PDA

View Full Version : Nail trimming?

Dadie
18-Jul-11, 23:23
Spot and Peppas nails are becoming embarrassingly long (as well as bordering on becoming uncomfortable) any tips and techiques on doing rabbits nails other than the dreaded styptic stick being on hand for when you cut too far (it must be so sore when that happens) and I dont want to bother the vet for something so seemingly simple (when you learn how) but the black nails on spot make it really hard to see where the blood supply ends and where its ok to cut.

mrsC2011
19-Jul-11, 01:16
Just trim them a wee bit at a time instead of takin a chunk of that's wat I do with my dog as she bs blk nails

Beat Bug
19-Jul-11, 10:43
You can buy special nail clippers for pets. We have one for Max, and they're designed so as they can't cut the skin. Failing that, take them to a pet grooming parlour!

unicorn
19-Jul-11, 11:02
I usually guage them to about the length of the width of my thumb and use normal clippers not the guilotine ones, personal preferance, if their nails are light you should be able to see the quicks easily and avoid them, if dark hold the paw to the light and you will see or shine a light behind the nail. Get someone else to hold them securely while you clip.

demac-artist
19-Jul-11, 23:25
Hi Dadie

Sent you a pm I am in wick I can trim them for you every two weeks to help get them back into shape

Deanne

Sarah
21-Jul-11, 15:36
I have these clippers, and they have never let me down! Never hurt anyone.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rabbits-Small-rodents-Birds-nail-scissors-clippers-/110655292688?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&hash=item19c391c510#ht_500wt_922

unicorn
21-Jul-11, 18:23
I use the same style but have a variety of sizes.