PDA

View Full Version : plans for the military bases

bagpuss
17-Jul-11, 19:41
Brother in law held a barbecue this afternoon. The Moray RAF bases were among the topics of conversation- and what to do with them, when the RAF are no longer there (the buzz was that all the Scottish RAF locations are for the chop)

Among the plans mooted were: an open prison; an asylum seekers camp; an Amazon warehouse and an IKEA

But also on the menu happened to be Fasslane and Vulcan.......

DeHaviLand
17-Jul-11, 20:43
This is just about the biggest load of rubbish I've ever had the misfortune to read.

Kells
17-Jul-11, 21:08
This is just about the biggest load of rubbish I've ever had the misfortune to read.
Very boring as well. :lol:

Corrie 3
17-Jul-11, 21:37
I was at my Brother in Laws BBQ today and he reckons they will all be bought out by Butlin's. I would prefer if they used them for holding Tory voters for the next 20 years on bread and water and flogged daily!!!

C3........:roll::roll:;)

sandyr1
17-Jul-11, 21:40
Brother in law held a barbecue this afternoon. The Moray RAF bases were among the topics of conversation- and what to do with them, when the RAF are no longer there (the buzz was that all the Scottish RAF locations are for the chop)

Among the plans mooted were: an open prison; an asylum seekers camp; an Amazon warehouse and an IKEA

But also on the menu happened to be Fasslane and Vulcan.......

I am totally amazed..........................
Many of us have 'connections'.....some of us quite a bit higher than your bragging rites.
Do we/ should we discuss things if this nature/ I highly doubt it!

John Little
17-Jul-11, 21:44
I was at my Brother in Laws BBQ today and he reckons they will all be bought out by Butlin's. I would prefer if they used them for holding Tory voters for the next 20 years on bread and water and flogged daily!!!

Nah - they might like that....

sandyr1
17-Jul-11, 21:47

Actually read a newspaper article a few days ago, that suggested one of the Scot North base was offered to Sir Richard Branson for his space project. Dare I mention Donald Trump??? Owe wow!

Phill
17-Jul-11, 22:30
While you're all name dropping at BBQ's I had a Babycham with Liam last night, here's the facts:

RAF Tain is to be a naturist camp
DTE Cape Wrath is to be sold of to Priory for a celeb rehab centre
RAF Lossiemouth has been assigned to the Muslim council of Britain
RAF Kinloss has been assigned to the English Defence League
RAF Leuchars will become the storage centre of the big boat that were buying but not using
HMNB Clyde will be opened up into an amusement / watersports park (all current facilities will be left in situ)
RAF Campbeltown will continue to be used by USAF as a top secret stealth aircraft base
The Portgower facility is still covered by a long standing D-Notice (DA-Notice) and the unmentioned underground research facility is classified, as are any future plans

bagpuss
18-Jul-11, 13:32
so...why don't you watch the news?

13000 further army jobs are due to go by 2020 (with the Territorials being called up- and you might hear about volunteers taking over on the front line at Afghanistan

However it looks as if one of the RAF places will be an army camp- territorials?

DeHaviLand
18-Jul-11, 14:26
so...why don't you watch the news?

13000 further army jobs are due to go by 2020 (with the Territorials being called up- and you might hear about volunteers taking over on the front line at Afghanistan

However it looks as if one of the RAF places will be an army camp- territorials?

Disregard my first post, this latest one of yours is now the stupidest thing I've ever read.

By 2020, there will no longer be British troops in Afghanistan, unless the mercans start a new war of course.
Volunteers on the front line of Afghanistan? What the hell do you think our brave troops are? We havent had conscripts in the British Army since the 1960's!
So what other kind of volunteers would you have us believe would be going there?

RAF Kinloss will become an army camp. 2 Scots, the Royal Regiment of Scotland, are currently based in Fallingbostel. The whole of BAOR is being closed down, 2 Scots will therefore become homeless. RAF Kinloss anyone?
Jaysus, how could anyone in their right mind possibly think that an ex RAF airbase would be suitable for turning into a bloody IKEA store? Maybe time to lay off the cooking sherry Bagpuss, or stop listening to the sort of rubbish espoused by politicians, who are after all, not exactly renowned for their honesty.

ps, I can just imagine your politico 'friends' having a quiet chuckle at your gullibility!

Eilanboy
18-Jul-11, 15:07
Disregard my first post, this latest one of yours is now the stupidest thing I've ever read.

By 2020, there will no longer be British troops in Afghanistan, unless the mercans start a new war of course.
Volunteers on the front line of Afghanistan? What the hell do you think our brave troops are? We havent had conscripts in the British Army since the 1960's!
So what other kind of volunteers would you have us believe would be going there?

RAF Kinloss will become an army camp. 2 Scots, the Royal Regiment of Scotland, are currently based in Fallingbostel. The whole of BAOR is being closed down, 2 Scots will therefore become homeless. RAF Kinloss anyone?
Jaysus, how could anyone in their right mind possibly think that an ex RAF airbase would be suitable for turning into a bloody IKEA store? Maybe time to lay off the cooking sherry Bagpuss, or stop listening to the sort of rubbish espoused by politicians, who are after all, not exactly renowned for their honesty.

ps, I can just imagine your politico 'friends' having a quiet chuckle at your gullibility!

Think you will find it is 4 Scots that are currently based in Fallingbostel.They would fit into one of the hangers at Kinloss.Who will occupy the rest of this large camp.

ducati
18-Jul-11, 15:59
Think you will find it is 4 Scots that are currently based in Fallingbostel.They would fit into one of the hangers at Kinloss.Who will occupy the rest of this large camp.

Do they spend all their time standing shoulder to shoulder? :lol:

Walter Ego
18-Jul-11, 16:10
I heard 2 Para were moving out of their bedsit and into a cowshed at Spittal.

ducati
18-Jul-11, 18:24
I heard 2 Para were moving out of their bedsit and into a cowshed at Spittal.

With only 4 Scots and 2 Paras their should be no problem fitting them in.

ducati
18-Jul-11, 18:32
Seriously, it looks like Liam has finally got to grips with trying to re-align the military with the modern likely threat.

Up to now, we would have a had a fair shot at halting the 10,000 Russian Tanks and 1 million men rolling through the Rhinelands. (with help from NATO). Trouble is, that hasn't been very likely for 30 years. :roll:

DeHaviLand
18-Jul-11, 18:52

Whoops, you're right of course Eilanboy, and I knew that. Brain fade, I think. Thanks for the correction. Fort george is to remain open, so that rules out the Black Watch filling another hangar. And Liam Fox didnt mention IKEA at all in his speech!

Gronnuck
18-Jul-11, 20:06
Whole garrisons are to close in Germany so there will be a few Regiments and their support arms needing accommodating somewhere. I see no problem in moving onto an airfield, the Army have done it many times before.
I'm a wee bit concerned that Liam Fox is reducing the numbers of Regulars and investing more in the Territorials. The politicians must have decided there will be less need in the future for a standing army (perhaps less involvement in other peoples' wars) and a larger part time citizen army is the way to go. I just wonder where we'll all be in five years time.

pat
18-Jul-11, 20:55
what happens when the TA decide they no longer want to go to war and resign?

Will this country have to go back to conscription to fight any wars the government get us into or when the need arises to defend our shores?

MissRosie
19-Jul-11, 00:50
LOL at Corrie 3! :lol: