PDA

View Full Version : Car Trouble

rockchick
27-Sep-06, 19:13
Any mechanics out there?

I have a 10-year-old car, that for some strange reason has started to lose power while I'm driving. The battery was replaced new a few months ago, which seemed to help until just this week, when I'll be driving along and the power just cuts. It will start up again, but this is just weird. It also happens if I'm reversing and cut the wheel tight, like when I'm trying to get into a sharp parking spot.

Any idea what's happening? More importantly, is it fixable for less than the car is worth?

unicorn
27-Sep-06, 19:16
could it be your alternator packing in? There is a guy that checks and repairs them but I dont have his number.. lot of use eh!

chaz
27-Sep-06, 19:20
His name is John Berisford 01847871244, we have just been given his number to get two fixed:) Let me know if you get it fixed, if not will ask about:D

martin macdonald
27-Sep-06, 19:21
could it be your alternator packing in? There is a guy that checks and repairs them but I dont have his number.. lot of use eh!
yes i would say it is the alternater. i had the same thing with my car a short time ago:eek:

brokencross
27-Sep-06, 19:31
I had similar symptoms with my old Fiat 128 (I know it is ages ago), it would happen when ever I put a "load" on the engine.
The mechanic said it was the carburettor which was getting clogged due to "dirty" fuel. Had it cleaned and it would go fine for a day or two then same thing would happen again. Turned out the fuel tank had sediment from somewhere and this was being taken up to the carb. Once the tank was flushed, cleaned and drained, it ran like a dream.

dozy
27-Sep-06, 19:36
Any mechanics out there?

I have a 10-year-old car, that for some strange reason has started to lose power while I'm driving. The battery was replaced new a few months ago, which seemed to help until just this week, when I'll be driving along and the power just cuts. It will start up again, but this is just weird. It also happens if I'm reversing and cut the wheel tight, like when I'm trying to get into a sharp parking spot.

Any idea what's happening? More importantly, is it fixable for less than the car is worth?
Hi .if you are in Thurso drop me a PM as i have got a tester that will show if its the alternater .But to be truthful if its the alternater it will flatten the battrey so the lights and starter dont work .You can field test the alternater by starting the car ,let it warm up but on fullbeam when start switching on the heater then the rear window heater (these draw the most electricity).Get a friend to watch the headlamps (on full beam) if the lamps go really dim or start to flicker badly its means the alternater regulater is faulty ...Give it a try or drop by and i'll stick it on the tester FOC ...ALL THE BEST

canuck
27-Sep-06, 19:44
Just a thought - are the battery connections tight?

They may have worked themselves loose so that they sometimes don't make contact.

However, I know less about cars than I know about poetry and music, so you certainly are not getting any "professional" advise in this post.

brokencross
27-Sep-06, 19:58
Agree with canuk about battery connections.

Also where the plug leads connect to the plugs (if loose they can vibrate and break the connection temporarily causing loss of power)

A cracked distributor or worn rotor arm can also give these symptoms. If cars still have rotor arms that is!!?

Good Luck

highlander
27-Sep-06, 20:02
This thead and others like just prove what a fantastic community web site this is, the money you have saved by going to a garage, who would have cost you quite a few pounds, just to have a look, and here is everyone giving advice, telephone numbers and even dozy offering to look at the car for you.

Billy Boy
27-Sep-06, 20:07
This thead and others like just prove what a fantastic community web site this is, the money you have saved by going to a garage, who would have cost you quite a few pounds, just to have a look, and here is everyone giving advice, telephone numbers and even dozy offering to look at the car for you.

so true lol,were just like one big famliy:D now who can lend me a tenner:Razzcos mrs billy boy gives me nuffin

highlander
27-Sep-06, 20:15
Oh grrrrrrr mr and mrs billyboy, does that mean i have to stand behind you in the queue, hello folks, my names highlander, im skint, and would really like to help out giving money to fix the car and any extra left over will be used sensibly in tescos, thank you very much (nice nice people) lol

rockchick
27-Sep-06, 22:11
Wow...thanks everybody. Dozy, I am in Thurso so will PM you. I hate being "girly" and knowing so little about cars, and then when you go to the garage (and the guy makes that sucking in sound...you know the one) you never know if you're getting taken for a ride.

Should have taken shop in school!

caithnessboyagee
27-Sep-06, 22:20
That sound like the alternator my Fiat did that there's a guy up the achscrabster way that sorts them. Could just be the brushes needing replaced sorry can't mind his number .

brokencross
28-Sep-06, 07:37
Rockchick, when you do get your problem diagnosed and hopefully sorted, please let us know the outcome.

rockchick
01-Oct-06, 10:26
Just want to say Thanks to Dozy for confirming that it's not my alternator...best guess at the moment is that there is sludge in my fuel tank which is bunging up the fuel pump at odd moments. Apparently you're supposed to get your tank cleaned out every seven years? First I've heard of this.

Anyways, I'm going to take his advice and get a proper diagnostic done the next time I go to Inverness...Thanks everyone for the help.

saxovtr
01-Oct-06, 10:58
i would go to campbell gordons in wick,he has a excellent diagnostic machine,the money you spend going to inverness either way and getting it checked,ul havit sorted in wick!! what if your car breaks down going to inverness?going to be a nightmare gettingit taken bk,sounds like fuel filter!!

brokencross
01-Oct-06, 11:24
Rockchick, if it is the dirty fuel filter problem it will get worse. From bitter experience I know; the engine will cut out more often and can cut out at the most dangerous of times, ie pulling out of a junction, cutting across oncoming traffic, overtaking etc and put yourself and others at risk.
I agree with Saxovtr stay local, don't drive if you can avoid it and get it seen to a.s.a.p. Good Luck

rs 2k
01-Oct-06, 11:34
What type of car is it??

Even tho it is 10yrs old most manufactures had inline filters for the fuel, is it electric fuel pump that is on the car, lose wiring would make the car cut out unexplained

Give us a bit more info on the car and will c if us caithnesians can sort it out for u :D

rockchick
01-Oct-06, 16:48
It's a 1995 BMW 318i, and it was just serviced a couple of months ago so we eliminated the possibility of it being the filter. Dozy thought it might be the fuel pump inside the tank (?) (it is at this point my girlie-level of understanding of all things mechanical ends...) but suggested getting a proper diagnostic done at the beemer place in Inverness.

It doesn't happen that often, a few times when the car is cold and when I'm cutting the wheels tight when reversing.

rs 2k
01-Oct-06, 18:03
these cars have a fault display on the dash, is this light on indicating that theres a fault?
one of my work collegues had a problem with his bmw 525i(1996 model) it had a intermitant problem with not starting sometimes, he went around a few garages and they wouldn,t touch it with a barge-pole:roll: he came and asked me to have a look,which i did.......i checked the plugs,lead and cap but the spark would come and go,whilst doing the checks i noticed there was little pools of water sitting in various points under the bonnet,to this i asked him had he washed the car in the last couple of days,BINGO!!!!!!! he had and he washed in under the engine bay just the previous week-end, i opened up the fuse box and it was soaking,dried up the fuses and connections and hey presto, started 1st go!!!!!!!!!
it would be a bit of a scunner if it was something simple:confused

stratman
01-Oct-06, 21:44
Just a thought. The faultering at lock may be caused by a siezing power steering pump and that may cetainly cause some lack of power, but I would expect some squeeling (if they are beltdriven on a BMW)

oldmarine
02-Oct-06, 05:15
yes i would say it is the alternater. i had the same thing with my car a short time ago:eek:

Sounds familiar. I had the same problem with my car.

rockchick
02-Oct-06, 06:22
these cars have a fault display on the dash, is this light on indicating that theres a fault?
one of my work collegues had a problem with his bmw 525i(1996 model) it had a intermitant problem with not starting sometimes, he went around a few garages and they wouldn,t touch it with a barge-pole:roll: he came and asked me to have a look,which i did.......i checked the plugs,lead and cap but the spark would come and go,whilst doing the checks i noticed there was little pools of water sitting in various points under the bonnet,to this i asked him had he washed the car in the last couple of days,BINGO!!!!!!! he had and he washed in under the engine bay just the previous week-end, i opened up the fuse box and it was soaking,dried up the fuses and connections and hey presto, started 1st go!!!!!!!!!
it would be a bit of a scunner if it was something simple:confused

The only light that comes on is the battery indicator when the power dies. That light goes out when the car is re-started.

saxovtr
02-Oct-06, 08:32
id still say go to campbell gordons in wick,he has the best diagnostic machine up here,he dosnt mess about either,my m8 needed a coil pack for his car a while bk,but due to needing the car for work it was sorted the same day within 2hours,excellent service,and it wasnt even that expensive id get yourself to wick,driving to inverness could be dangerous,what if the car just cuts out?your going to have to get it towed for 1,not amongst the dangers of cutting out at a junction,to be honest your going to getting loads of opinions,but nobody has said its definately anything which is just rubbish really,ever thot running you car like this maybe affecting the long term lif of the engine........i wudnt like to say what it is but id just go get it checked out b4 it goes bang lol