P" sufferers out there? (bro - I know about you!)

A guy has just started at my work whose eczema is really bad - I have re-named us "Itchy and Scratchy"

Bring on the winter - where long-sleeves aren't so uncomfortable and hay-fever is a thing of memories!!

Ok, moan over. Ach, everyone needs one sometimes eh?

(Permission to moan about your condition whatever it may be.................)

cuddlepop
27-Sep-06, 19:43
Elaine,hope you felt better after that,everyone needs a good moan once in a while.
My youngest suffers from terrible acne,nothing seems to shift it.Waiting to see dermatologist but thats months away.Stress is a major factor and as we cant sort the school mess out so we cant remove the stress.
My skins terrible too,all stress related.achhhhh.[evil]

WeeBurd
27-Sep-06, 19:45
I love my babies.... but I hate the pooch they've left on my tummy, all scrunchy like a withered orange, aided by the stretchies of course....

Maybe I should rename myself Wee(Kanga)Roo... :eek:

brokencross
27-Sep-06, 19:48
My heart goes out to you, it must be horrible to have to suffer continually.

My moan is that back in 1993, I contracted a virus in my calf muscles and had all sorts of dead muscle removed and nerve damage etc so now have bi-lateral foot drop and can't feel my feet or lower leg. Can only walk with the aid of leg callipers.

Only good thing is my callipers start to squeak about 4 hours before it is going to rain so I am an "amateur" weather forecaster.

dragonfly
27-Sep-06, 20:00
Hi Elaine, you are not alone. I'm sitting here at the computer with a comb (used solely for this purpose) in my hand scratching at my legs till they bleed and I am still not getting any releif and am dreading getting in the shower tomorrow morning as it will sting like heck!!!!! [evil]

I've had psoriasis since I was a teenager and the older I get the worse it gets. Sent off for some new cream (M-Folia), been trying it for a couple of days but so far no vast improvements.

Although I am complaining here, I usually just get on with it as I could have something far worse and more painful - we all have a cross of some sort to bear :confused

hobbes1962
27-Sep-06, 20:04
Hi Elaine

Have you tried DREAM CREAM from Lush? I used it on my eczema and it worked. If you try it, I hope it works for you.

loo-b-loo
27-Sep-06, 20:11
Hi Elaine,
My cousin tried chinese remedies for her skin conditions.
She boiled some kind of seaweed and put it on her scalp worked wonders but can't remember exactly what it was.
Do know a lot of the chinese remedies can work wonders on many levels, may not be able to get access to shops up here but sure something can be done online.
Leah

lynne duncan
27-Sep-06, 20:17
i've got psorasis too, though mainly just my scalp (unless i get a flair up and then arms and legs) but scalp is bad just now so i'll join you as a fellow "itchy"
I always end up looking like someone has sprinkled icing sugar over my shoulders!!!!!

airdlass
27-Sep-06, 20:52
Hi Elaine
I also have psoriasis aswell as psoriatic arthritis. I have been taking Methotrexate for several years now for my arthritis and my psoriasis has completely disappeared.

Bobinovich
27-Sep-06, 20:52
Fellow psoriasis sufferer here - scalp. Been using Polytar for a while as a shampoo (poo being the operative word!) but it can flare up really bad at times.

Dunno how it started (it's only been there for a few years) but I'd sure like to get rid of it or calm it down.

Next time I'm in Inverness I might try the Chinese remedy shop in the Eastgate Centre - see what they offer.

Heart goes out to anyone with similar ailments.

Fluff
27-Sep-06, 20:56
Lush is great for skin probs as the ingredients are all natural. When my exma was bad i used aloe vera gel, lovely and soothing!
I've read in a few places that the dead sea is great for psorisis sufferers.
Something to do with it being below sea level, the mud and the amount of salt.
Worth a try and a holiday! :)

elaine
27-Sep-06, 20:58
Yep, I can relate to the "icing sugar" and the sea-weed (which is the most god-awful thing I've smelt in my whole life!!)
What we do for a bit of relief eh?

(for "P" sufferers: here is an excellent place for a moan - http://www.psoriasis-help.org.uk/community/)

I've heard about the "Dream Cream" before (from the forum above) I think a trip into town is on the cards this weekend! I'm currently keeping it under control by going to the Tan-Stand and moisturising like a maniac (the St. Ives - Collagen Elastin is doing the job at the mo).

Scalp P is the pits! It's worse than the pits. I'm going through a good spell just now but it's swings and roundabouts! I remember as a kid, my mum using the bone comb to remove the plaques of skin before applying the "lotion of hell" (AYAAAAAAAHS). Fairly did the trick though! No black clothes while your heed's in a state! It's like confetti - and you have the constant urge to pick lumps of "oatmeal" off your head without losing handfuls of hair in the process! Ewww! or is that just me?

I think I'll stop there before I gross you all out! heh heh

loo-b-loo
27-Sep-06, 21:07
Fellow psoriasis sufferer here - scalp. Been using Polytar for a while as a shampoo (poo being the operative word!) but it can flare up really bad at times.

Dunno how it started (it's only been there for a few years) but I'd sure like to get rid of it or calm it down.

Next time I'm in Inverness I might try the Chinese remedy shop in the Eastgate Centre - see what they offer.

Heart goes out to anyone with similar ailments.

I have emailed my cousin in London to ask her what she used, I think it was a type of seaweed, but will let you all know once I have more details.
Good luck in Inverness!

goldenguernsey
27-Sep-06, 21:21
I feel for you Elaine, I know it is mostly stress related and in this day and age that's a constant factor. As for excema, my son suffered something chronic when he was younger. He had allsorts from the doctor including steroids and anti biotics all to no avail. Then we got milk/dairy goats and although I didn't realise at the time, his excema cleared up. I was just relieved that at last he finally got something off the doctor that worked, or so I thought.
It wasn't until I gave all our milkers a dose of wormer with a withdrawal period of 7 days, BANG! Once off the goats milk for 2 to 3 days he was in agony, couldn't put his arms down flat by his side, what a mess. Red, sore, raw and weeping and the same at the tops of his legs. It was aweful. The only thing of any help was sulphur ointment until he could have goats milk again, then it began clearing up. He only ever seems to get any problems if he has a lot of bovine products ie yogurt, milk shake etc. Otherwise goats milk keeps it right for him. Wish I could recommend something as simple for your psoriasis.

molly
27-Sep-06, 21:59
My friend has bad Psoriasis and heard that Salcura Intensive spray is really good. She has ordered through ebay 100ml for £14.90 with free p&p. I will keep you posted on how good it works

SALCURA INTENSIVE

Safe for people who may be prone to dermatitis, urticaria, eczema and psoriasis. This highly effective skin spray is quickly absorbed, non-sticky and penetrates deep down to clean, moisturise and protect the skin.

This spray provides the skin with essential nutrients to aid the body in its own natural healing process. Essential oils and moisturisers help prevent dryness, make the skin more supple and provide a natural antiseptic. Minerals including magnesium, calcium and silica play an important part in nourishing, cleansing and protecting the skin.

The solution is quickly absorbed through the pores of the skin to the dermis layer and then to the hypodermis where new skin cells are formed.The unique formula nourishes the new cells and binds them together to form a healthier skin which offers better protection against skin diseases and other negative influences.

Liz
27-Sep-06, 23:55
I empathise with all of you who have skin problems as I have had problems with my skin also ie spots and/or eczema.

The problem is stress can aggravate skin problems but then skin problems make you stressed so it is a vicious cycle!!!!:(

I personally find that taking wheatgrass juice (Sweet Wheat but there are other kinds and you can get them from www.bodykind.com) helps a bit.

Also avoid skin and bath care products which contain 'nasties' such a sodium laureth sulphate.

Liz Earle has a really good range but I've come across a good sounding range although I haven't tried it but there is a money back guarantee. It is available at www.naturalelements.co.uk

Good luck everyone!

sassylass
28-Sep-06, 01:12
My eczema was driving me wild, then the doctor told me "think zinc". Now I use a zinc soap, zinc based sunscreen, shampoo with zinc, and I tell you my skin hasn't been this nice since I was a baby.

Oh and The Devil Boss quit, a major stress reducer :Razz

golach
28-Sep-06, 09:40
, and I tell you my skin hasn't been this nice since I was a baby.

Can you remember that far back Sassy [lol]

dragonfly
28-Sep-06, 10:07

Did you have a bad throat infection? thats the trigger with most people who have *P*

dozy
28-Sep-06, 11:41
My Dad suffered from *P* and the funny thing was that when he went on holiday's to Malta it cleared up .I dont mean that the redness and the flakes stopped ,but the *P*went .But when he came home it returned .He always said that it came from the inside out but it was cheaper for the Health service to let people rub on creams . I only wish that i had the medical intelligance to study it .If we can't find cures for the biggest and most easily accessed organ in the body it's a sad day for Humanity.......

bky
28-Sep-06, 12:13
any one with a skin complaint has my total sympathy - i have lichen planus on my arms and legs - doc's said it would clear up in 12-18 months that was 20yr ago - tried all the usual perscriptions with no success - so maybe i will try some of the suggestions on here

Buttercup
28-Sep-06, 17:32
I'm an eczema suffer and I'm also a fan of Aloe Gel. I only wish I'd discovered it 25 years ago when I was so bad I could hardly sleep with the heat and itchiness ~ used to get up and sit with my hands (which were the worst inflicted at the time) in the sink full of cold water. It was agony, and the tears would be streaming down my face, to go into the water but at least it would take the heat out of it! My hands only occassionaly flare up nowadays but my legs are bad and the aloe really helps control the itch. It's so soothing and I would recommend any fellow sufferers to give it a go.

mostlyharmless
28-Sep-06, 19:19
Try Croftlotionsandpotions they do a range of stuff for skin conditions including eczema and psoriasis use herbs grown on there croft.

www.croftlotionsandpotions.co.uk

scorrie
28-Sep-06, 21:52
My daughter got good results for her eczema with Epaderm, which is best obtained on prescription.

This site recommends it:-

http://www.skincareworld.co.uk/healthcentre/our_products/epaderm/epaderm.htm

I have not checked out the rest of the site but there seem to be a few areas that may be of interest/assistance.

las123
28-Sep-06, 21:56
i also have eczema, it is not nice, i have it on my fingers and then in my arm creases and behind my legs, i have had it since i was little, i can control it with cream but it is really itchy, especially when they weather changes, it always makes it worse, i remember when i was at school you used to get called names and all that for having it, which really knocks your confidence. now my son has it also, i put cream on him everynight, even if it just the slightest scratch, i am not wanting him to get teased at his nursery.

leggyweggy
01-May-08, 21:28
I sympathise with you i had the worst outbreak of psorisas last year, going to the sunbed made a huge difference to mine. I was so bad i got photos taken for a medical textbook, but hey the doc that made me strip to my underwear was a hottie!! :Razz

George Brims
01-May-08, 21:44
It's closed down.

Fran
01-May-08, 23:18
Did any of you watch the programme on tv the other night about doctors in the street in a mobile clinic and embarrasing illnesses. Thery had a programme about psoriasis and cured one lady by putting her in a light booth for so much time each week. It was amazing how her skin healed.

Kevin Milkins
01-May-08, 23:30
I have had a read through the thread and had no idea how big a problem skin complaints can be.
I feel lucky that I have no skin complaints , but for some reason I just can't stop scratching.:confused

Penelope Pitstop
02-May-08, 11:55
Did any of you watch the programme on tv the other night about doctors in the street in a mobile clinic and embarrasing illnesses. Thery had a programme about psoriasis and cured one lady by putting her in a light booth for so much time each week. It was amazing how her skin healed.

I seen that too Fran it was amazing...UV light I think they used. I had heard about it before, but never seen the results.

dellwak
02-May-08, 12:54
I feel for you Elaine, I know it is mostly stress related and in this day and age that's a constant factor. As for excema, my son suffered something chronic when he was younger. He had allsorts from the doctor including steroids and anti biotics all to no avail. Then we got milk/dairy goats and although I didn't realise at the time, his excema cleared up. I was just relieved that at last he finally got something off the doctor that worked, or so I thought.
It wasn't until I gave all our milkers a dose of wormer with a withdrawal period of 7 days, BANG! Once off the goats milk for 2 to 3 days he was in agony, couldn't put his arms down flat by his side, what a mess. Red, sore, raw and weeping and the same at the tops of his legs. It was aweful. The only thing of any help was sulphur ointment until he could have goats milk again, then it began clearing up. He only ever seems to get any problems if he has a lot of bovine products ie yogurt, milk shake etc. Otherwise goats milk keeps it right for him. Wish I could recommend something as simple for your psoriasis.

This sounds as if your son has got an allergy to dairy products from cows milk, a sort of lactose intolerance. In this case I would not consider goats milk to be the cure, but cows milk to be the cause. Tell your son to try lactose free milk if he can't get goats milk, it might help.

kara
02-May-08, 23:43
i also have eczema all over my body. i can control it by creams and not taking milk, butter etc. Last year i was in the red sea and my skin was fantastic, the salt really cleared it up. since then i use a soap from the body soap that is made from red sea and its great.

i also think its a happy thing, if u feel happy your skin is fine. if your sad or worked up over something, your skin shows

lynne duncan
04-May-08, 12:58
still have my scalp P but also find that i know when i am under stress as thats when my arms and legs flair up - usually a good reason to revaluate whatever i am doing and erduce the stress - amazing how the body can act like a barometer to these things

Tilter
04-May-08, 23:13
I feel very sorry for all you psoriasis sufferers and very lucky that I've never had it.

Is it age-related at all? I ask because I used to get hives really bad, which I believe is related to asthma etc., where my hands, lips and throat swelled up and itched intolerably, but it disappeared some time in my 20's and I've never had it since - thank goodness, since I looked like Donald Duck when a teenager.