PDA

View Full Version : George Groat

jessie
17-Jul-11, 17:17
Help needed please searching for a death year of 3xg grandfather George Groat c1798 Wick he was a ships master. his parents were William Groat /Anne or Anna Smith.
He married Janet Hunter b ireland. i have tried searching scotlands people but no luck on the site. he lived in Pultenny Town.
any help much appreciated.
Jessie.

cuthill
17-Jul-11, 20:55
Found George Groat born 18/01/1793 christened 27/01/1793 Canisbay,Caithness.He married Janet hunter 25/10/1816 Wick,Caithness,and his parents were William Groat and Anne Hunter but cant find a death.

Tricia
18-Jul-11, 16:00
George and Janet(Jessie) probably died before 1851 census.
"George Groat, Sailor in Louisburgh was matrimonially contracted to Janet Hunter in Pulteneytown. Cautioners David Durrand and
William Durrand both in Pulteneytown. The said persons were married on Oct 25th 1816."

Their son George married Helen Budge (my1C3r).
Which line are you.
Tricia

jessie
20-Jul-11, 11:14
Thank you cuthill and Tricia for the info George Groat Ships master was my 3xg grandfther his parents were William Groat /Anna Smith. my George was b in Cannisbay. his Daughter Janet Groat was my 2xg gran she married John Rosie and her daughter Janet Rosie was 1xg gran who married John Winchester.
i cannot find anything on myself on George not even on a census. i was told there is a headstone in the old cemetary in Wick fo him with the emblem of mortality on it.
his wife janet hunter i found died 1848 age 52. she was b in ireland is there any way i can find where in ireland she was born.
Kind Regards
Jessie.

Tricia
20-Jul-11, 12:56
In Wick Book of MIs from Wick Old Cem
197. Flat Stone. Janet Hunter 29.6.1848, ed h Geo Groat Shipmaster.
198. Flat Stone. Geo Groat; emblems mortality.
Can't help any more -
but looks as though he died after 1848 if he had stone erected for Janet!

jessie
20-Jul-11, 22:35
Thanks Tricia
i appreciated all the help you have given me. just one question do you know what the emblems mortality mean.
Thanks again
jessie.

Tricia
21-Jul-11, 12:14
http://www.pharmcat.demon.co.uk/cemetery/emblem.htm
‘emblems of mortality’, such
as a coffin, skull, hour-glass and crossed
bones; third, winged souls, suggesting
ascent into Heaven.
Perhaps some kind person when next in Wick could see what is on the stone.

ps my George Groat and Helen Budge are buried in Wick Old Municipal Cem:
full name age birth year burial year relationship notes
George Groat 71 1825 1896
Helen Budge 78 1829 1907 wife of George Groat

Tricia
21-Jul-11, 12:45
Hi Jessie. I am sure you may have all current data on Janet Groat's family but in case you don't I have contact with Mary Groat's gx2 g'son.

Janet's marriage 1855 does not say her father deceased! but mother deceased
although Ann Groat's marriage 1859 says father deceased. ( I assume you have these certs)

jessie
07-Mar-12, 16:35
HiTricia
Sorry for not ansering your message sooner. i was in wick last summer trying to find some info on my Groat family. i never had much luck apart from finding the death of janet Hunter.
i did find the grave of George Groat/ Helen Budge took a photo of headstone. could noti would find George Or Janets headstones.
I would be obliged if you could find any info for me from Mary Groats 2x grandson, this may be a lot to ask but any info he has i would realy appreciate.
First is Marys brother Ewings b 1832 he had three daughters two of them were living with ann groat in pultenytown one was Mary b 1853 glasgow i found her. the other was janet Hunter Groat b 1855 glasgow wonder if he knows were she went cannot find her, the other daughter Catherine i found in argyleshire.
Could you please ask if he knows anything of my 3xg George Groat he was a ships master i cannot find his death, it seems in wick they had no records so i couldnt buy any certs.
i also have marys brother john b 1819 wick . i found ewings married again in portsea hampshire one sn George james Groat b 1861 after that i have lost him.
i have the family of george and helen .
any help i would realy appreciate.

Tricia
08-Mar-12, 13:57
George and Janet's buriel would be in Wick Old Parish KIRK cemetery
n Wick Book of MIs from Wick Old Cem
197. Flat Stone. Janet Hunter 29.6.1848, ed h Geo Groat Shipmaster.
198. Flat Stone. Geo Groat; emblems mortality.

While my George Groat & Helen Budge are in Wick Old MUNICIPAL Cemetery
http://www.gravestonephotos.com/

John Rosie and Janet in 1861

ROSIE John Head M M 34 Shoemaker CAI Wick
ROSIE Janet Wife M F 28 Do Wife CAI Wick
ROSIE Janet Daur O F 5 O CAI Wick
ROSIE David Son O M 3 O CAI Wick
ROSIE George Son O M 9m O CAI Wick

Janet b 1833? Think on ancestry tree you have 1839? but marriage in 1855 also says aged 22. so birth c 1833

will get back to you on Mary's side

Janet2
08-Mar-12, 22:16
Hi Tricia
Thank you for the info on the rose family. i have some but not that info.
I did look in the old cemetery but couldn't find george or Janet's headstones there were so many in ruins. hubby and me searched all over there was no one there to ask.
the wick old municipal cem there were two men working in there who showed me all the names of people buried there . it's a shame as the record's they have are not in a book just loose sheet's of paper. at least they were very helpfull.
John and janet Rosie both died in Edinburgh i have thier death cert's from scotland's people.

Janet2
13-Mar-12, 20:16
Hi Tricia
I found this on ancestry not sure wether you have this info. just in case you havn't here it is.
Janet Hunter Groat b 1863 Pultenytown F George Groat carpenter.
Married 28 Feb 1890 James Drysdale Father Thomas.
Parish of Chaldon Herring Wareham Dorset.
Janet age 27 James age 28.
Occ of james H M Coastguard Service.
Witnese's George C Goudel[ looks like]
Elizabeth Jane Goudel.
Do you know what happened to James & Janet. she was the daughter of Helen Budge.
Barbara.

Mamie_2
21-Mar-12, 13:24
When did he die please? Beside the fact that I have an interest in ALL Rosie's his half brother David 1820 is the son of Rachel Manson who married my 3rd great granduncle Thomas Innes.

Mamie aka Maryann Rosie

Janet2
02-Apr-12, 20:48
I will have to get back to you about the year of death of John Rosie my 2xg grandfather. i am in the middle of moving house so all my info is packed.
barbara.

nems6
12-Sep-12, 16:18
I am also researching the Groat family. George Groat was my gr gr grandfather through his daughter Ann who married my gr grandfather Robert Anderson. I am only at the beginning of my search so would appreciate any information you may have.

nems6
12-Sep-12, 16:22
Mary and Janet Groat stayed in Wick with my gr grandmother Ann and husband Robert Anderson(1861 census). If you have any further information I would welcome it as I am only at the beginning of my research. Thanks

Janet2
15-Sep-12, 22:35
I found Janet and mary groat on a census living with ann and robert Anderson. i also found Mary groat's death on scotlands people. she died a spinster in Glasgow.
i havn't found Janet groat yet. do you know what happened to her.?
Mary and janet hunter Groat were the daughter's of Ewings Groat and Catherine Mckeller they had a sister Catherine sad to say thier mother Catherine died not long after daughter Catherine was born. Catherine Mckeller's parents brought her up. Looking at Catherine's marriage to Walter Cameron she does not give her parent's name's but her grandparent's. Catherine and Walter lived in Bute Argyle.
ann was Ewings sister as was my gg gran janet who married John Rosie.
I would be obliged if you do find anything on Janet if you will let me know please.
Jessie.

her